Help Identifying

thatgengirl

Arachnopeon
My neighbour found a small spider in her box of pomegranates. It has a solid red back and long blue fangs. It is about the size of a dime and definitely an aggressive jumper. She's been misting it every day, and feeding it maggots. She says that when the spider attacks a maggot, the maggot turns black seconds later. This spider webs a cozy bed for herself, and has already moulted once, so I know it's happy little thing, but just what the heck is it? No one can figure it out. The pomegranates came from South America. She has pictures, and I've encouraged her to come to this site as she really wants to find the spider a good home. I'm considering it myself, but I need to know just how venomous it is first. :confused:

Last edited:

WithCerberus

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Sounds like a really cool spider. I'd love to see some pics. If you do take it i'd probably be careful around it though, just to be safe :)
Bobby

cricket54

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Sounds like a type of jumping spider we have here. Its the actual pediapalps that have the bright colors. Some of them here have a neon green there on them. They jump and pounce on their victims quite quickly.

Sharon

T 'n T

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Thatgengirl, where did your neighbor get pomegranates in May? I'm addicted to them but can only find them around Thanksgiving time. :}