The Tarantula Bibliography :: October 2013 release :: Poecilotheria revision!

Michael Jacobi

ARACHNOCULTURE MAGAZINE
Old Timer

The Tarantula Bibliography : October 2013 release

My Tarantula Bibliography has been updated. At present the family Theraphosidae is comprised of 939 species in 125 genera.

Major changes include: Poecilotheria revision.

Thanks to Ray Gabriel for sending me an advance PDF of the paper just published in the British Tarantula Society Journal. This new paper by my friends Ray, Richard Gallon and Andrew Smith creates three new synonymies.

Poecilotheria vittata POCOCK, 1895 is removed from synonymy with P. striata POCOCK, 1895 and regarded as the senior synonym of Poecilotheria pederseni KIRK, 2001. So all you Pokie keepers who have "pederseni" can now make new cage labels to read P. vittata! The species pederseni is no more. My regrets to Nicolai Pedersen ;(

Also, P. uniformis is regarded as a junior synonym of P. subfusca POCOCK, 1895 and P. pococki is regarded as a junior synonym of P. smithi KIRK, 2001

GABRIEL, R., R. GALLON & A. SMITH. 2013.
The revised taxonomical status of some species (of) Poecilotheria Simon, 1885 (Araneae: Theraphosidae).
Journal of the British Tarantula Society 28(3): 103-110.

LINKS
  • To visit The Tarantula Bibliography click here.
  • To download the PDF species list click here.
  • To subscribe to my email updates click here.

... interesting side note ... at least to me ;) ...
Not surprisingly, the majority of visitors to my Tarantula Bibliography are from the US (35%) or the UK (13%). The two countries that represent the third largest number of visitors might surprise you. Without access to the data I (and maybe you) would have guessed Germany to be one. However, the Germans are in a three-way tie for fourth with Canadians and Brazilians (about 3% each). Third place is a tie between....................... Philippines and South Africa (6.5% each).

Last edited:

Poxicator

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
A full article of the changes to these Poecilotheria is available in the new BTS journal