First scorpion brood!

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Centruroides gracilis, my very first scorpion brood! Not like i did much other than house the parents together. But there they are, in all their cuteness!

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I bet! More than likely these will be given to a friend. He can resell them at reptile shows.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Im always amazed at how many little guys can fit on the female's back. It's rather amusing.

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I know its pretty crazy. Especially with spider like wolfies. Im guessing there is about 20 of them on her.

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Heres a couple questions. Roughly how long til they start hopping off mommas back? And, how long is this species gravid for?

Anonymity82

Arachnoprince
Nice man!

The Psuedouroctonus reddelli had like 50 babies on its tiny little back. Well, on its back, sides and underneath! The babies hopped off but would crawl back on lol.

ShredderEmp

Arachnoprince
Heres a couple questions. Roughly how long til they start hopping off mommas back? And, how long is this species gravid for?
It usually takes a week or two for them to molt, and then when they harden they come of the mom's back.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
SO when do scorplings actually leave, rather for what reasons. Like if the female stops walking, do they all get off and wander locally, or only for food? And when do they get back on? I'm wondering how this taxi service works.

ShredderEmp

Arachnoprince
They stay on the mom's back after they're born for numerous reasons. Mainly for protection, hydration, and food. Newborn scorplings don't have proper mouthparts, so they cannot eat or drink. They are also very vulnerable because their exoskeleton is not complete. A newborn scorpling actually still has a yolk sac, so they are technically still growing. Thus, they are as helpless as a mouse surrounded by hungry ratsnakes.

They leave because of a few reasons. Once they molt, the mothers usually leave them for dead because the mom is so hungry. If they don't leave, she will eat them. It is believed that a hormone in the female suppresses hunger, which stops he from eating them. It would eventually ware off. Also, it often happens that scorplings will cannibalize scorplings, not to mention the fact that the scorplings must now hunt on their own. This is because after they molt, they are now able to live without aid.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
They stay on the mom's back after they're born for numerous reasons. Mainly for protection, hydration, and food. Newborn scorplings don't have proper mouthparts, so they cannot eat or drink. They are also very vulnerable because their exoskeleton is not complete. A newborn scorpling actually still has a yolk sac, so they are technically still growing. Thus, they are as helpless as a mouse surrounded by hungry ratsnakes.

They leave because of a few reasons. Once they molt, the mothers usually leave them for dead because the mom is so hungry. If they don't leave, she will eat them. It is believed that a hormone in the female suppresses hunger, which stops he from eating them. It would eventually ware off. Also, it often happens that scorplings will cannibalize scorplings, not to mention the fact that the scorplings must now hunt on their own. This is because after they molt, they are now able to live without aid.
Thank you for this helpful information. I must admit I did not know they weren't fully formed esp re: hydration. I always thought they were just mini versions of adults when riding. The food/protection/exoskeleton I remember learning once.This is illuminating. Thank you.

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
The little plings are starting to come off her back now. I have 13 of them seperated so far.

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Another female getting ready to pop some babies out. The mother of the other babies was eaten by this one! :eek:

friendttyy

Arachnolord
Hope no one eats this mama. You know, what they say, the wheel turns in circles, what goes around comes around :D? Jokes. Nice brood. Good luck!