My Spiders

Spepper

Arachnodemon
First off I'd like to say that it's Ararchnoboards that got me into spiders. My whole life I've never cared for them much... really I was scared of some of them. I've been into just about any kind of "bug" but spiders. Still, there's a lot I'd never wish to keep as pets. But I have found two, wild-caught, that I am comfortable with and find fascinating. :) Here they are.

image.jpg
A cellar-spider. I don't know it's scientific name. It also had just molted in the picture.

image.jpg
My Thiodina hespera.

image.jpg
My T. hespera again... eating a fly as big as he is!!! I find that amazing.

Well anyway, I hope you enjoyed the pictures of my small—very small—collection of spiders. If I add any more to my collection I'll post pictures of them here as well. :)

PlaidJaguar

Arachnoknight
That hespera is so cute!! I'm also impressed that he can take on a fly his own size. Tough little buggers, aren't they? :)

Spepper

Arachnodemon
The hespera is my favorite. But I like the way the cellar spider wraps up it's prey. But what I like a lot about the jumper is that it can take on larger, stronger bugs, is bright and colorful, and seems to have an eye on everything at once.

Lucidd

Arachnoknight
Nice spiders! I think it's really cool that fear can be turned into admiration like that. Happened to me too. :)

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Cellar Spider: pholcid. Look around and collect some more. Get a little harem going. They are quite social and share their webs. A male and several of his girlfriends munch a flying termite while another female watches. Males will duke it out for control of the ladies.

Last edited:

Spepper

Arachnodemon
Cellar Spider: pholcid. Look around and collect some more. Get a little harem going. They are quite social and share their webs. A male and several of his girlfriends munch a flying termite while another female watches. Males will duke it out for control of the ladies.
Nice picture! We have tons of these around. And I think it must be egg-laying season (if they have one) for them too because there are two females with egg sacs I know of outside, and a third large adult I think might be gravid. When they have eggs I love the way they make a little ball/dome out of web around themselves. I will look around. How do you tell a male from a female of them though? They all look the same to me, unles it's carrying eggs. LOL

JayDangerVL

Arachnosquire
I do love jumpers. They're total warriors. :) Thanks for sharing! Great pictures!

Spepper

Arachnodemon
I do love jumpers. They're total warriors. :) Thanks for sharing! Great pictures!
They are warriors. I love this little guy. He's actually the first jumper I've found of any size at all. Most of the ones I find are pin-head sized. I would like to find a female too, but I don't know if I want to sacrifice him to her. :p

JayDangerVL

Arachnosquire
They are warriors. I love this little guy. He's actually the first jumper I've found of any size at all. Most of the ones I find are pin-head sized. I would like to find a female too, but I don't know if I want to sacrifice him to her. :p
Hahah, I know that feel. I have an immature male P. Audax that I want to mate off at some point, but I'm worried that I'll grow too attached to him to even dare let him near a female.

Spepper

Arachnodemon
image.jpg

I didn't actually catch this spider, but I thought some people on here might find it interesting. :) It's eating a tiny centipede. Somehow a centipede got caught in it's web, and ended up breakfast. LOL I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw what it had. I found it interesting.

What I did catch I don't have a picture of right now, but it was a female cellar spider which I had successfully predicted was gravid, because today I went out there and she had an egg sack. I moved her in with my other cellar spider which I think is also a female, and hopefully I'll have babies eventually.

lancej

Arachnolord
Very nice spiders! As for breeding jumpers, the few times I have done it, they were very gentle with each other. They have a very complex, visual dance they perform that is really fascinating.

Spepper

Arachnodemon
Very nice spiders! As for breeding jumpers, the few times I have done it, they were very gentle with each other. They have a very complex, visual dance they perform that is really fascinating.
I thought they did. One time I saw a couple jumpers (I don't know what species) doing their dance on TV. It was quite interesting. Still, I don't know if I would do it. Hmmm. I guess I really don't need to worry about answering that question though, since I don't remember even seeing a female T. hespera before. (Nor do I have one.) I know one has to be out there somewhere, since I found my male, but I've never found one. LOL

lancej

Arachnolord
They are often found on trees. Try looking around where you found the male, and look around the same time as you found him also. Now you know they are there, you might just get lucky. :)

Spepper

Arachnodemon
They are often found on trees. Try looking around where you found the male, and look around the same time as you found him also. Now you know they are there, you might just get lucky. :)
Good advice, thank you! I might just try that!

Spepper

Arachnodemon
image.jpg

I found this little guy (girl?) and wondered what it was. He/she is now added to my collection, although I have a feeling it might be in the widow family. Any ideas what it is exactly? Thanks. :)

ZergFront

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Looks like a juvenile widow of some sort. Maybe someone who has bred widows will know which species.

Spepper

Arachnodemon
I have a sneaking suspicion it's a black widow spiderling. On it's underside is a pale reddish brown hourglass shape.

Spepper

Arachnodemon
image.jpg

Well I added a wolf spider to my collection now. I think it's a female. I fed it a mealworm and it attacked it. LOL