OBT sling care

Decaryi

Arachnopeon
Hello all,
just got three OBT's first OW tarantulas for me. they are well started slings I plan on rehousing them from the drams into a container that will bring them up comfortably to juvie size. I have read that they are both terrestrial and arboreal. how valid is this and what would the optimum way to house these little buggers? I was considering pint and a half wide mouth mason jars for them and my T gigas slings. but with more substrate for the OBT's, but I am open to suggestions....
Thanks all

SuzukiSwift

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The beauty of raising OBT slings is that they are good in pretty much any environment, they will work with nearly anything you give them. Provide some packed in substrate for burrowing and also some cork bark for webbing from and those OBTs will be as happy as happy can be =)

Decaryi

Arachnopeon
So I guess Ill try the mason jars and set it up like an arboreal with extra substrate.

spiderengineer

Arachnoangel
So I guess Ill try the mason jars and set it up like an arboreal with extra substrate.
I usually do a half and half for OBT meaning half the jar has dirt for burrowing and the other half is for webbing above ground.

Stirmi

Arachnosquire
IMO they arent arboreal they are terrestrial to burrower, in the 20+ obts ive raised none have ever chosen to web above ground only on the ground or underneath it. of course individuals vary and many people report theres acting arboreal

Decaryi

Arachnopeon
Thats what I have heard as well Stirmi.... Spider engineer thats what Ill do... I have 3 Ill post here their habits!!

Curious jay

Arachnodemon
IMO they arent arboreal they are terrestrial to burrower, in the 20+ obts ive raised none have ever chosen to web above ground only on the ground or underneath it. of course individuals vary and many people report theres acting arboreal
I've read a few people saying each colour forms supposedly have different preferences but I'm unsure on accuracy of that...

My RCF OBT as a sling was setup in an arboreal tank (500ml screwtop container) I provided 1/3 of the setup as substrate and placed a single false leaf in there for it to build around..... Its now around 2-2.5" and the setup is just web tunnels with a small amount of sub that its hollowed out.

Here's a short video of it before it went into premolt for its latest molt:

Here's a video of how it redesigned just before its latest molt:

Just remembered... This second video doesn't show the whole setup as I thought I was recording it for a minute or two previously when I actually wasn't lol.

(May have to double click the stills to go to the video)

kellysaxez

Arachnosquire
I usually do a half and half for OBT meaning half the jar has dirt for burrowing and the other half is for webbing above ground.
Hi SpiderEngineer :) I have just purchased from JR's Inverts my first OBT, just .5 inch sling. I plan on using your formula for housing. I have a very mini critter keeper from Jamie's T's to raise it to about 1.5" 1 3/4" in, and then it's on to a mini critter keeper that will have about 3 - 4 inches of substrate on one side and a small cork bark "tree" on the other with a bottle cap with a pebble in it to drink from. I will adjust size of critter keeper until it's fully grown, at which point I will house him/her in a 20 gal. Perhaps some would think this too extravagant for a T, especially one of a smaller size, but really, if I put the necessary items for webbing, some rocks to stretch and climb on or under, a water dish, and enough substrate to burrow into I think it will live a very happy life. I know .5 inches is very small sling to start with, but I feel confident, after reading your post here and others' recommendations, that it will work well. I now have one LP, Pickles, one GBB, Jewlz, both of which I raised from 1/1/2" slings, and two P. imperator scorplings that I raised from about 3/4" to a now fat and happy 3". I can be blamed for maybe being an over attendant or worried "parent", but, better safe than sorry. I think I'm ready for an OW T. And thanks for your post, it helped me make my choice to go ahead and give one a home :)

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Dry substrate, good ventilation, and a water bowl. You'll want tongs or forceps, as your fingers should never go in there. I trust you've read bite reports for OBT's.

I wouldn't use mason jars; that went out 30 years ago when plastic deli cups became popular. Glass jars don't allow for cross ventilation, which is important. You want a proportionately large container for fast-moving spiders so you don't a jack-in-the-box effect. What kind of lid with a mason jar anyways? You want a clear lid so you can so what's going on as you open it up. Screen isn't a good idea as terrestrials can chew thru it (fiberglass and aluminum). Screw-on lids can catch spider legs in them.

gobey

Arachnoknight
I have 2. Maybe a little under an inch now. They grow quick Kelly. Real quick.

They both covered the lid of the deli cup with web... And stayed in the web. Like a trampoline. Acting very arboreal. Much different than my adult who now is no longer even the display T she used to be and is completely burrowed in like pet dirt.

