New Brood: Centruroides bicolor

Olsin

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I was just reading the C. margaritatus thread below and thought i'd go in and check on my own C. bicolors.....Lo and behold, look what i found.
It's not a large brood. I only count 17-18 young although i'm not sure she's finished yet........regardless, they are of course extremely welcome...;)

Centruroides bicolor brood approx 17-18 stk 24.11.13.jpg

2nscorpx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yay! Well done Den. How many C. bicolor do you have (not counting babies)?

Olsin

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Actually, i sent a parcel to the States this summer and everything went through ok.....So i'll probably do the same again next year....only, sending one or 2 scorps isn't really worth it because of shipping costs so i'd rather send a decent amount in one go. With that in mind i shall be sending to some lucky person next year, one or two breeding pairs (they'll probably be instar 4/5 semi sub adult or sub adult by that time) of Grosphus ankarana, Hottentotta jayakari, Rhopalurus garridoi, Centruroides bicolor, LQH, Rhopalurus junceus and maybe Buthus paris, Parabuthus villosus black and Parabuthus schlechteri.
It'll be a package containing all the above and it'll be a one off...I'll only do it once. So, if there's anyone out there who has no problems recieving imported scorps (i'm not interested in your laws and i'll assume that anyone who pays for the package knows what they are doing) and who could fancy such a package...yeh, then send me a pm and start saving your cash...although don't bother asking me to send a single example of this that or the other scorp....It'll be everything i've mentioned in one go or nothing at all.

Last edited:

gromgrom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Congrats man. Theyre gorgeous! Do they have similar sized broods compared to Centruroides gracilis?, being their in the same, and I forget where I've seen this term used, "gracilis family"?

I hope to have some by next year. Hope :) I'm a big fan of the larger, and really tiny, Centruroides.

Olsin

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
@Tuhin .. I've only got the one pair that i brought in at 4i earlier this spring. I'll probably keep a couple of pairs of the young and sell/swap the rest. These are quite large scorpions so i don't want to many of them. I'd rather have more varieties than many specimens of one variety.

@gromgrom .. I've only ever had C. margaritatus so i don't know how they compare with C. gracilis although i can tell you that amongst the ones i've owned, bicolor is larger than margaritatus plus their disposition is not quite so nervous.
Although with regards to brood size i have no idea. My margaritatus pair were swapped away before i had a brood from her.
I've not checked her since i took the picture the other day so i don't know if there's more young on her back than what i initially saw but 17-18 young is certainly well in the low end...I've read that 20 or 30 is more the norm with 58 apparently being the largest known brood.

gromgrom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
@Tuhin .. I've only got the one pair that i brought in at 4i earlier this spring. I'll probably keep a couple of pairs of the young and sell/swap the rest. These are quite large scorpions so i don't want to many of them. I'd rather have more varieties than many specimens of one variety.

@gromgrom .. I've only ever had C. margaritatus so i don't know how they compare with C. gracilis although i can tell you that amongst the ones i've owned, bicolor is larger than margaritatus plus their disposition is not quite so nervous.
Although with regards to brood size i have no idea. My margaritatus pair were swapped away before i had a brood from her.
I've not checked her since i took the picture the other day so i don't know if there's more young on her back than what i initially saw but 17-18 young is certainly well in the low end...I've read that 20 or 30 is more the norm with 58 apparently being the largest known brood.
Good to know! We have some of these floatin around in the states currently and I hope the breeders of them will establish them so we dont lose them, like so many other cool species. Good luck with the brood!

shaneshac

Arachnosquire
Awesome, congrats on the brood ;)

I am currently looking for a male C bicolor for my adult female. Any available or will you put these up for sale soon?

Olsin

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I am currently looking for a male C bicolor for my adult female. Any available or will you put these up for sale soon?
Well, i've finished with my male now so you could have him no sweat....problem is though that it's now winter and as such i won't send any animals in the post. I know there are people that do but i won't take the chance. I'd rather the scorps remained healthy than risk their lives for a bit of coin.
If however you still need a male next year when the weather has warmed up a bit then feel free to contact me. You could either have my adult male or i could find you an instar male from those young that are most developed.

shaneshac

Arachnosquire
That would be great. Thanks a lot. Will let you know at end of March or start of April.

How long is the gestation period?

Olsin

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Just caught the back end of their moult to 2i when i got home from work today

Centruroides bicolor 2i 29.11.13.jpg