Bite Protocol?

ReclusiveDemon

Arachnosquire
I'm just curious; if you are bitten by your tarantula, what do you do? I've read on some bite reports that some people have tied off the appendage that got bitten, and I'm wondering if that is an effective way to lessen the effects of the venom, or at least keep them localized? Other times, people have tried to squeeze out the venom. Is that recommended? If not, what is recommended?

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
What species are you talking about? Most don't have venom of any significance, and those that do have not been shown to be lethal.

Once venom's injected, it's in your tissue and not going to come out. Cutting and squeezing just adds to the damage. The only reason to use a tourniquet on a snake bite to keep the venom localized until you can get serum. There's no serum for tarantula bites (as the bites aren't considered a public health issue in their native countries), so tourniquets are pointless. You just have to ride it out. If bites are a concern to you: 1) DO NOT handle any of your spiders, and 2) do not own any old world species. And if you're still worried, tarantulas aren't the pet for you.

ReclusiveDemon

Arachnosquire
What species are you talking about? Most don't have venom of any significance, and those that do have not been shown to be lethal.

Once venom's injected, it's in your tissue and not going to come out. Cutting and squeezing just adds to the damage. The only reason to use a tourniquet on a snake bite to keep the venom localized until you can get serum. There's no serum for tarantula bites (as the bites aren't considered a public health issue in their native countries), so tourniquets are pointless. You just have to ride it out. If bites are a concern to you: 1) DO NOT handle any of your spiders, and 2) do not own any old world species. And if you're still worried, tarantulas aren't the pet for you.
I was wondering if some of the things that people have done to "treat" bites are actually helpful or not, like with the example in the original post.

Do you keep any medicine, like Benadryl, on hand?

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Not like it's a major concern. I've had T's on and off for 40 years, with a lot of fast/confrontational OW's, and never been bitten. Most bites are probably from docile species, from being handled (Stan Schultz has been bitten two dozen times). If you treat your spiders with the respect wild animals deserve, and not as domesticated pets, you shouldn't have any problems.

ReclusiveDemon

Arachnosquire
Not like it's a major concern. I've had T's on and off for 40 years, with a lot of fast/confrontational OW's, and never been bitten. Most bites are probably from docile species, from being handled (Stan Schultz has been bitten two dozen times). If you treat your spiders with the respect wild animals deserve, and not as domesticated pets, you shouldn't have any problems.
I don't plan on getting bitten any time soon. A 1.5 inch P. metallica sling just came into my possession, so I figured it would be a good time to ask about information regarding bite treatment (before would have been better, but this purchase wasn't exactly planned). I'm not worried about getting bitten, but the risk is always present, no matter how small, so I figured it would be good information to know.

Kroogur

Arachnopeon
Best thing you can do is buy a copy of "The Tarantula keepers guide" lots of pertinent info there.

As for what I keep on hand (I'm a mechanic not a doctor) so check with you doc to make sure you won't have any drug interactions and to see if you have any allergies to bee/wasp stings.

Hydrogen Peroxide
Assorted band aids.
alcohol wipes
benedryl tablets
excederin

And I do have some allergies so my doctor gave me a script for epi-pens.

I've not been bit and hope I never am.

Again always consult your doctor first to make sure what meds you have on hand are ok for you.

prairiepanda

Arachnoknight
I haven't been bitten yet, but if it ever happens I'd just sterilize the "wound" and take an antihistamine. If it got really bad, I might go to a doctor for a more powerful antihistamine(yeah, that's all they'll give you) and maybe take some OTC painkillers. It's really not a big deal, though.

Kroogur

Arachnopeon
I don't plan on getting bitten any time soon. A 1.5 inch P. metallica sling just came into my possession, so I figured it would be a good time to ask about information regarding bite treatment (before would have been better, but this purchase wasn't exactly planned). I'm not worried about getting bitten, but the risk is always present, no matter how small, so I figured it would be good information to know.
Well you could also check the bite report section here on the forums.

ReclusiveDemon

Arachnosquire
Well you could also check the bite report section here on the forums.
I did. Somebody who did get bit tied off the finger that was bit and ran it under hot water, and from the sound of the report, by the next day their symptoms had disappeared. I made this thread partly because of reading that. Was it that treatment that may have spared them several days of the venom's effects, or was it probably wasted effort?

Also, I do have a copy of the TKG.

I have epi-pen in my house as well, but I don't know if I actually have any allergies. I've heard that the venom composition of spider and bee/wasp venom differs, so being allergic to one doesn't necessarily mean you are allergic to the other.

PeaceBee

Arachnoknight
I have epi-pen in my house as well, but I don't know if I actually have any allergies. I've heard that the venom composition of spider and bee/wasp venom differs, so being allergic to one doesn't necessarily mean you are allergic to the other.
I checked and read up back when I got my first T as a gift on the bee/wasp venom. The protein in bee and wasp venom is totally different from spider venom from what I read and was told by folks here :) Which is a good thing because I wouldn't have gotten into the hobby otherwise!