These 2 slings are BY FAR my most frustrating Ts to work with too. So be prepared. My only escape, actual escape, came from an OBT sling. My avicularia had strolled out of it's keeper a few times way back before it made it's web. But the OBT straight BOLTED the one time I opened the lid fully. They always have escape on the mind. So feed and water very carefully. In the bathroom I'd recommend.
Never open the lid all the way if it's in deli containers.

I'm no expert. In fact I rushed in. But of my 2 other OW slings species (P. regalis, H. maculata) they are both much calmer and easier to work with as they shy into their hides and stay put.

The OBTs are not afraid of me. Maybe it's just mine. The adult is actually much more manageable.

I've heard from many that horned baboons (Ceratogyrus) are a better first OW. And I wish I'd gotten 2 of them instead of taking these OBTs. Raising and rehousing will be a pain. I think they need a more enthusiastic hobbyist to adopt them at some point. Hopefully in trade,

Anyways not trying to scare you.

Just prepare yourself. These guys clearly have a reputation for a reason. And it starts at a small size!

They do grow into beautiful spiders.

Graeboe

Arachnoknight
Honestly in my opinion as soon as the OBT is to big to squeeze through any holes, the largest kritter keeper that will hold it. The top opening lid makes my cleanup, feeding and watering a breeze. And if you pre start a burrow/cave for them they will usually just move right on in. Both my obts are in large KK and I have no issues with them now

cold blood

Staff member

Your future set up sounds nice...but in the end it will just look exactly like everyone else's....all webbed up and everything buried or covered, with holes/tunnels going through it. Putting it in a larger final enclosure will then allow for a greater likelihood for some landscaping to survive the mighty spinnerets of the OBT....

hehe, that end doesn't get enough credit:wink:

kellysaxez

Arachnosquire
I have 2. Maybe a little under an inch now. They grow quick Kelly. Real quick.

They both covered the lid of the deli cup with web... And stayed in the web. Like a trampoline. Acting very arboreal. Much different than my adult who now is no longer even the display T she used to be and is completely burrowed in like pet dirt.

These 2 slings are BY FAR my most frustrating Ts to work with too. So be prepared. My only escape, actual escape, came from an OBT sling. My avicularia had strolled out of it's keeper a few times way back before it made it's web. But the OBT straight BOLTED the one time I opened the lid fully. They always have escape on the mind. So feed and water very carefully. In the bathroom I'd recommend.
Never open the lid all the way if it's in deli containers.

I'm no expert. In fact I rushed in. But of my 2 other OW slings species (P. regalis, H. maculata) they are both much calmer and easier to work with as they shy into their hides and stay put.

The OBTs are not afraid of me. Maybe it's just mine. The adult is actually much more manageable.

I've heard from many that horned baboons (Ceratogyrus) are a better first OW. And I wish I'd gotten 2 of them instead of taking these OBTs. Raising and rehousing will be a pain. I think they need a more enthusiastic hobbyist to adopt them at some point. Hopefully in trade,

Anyways not trying to scare you.

Just prepare yourself. These guys clearly have a reputation for a reason. And it starts at a small size!

They do grow into beautiful spiders.
Thank you very kindly for your response Gobey. You give me a lot to consider. I do plan on doing most re-housing while it is still small in the tub, with rubber gloves, and making sure I announce my "presence" and "intentions" by tapping whatever enclosure it is in (gently) until it makes its position in the tank known. If it doesn't, it's try another day for me. No reason to panic, just be cautious and mindful of what I am dealing with. Lawdy this is going to be an interesting undertaking. Beautiful species to be sure though, color wise anyway. I have read the bite reports, yes, which only enhances my decision to be ultra uber careful.

gobey

Arachnoknight
Thank you very kindly for your response Gobey. You give me a lot to consider. I do plan on doing most re-housing while it is still small in the tub, with rubber gloves, and making sure I announce my "presence" and "intentions" by tapping whatever enclosure it is in (gently) until it makes its position in the tank known. If it doesn't, it's try another day for me. No reason to panic, just be cautious and mindful of what I am dealing with. Lawdy this is going to be an interesting undertaking. Beautiful species to be sure though, color wise anyway. I have read the bite reports, yes, which only enhances my decision to be ultra uber careful.
Good. I wish you and your Ts the best. I just learned real quick that these guys should be taken quite seriously at the smallest sizes.

Not that my other OW species shouldn't either. They just behave much differently.

