Ceratogyrus Darlingi Temperment

Driller64

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Since I am planning on getting one of these guys as my next T, what is their temperment? They are old world Ts so I know they can't be too friendly...

Sent from my SGH-T589 using Tapatalk 2

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
No, not friendly, but one of the easiest OW's to work with. They grow fast, have great appetites, and if kept on dry substrate, are tough, hardy spiders. It doesn't take much to get them into a threat pose, but what makes them easy is that they hold their ground, and don't bolt or race around (like P murinus). As long as you stay several inches from them, you won't get bit. They like to dig and spin, very industrious.

You picked a great OW to start with.

Driller64

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Thanks for the quick and good response. I wanted to get an OW because I think a more aggressive T would also be more interesting.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Thanks for the quick and good response. I wanted to get an OW because I think a more aggressive T would also be more interesting.
They're very interesting, I prefer OW personalities and work ethics.

Mike41793

Arachnoknight
I have a darlingi and a meridionalis. I can't wait to get more ceratogyrus, they're awesome. They make cool tunnels and web quite a bit. They're good eaters and growers. They're quick but not crazy fast. Arguably my favorites in my collection! :)

Also, i've noticed that both mine do this and i'm not sure if they all do or if mine are just weird.... I'll feed them a roach and they'll wrestle it and kill it then leave it in their burrow and come out looking for more food. I know thats what they're doing because sometimes instead of one big roach i'll give them a smaller one, wait for them to come back out, them offer another, which they take too. They're greedy little pigs lol. None of my other T's do that, that i've noticed.

ReclusiveDemon

Arachnosquire
I have a question about Ceratogyrus: what are the horns for? Also, is it true that only females have the horn?

Sorry for jacking your topic, driller. :p

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Since I am planning on getting one of these guys as my next T, what is their temperment? They are old world Ts so I know they can't be too friendly...

I have had that species, and I currently have C. marshalli (this species has the LARGEST horn, up to 1 cm!). They aren't friendly, they EAT! My 1/2" spiderling is eating about 2 crickets every other day.

Best thing about the horned, is that only the females get the horn, so its easy to sex them! They are fast though, quick bolts.

Here's a link to of mine that made a tower in a few hours! http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?256329-What-an-industrious-builder!!

---------- Post added 11-15-2013 at 08:00 PM ----------

They grow fast, .
What kind of growth rates have you observed? I've only owned an adult, and my marshalli is my first horned spiderling. Thanks

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
What kind of growth rates have you observed? I've only owned an adult, and my marshalli is my first horned spiderling. Thanks
I have a couple slings left that I hatched out in March that are almost 3" now. They love to dig and are voracious eaters.

Ceratogyrus

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have a question about Ceratogyrus: what are the horns for? Also, is it true that only females have the horn?

Sorry for jacking your topic, driller. :p
Some males also get the horns. C.darlingi, brachycephalus, marshalli.

Ceratogyrus

Arachnobaron
Old Timer

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Are you sure? I haven't come across that at all. What I know is that the males just get little nubs. Their horns aren't proportionately the same size as females'
The guy lives in South Africa, he has a whole bunch of baboon spiders, and his forum name is 'Ceratogyrus', and you think he doesn't know what he's talking about when it comes to horned baboon spiders?

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Yes, I'm sure.
Nowhere did I say they were the same size as the females though.
After all, a horn is a horn. :) Kinda like, how deep is a hole? :)
Ah I see now..Thanks man! True a hole is a hole! I was thinking about the female size's horn as "the HORN" =)

---------- Post added 11-18-2013 at 01:30 PM ----------

The guy lives in South Africa, he has a whole bunch of baboon spiders, and his forum name is 'Ceratogyrus', and you think he doesn't know what he's talking about when it comes to horned baboon spiders?
Poec, you are being absolutely CRAZY to put it politely. I don't care what someone's user name, I don't care what country is listed as a location. Why? Because people can list anything they want, or had you forgotten that?

Lastly, how the HELL am I supposed to know a priori he has a "whole bunch" of baboons?!?!?

You know if my forum name was Pit Viper, location United States, it doesn't mean I know ANYTHING about rattlesnakes, or that I live in the United States to be objective.

Last edited:

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Poec, you are being absolutely CRAZY to put it politely. I don't care what someone's user name, I don't care what country is listed as a location. Why? Because people can list anything they want, or had you forgotten that?
He's posted some very good information here, especially about Africa T's. He knows his stuff. Rather a distrusting and suspicious person aren't you?

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
He's posted some very good information here, especially about Africa T's. He knows his stuff. Rather a distrusting and suspicious person aren't you?
So let me get this straight, before I reply to someone's post such as his, I should check a person's profile (btw Cerato has no species listed NOR am I implying he should) and then comb through all the posts a person may have and determine if they are knowledgeable or not on a given subject BEFORE I reply???? OR maybe I should have PM'd him and given him with 100 questions on African Baboons to determine his level of knowledge?? IF you even think I have the time to go through everyone's posts and determine the person's background, you are pure crazy. This is a forum where we have on-line discussions, hence my reply to his response.

Again, I'll repeat my question which you didn't answer >>> Lastly, how the HELL am I supposed to know a priori he has a "whole bunch" of baboons?!?!? :sarcasm:

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
I'll repeat my question which you didn't answer >>> Lastly, how the HELL am I supposed to know a priori he has a "whole bunch" of baboons?!?!? :sarcasm:
You could be calmer, and a bit more trusting. But to each his own.

Driller64

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Don't feel like starting a new thread so I'll just use this one. I got my C. darlingi sling five days ago, and it still hasn't attempted to burrow. Is this something to be concerned about?

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch using Tapatalk 2

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Don't feel like starting a new thread so I'll just use this one. I got my C. darlingi sling five days ago, and it still hasn't attempted to burrow. Is this something to be concerned about?
No, sometimes it takes a little bit. I give mine a piece of cork to hide under, which usually leads to digging. Just make sure the substrate is fairly dry and ventilation ample.