HELP! I have mold on my H. incei!

The Red Queen

Mrs. TarCan
The other day I found some kind of black mold growing in the vial holding my H. incei spiderling (who just molted Sunday), so I put him in a clean vial and cleaned out the area where the vial was sitting. Now I see the same mold growing ON HIM! It is all over his abdomen! I tried to use a small paint brush to get it off of him, but he wouldn’t stay still long enough for it to do much good. I am afraid that the mold will get into his book lungs. I now have him in a bone dry vial, hoping that the mold will die off, but I don’t know what else I can do...

Anybody have any suggestions?

Amanda

pelo

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Maybe "dampen" a q-tip with rubbing alcohol and give it a rub being careful not to get any on the booklungs....

The Red Queen

Mrs. TarCan
pelo said:
Maybe "dampen" a q-tip with rubbing alcohol and give it a rub being careful not to get any on the booklungs....
I'll give it a try Pete, but the problem is still getting him to sit still. I thought about putting him in the fridge for a few minutes to slow him down, but he's so small that I'm afraid it'll hurt him:(

Shox

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
can you or anyone else post a picture of this mold on a T. ?

My T. Blondi has sum kinda discoloration on her abdomen but it has been there thru 2 molts...so i dunno what that could be heh

The Red Queen

Mrs. TarCan
I tried to take a pic, but he is too small to see it clearly.

If the discoloration on your T. blondi has been there through 2 molts, then it probably is not mold/fungus.

The Red Queen

Mrs. TarCan
I think my little guy is on his way out... he is almost completely covered in the mold, and I can't get rid of it no matter what I do:(

I'll be placing an obituary as soon as he kicks the bucket...

Amanda

P.S. Tarantula Obituaries might make a good sticky

Tamara

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Since he's almost on his way out, maybe try something drastic. Since mold likes moisture and warmth, how about putting him in a dry container in the fridge. I know you thought about this before, but it's pretty risky. If he's not going to make it, maybe try it anyway to see if it discourages/kills the mold. It's too bad this happened to the little guy. Let's hope it doesn't spread to any of your other Ts. :(
Good luck,
Tamara

MrFeexit

Arachnodork
Old Timer
Again...drastic but what if you took a bit of lysol spray on a q-tip. It kills molds and mildews...might work enough to halt the growth. Just an idea and I am not sure of how good an idea it is but if the T might die from mold...I guess I would give it a shot.

Scorpiove

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Another last ditch effort...... What about bleach on a q-tip? just make sure you keep it away from the lungs.

Critterfarm

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
even one more drastic measure -
As a last ditch effort I put atheletes foot cream on some tortoise eggs that were molding...killed the mold and *most* of the eggs hatched

MrFeexit

Arachnodork
Old Timer
Scorpiove said:
Another last ditch effort...... What about bleach on a q-tip? just make sure you keep it away from the lungs.
This might be a good one. A bleach water mix. Chlorine breaks down rather quickly so there would not not be any long term residuals.

The Red Queen

Mrs. TarCan
Thanks for all of the suggestions guys, but it's too late :( I found the little guy dead this morning. Here is his obituary:

"Froggy"
? - May 11, 2004
He was a cute little booger and will be missed by all...

spider

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Sorry for the loss.

If I were you,I would do a rough down scrubbing of the whoole area.Just move the other T`s,temporarily into another room,and scrub down where the mold was and a little further than just that area.

Just and idea. :)

Sorry for your loss...I know how it feels;I lost 2 of my most prized tarantulas in the same day! :(

Or...Was the mold in the container? If so,Forget my suggestion. :)

Last edited: