• The Report forums are closed to new reports.

Please use our new Reviews & Reports section to leave reports.

Information on how to use our new Reports section can be found in our Tutorials forum.

Hysterocrates gigas

galeogirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have to preface this by saying that I am allergic to most insect bites and stings, so it's probable that my reaction was more severe than what most people would experience.

A few years ago I was bitten by a juvenile H. gigas (just over an inch in size) while transferring it to a new enclosure. It sank one fang into the tip of my right index finger. I didn't even feel the bite, it wasn't until I noticed thin, watery blood dripping from my finger that I realized I'd been bitten.

Within a few hours, my hand and arm started to swell and I felt a burning pain in the joints of that arm all the way to the shoulder. I wasn't showing any serious symptoms of poisoning, so I took some Benadryl and started superhydrating myself with water and electrolyte solution.

Eventually my hand swelled so much that I couldn't bend my fingers and the skin was very red up to my elbow. The swelling and pain lasted about 48 hours, peaking within 12 hours of the actual bite, when it felt like my joints were being jolted with electricity every few seconds.

This was the only time I've ever been bitten by a tarantula, I'm certainly more cautious with spiderlings than I was before this incident.

D

dannye

I was also bitten by H. gigas. Specimen was approx 1.5", was an escapee that "found" me while I was on the couch. I am allergic to insect bites and stings and found it to be relatively nothing exciting. I thought I'd have more reaction than I did. The bite was on my right forearm and I didn't even know I was bitten until I felt the area get hot. I looked down to see the tell-tale puncture mark(x2) and must say I didn't see the spider at this point so I can't be 100% positive this is what bit, although I'm 95% sure.

The area swelled and got very hot for about two hours, I'd say the raised up area was the circumference of a tennis ball. After about two hours I experienced very mild itching for approximately 1/2 hour. I was left with a bit of a scar in the area, nothing to write home about.

All in all it wasn't even remotely as bad as I thought a T bite would be for me, considering my allergies to bees, wasps and ants. Could have been a dry bite. Could have been a love nip. Who's to say?

Alexanderr

Arachnopeon
H. Gigas

Hello there , just got tagged by my 3" H.Gigas. The pain from the bite was VERY painful and for now i am feeling good , she bit me 1-2 hours ago. The most annoying thing tho is that when i clean my hands the place where she bit me starts to burn LIKE HELL . Will keep you posted in the next days.