I find it odd that my adult OBT is actually less nerve wracking than the slings.

As such I wouldn't want somebody to think "oh whatever the OBT is only a sling it'll be fine".

Conversely I wonder about how my pokies and H. macs will act as they grow up.

I actually have to remove some dead mealworms from my OBT slings enclosures. Not looking forward to that. I may just rehouse them while I'm at it.

kellysaxez

Arachnosquire
Good. I wish you and your Ts the best. I just learned real quick that these guys should be taken quite seriously at the smallest sizes.

Not that my other OW species shouldn't either. They just behave much differently.

I find it odd that my adult OBT is actually less nerve wracking than the slings.

As such I wouldn't want somebody to think "oh whatever the OBT is only a sling it'll be fine".

Conversely I wonder about how my pokies and H. macs will act as they grow up.

I actually have to remove some dead mealworms from my OBT slings enclosures. Not looking forward to that. I may just rehouse them while I'm at it.
"I find it odd that my adult OBT is actually less nerve wracking than the slings."

RE: I have seen some youtube vids where the keepers are actually HANDLING these critters when adults, letting them crawl on their hands and arms etc. Must have fed them Thorazine or something cause it's a BIG hello no for me on that score, unless, of course, I get lucky and end up with an OBT that thinks it's a Rosie... and I did see one vid where the OBT (F) accepted food from its keeper's fingers in the gentlest manner. Again, a no for me, that's what tongs are for.

"I actually have to remove some dead mealworms from my OBT slings enclosures. Not looking forward to that."

RE: Find out where the T is at so you don't suck them up by mistake and then go grab a Dust Devil mini vac :)

gobey

Arachnoknight
The handling of OBTs is either manipulated, lucky, or only the part of the video before he's bitten or the spider flees. In any case it's about the equivalent of checking your snow blower by sticking your hand in it.

I have a pair of 18" tongs for all things OBT maintenance. It'll soon be for Pokie maintenance and one day for H
mac maintenance too. Not messing with my hands in OW cages. If I need to clean I block her off in her hide.

I fill her water dish with a turkey baster.

As for the slings... The issue is I think they're going to run out of the cups while I remove the dead prey. And they don't quite have hides. Just web. They kind of treat their enclosure AS their hide. so I think it may be easier to give them a bigger home now.

I also have to give my smaller H. mac a new spot of moss to make a hide in. His has come unhinged from the ground and the mealworm is stuck to the entrance. I can't remove it without pulling the whole hide out. And he got very distressed. Also not a T I want on the loose or biting. Even at that size.

Baboons are cool. But serious business.

IHeartTs

Arachnobaron
The handling of OBTs is either manipulated, lucky, or only the part of the video before he's bitten or the spider flees. In any case it's about the equivalent of checking your snow blower by sticking your hand in it.

I have a pair of 18" tongs for all things OBT maintenance. It'll soon be for Pokie maintenance and one day for H
mac maintenance too. Not messing with my hands in OW cages. If I need to clean I block her off in her hide.

I fill her water dish with a turkey baster.

As for the slings... The issue is I think they're going to run out of the cups while I remove the dead prey. And they don't quite have hides. Just web. They kind of treat their enclosure AS their hide. so I think it may be easier to give them a bigger home now.

I also have to give my smaller H. mac a new spot of moss to make a hide in. His has come unhinged from the ground and the mealworm is stuck to the entrance. I can't remove it without pulling the whole hide out. And he got very distressed. Also not a T I want on the loose or biting. Even at that size.

Baboons are cool. But serious business.
Its luck. Sheer luck or a g pulchripes wearing a obt suit. OBTs are one of the worst first OW by far imo. Most unpredictabe thing I've ever seen. I'm glad I never had to deal with obt slings lol. Although my ezendami is quite the escape artist.Out of my fast and defensive species, my poecs and psalms stay put the best even when they're exposed. Makes my life easier.

Graeboe

Arachnoknight
Ok just because everytime I see this thread pop to the top of the list one thought crosses my mind. Do they make a Hannibal Lecture mask that will fit an OBT?

IHeartTs

Arachnobaron
Ok just because everytime I see this thread pop to the top of the list one thought crosses my mind. Do they make a Hannibal Lecture mask that will fit an OBT?
I'm working on that. The prototype was unsuccessful

Graeboe

Arachnoknight
image.jpg

So what I shouldn't have been cutting pasting blacking out backrounds and editing my t photos while at work and adding a mask lol gotta love free versions of apps that won't let you save a pic to camera roll