As for response to a bite... I like McGuiverstein's idea. Amputate, only I'd set the affected appendage on fire and run (or hop) to a neighbor's house while flailing and screaming wildly.

But really, I'd disinfect the best I can, take antihistamines and OTC painkillers, and if it gets too bad go to urgent care or something like that for stronger meds. Not a whole lot you can do other than let it run its course from what I understand.

SuzukiSwift

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I did. Somebody who did get bit tied off the finger that was bit and ran it under hot water, and from the sound of the report, by the next day their symptoms had disappeared. I made this thread partly because of reading that. Was it that treatment that may have spared them several days of the venom's effects, or was it probably wasted effort?

Also, I do have a copy of the TKG.

It would have had no effect at all, if they had not tied off the finger the symptoms still would have been gone by tomorrow. Running it under hot water probably helped a little but again, in the long run you can't really do anything except wait it out.

Do NOT inject yourself with an epi-pen if you are bitten by a T or for any random reason for that matter, they are only prescribed for severe allergies (I know because I'm deathly allergic to peanuts and have an epi-pen) and should never be used on a whim, it's not Left 4 Dead. How did you even get an epi-pen without a prescription for an allergy or other condition?

Just refrain from being bitten by being careful and keeping a level head, respect the Ts you own and you'll be fine ae, if you fixate on being bitten it's more likely to happen

Formerphobe

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I haven't been bitten yet, but if it ever happens I'd just sterilize the "wound" and take an antihistamine. If it got really bad, I might go to a doctor for a more powerful antihistamine(yeah, that's all they'll give you) and maybe take some OTC painkillers. It's really not a big deal, though.
If it weren't a big deal, they wouldn't be called 'medically significant'. Though, in the grand scheme of things, what doesn't kill you may make you tougher.

I believe corticosteroids have fallen out of favor, but insect bites are routinely treated with both antihistamines and anti-inflammatories, whether steroidal or non-steroidal. Doctors would only be able to treat symptomatically as hospitals don't keep antivenin for tarantulas.

Cold water soaks would probably be more beneficial that hot water. Heat inflames, increases blood flow, and promotes histamine release, possibly exacerbating the venom's effects. Cold is anti-inflammatory and vasoconstrictive, potentially minimizing effects.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
What's the point of tying off the finger? The finger needs blood flow or you create a new set of problems; you can't leave a tourniquet on for long. Tourniquets slow the spread of venom, buying time until antivenin arrives, which doesn't exist for tarantulas (and if it did, it wouldn't be available in the US). You can't stop venom from spreading once it's been injected, it goes throughout the body regardless, so what is accomplished if you could slow it down? Help is not on the way. The 'symptoms' in this dramatic event disappeared on their own, the 'treatment' was symbolic but pointless, if anything worsened by what the victim did.

The fangs of an adult/subadult tarantula are 1/2" to 1" long. How can you squeeze out venom that's been injected that deep into tissue? Even if a small amount could be squeezed out, it would have to be done within several seconds of the bite, and that time might be spent prying the spider off your finger. If you get bit, you basically have to ride it out. It doesn't seem like you're ready for that.

The best course of action is to prevent bites in the first place by working with your spiders responsibly, and not handling them. Stick to slow, docile species for now and work your way up. Take your time. You're not ready for anything fast or defensive yet. Nobody this concerned is going to have the required nerves for those species. And there's no shame in that. There's nothing to prove to anyone. Why have a spider you can't control or are afraid of? Think of the people you live with if there's an escape. I've been doing this for decades, and there's still some species I don't look forward to doing cage transfers with. Some long-term T owners won't keep OW's. There's plenty of beautiful species for every skill/experience level. Stick with what you're comfortable with. And that's how you keep from getting bitten. This should be an enjoyable, low stress hobby.

Stan Schultz

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Best thing you can do is buy a copy of "The Tarantula keepers guide" lots of pertinent info there. ...
And, thanks for the good words, both you and the others.

... As for what I keep on hand (I'm a mechanic not a doctor) so check with you doc to make sure you won't have any drug interactions and to see if you have any allergies to bee/wasp stings. ...
Here are a few weird things about tarantulas (big surprise, no?), probably other spiders as well. If you go to the PubMed website and type in the key words spider allergy, you'll get something like six pages (about 114 hits) of scientific articles. I couldn't find any articles in that listing of medical literature about an allergic reaction to spider VENOM, but there were at least two articles reporting the deaths of two people who reacted badly to widow ANTIVENIN and one or more reporting allergic reactions to urticating bristles! (But, I must admit my eyes were beginning to blur a bit by the end of the first page! I may have missed something.)

First, it is remarkable that there seem to be few or no reports of people suffering allergic reactions to spider venom, although there seems to be no question that the venom of many spiders (tarantulas included) does clearly act as a poison. (Note that the reaction to an allergen and the reaction to a "poison" are usually two completely different and unrelated situations.)

Second, it is also remarkable that while we apparently do not react to spider venom as an allergen, we DO react to tarantulas' urticating bristles as an allergen. This strongly suggests that the two chemical principles at work here are completely different. Right off the top of my head, I can't think of any other organism on Planet Earth that uses TWO unrelated forms of chemical attack as defense mechanisms! Comments anyone?

[And this begs the question, "Why hasn't some bright, young toxicologist seized on this apparent dichotomy and duality as the basis for a groundbreaking paper on spiders' chemical warfare?" Apparently, no one even has a very good idea of why urticating bristles make us itch. If you're looking for a field to go into after college, have I got a great one for you!]

Third, it also appears that at least in some cases humans are at risk to fatal allergic reactions to spider antivenins more than they may be to the direct action of the venom itself. This, of course, is a matter for the ER doc to decide, but it would clearly seem prudent to test for sensitivity in a patient before shooting them up with a known allergen, wouldn't it? Or, is there no such test? Or, will it not work fast enough to be useful in an emergency room situation? Comments anyone?

Fourth, decades of anecdotal reports strongly suggest that a person's allergy to bee or other Hymenopteran stings has no bearing whatsoever on their sensitivity to spider venom. Over the years that this and other forums have been active I have seen several reports of people who were sensitive to bee stings, who were also bitten by their tarantulas, and suffered no ill effects as a result. This points up the concept that arachnids in general, especially spiders, and tarantulas particularly are so different from the other members of the animal kingdom that trying to make judgements or decisions based on other, putatively related groups is very risky at best. And, could be dangerously foolish. "I did it my way," indeed!

"The magnitude of our ignorance [about tarantulas] is staggering."
- S. A. Schultz, TKG3

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
This points up the concept that... spiders, and tarantulas particularly are so different from the other members of the animal kingdom that trying to make judgements or decisions based on other, putatively related groups is very risky at best.
+1. Spiders are so strange in so many of their adaptations and behaviors, as your excellent book goes into detail on. Using pedipapls to mate with? Sperm webs? Liquifying food before swallowing it? Silk? The list goes on. God only knows how all of these things evolved. Sure makes them interesting though.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I don't plan on getting bitten any time soon.

No one plans on it hahahah That was funny. Man I hope your metallica is a female. Does it show blue yet? I don't know when they start showing adult colors.

---------- Post added 11-25-2013 at 10:22 PM ----------

And, thanks for the good words, both you and the others.

Here are a few weird things about tarantulas (big surprise, no?), probably other spiders as well. If you go to the PubMed website and type in the key words spider allergy, you'll get something like six pages (about 114 hits) of scientific articles. I couldn't find any articles in that listing of medical literature about an allergic reaction to spider VENOM, but there were at least two articles reporting the deaths of two people who reacted badly to widow ANTIVENIN and one or more reporting allergic reactions to urticating bristles! (But, I must admit my eyes were beginning to blur a bit by the end of the first page! I may have missed something.)

First, it is remarkable that there seem to be few or no reports of people suffering allergic reactions to spider venom, although there seems to be no question that the venom of many spiders (tarantulas included) does clearly act as a poison. (Note that the reaction to an allergen and the reaction to a "poison" are usually two completely different and unrelated situations.)

Second, it is also remarkable that while we apparently do not react to spider venom as an allergen, we DO react to tarantulas' urticating bristles as an allergen. This strongly suggests that the two chemical principles at work here are completely different. Right off the top of my head, I can't think of any other organism on Planet Earth that uses TWO unrelated forms of chemical attack as defense mechanisms! Comments anyone?

[And this begs the question, "Why hasn't some bright, young toxicologist seized on this apparent dichotomy and duality as the basis for a groundbreaking paper on spiders' chemical warfare?" Apparently, no one even has a very good idea of why urticating bristles make us itch. If you're looking for a field to go into after college, have I got a great one for you!]

Third, it also appears that at least in some cases humans are at risk to fatal allergic reactions to spider antivenins more than they may be to the direct action of the venom itself. This, of course, is a matter for the ER doc to decide, but it would clearly seem prudent to test for sensitivity in a patient before shooting them up with a known allergen, wouldn't it? Or, is there no such test? Or, will it not work fast enough to be useful in an emergency room situation? Comments anyone?

Fourth, decades of anecdotal reports strongly suggest that a person's allergy to bee or other Hymenopteran stings has no bearing whatsoever on their sensitivity to spider venom. Over the years that this and other forums have been active I have seen several reports of people who were sensitive to bee stings, who were also bitten by their tarantulas, and suffered no ill effects as a result. This points up the concept that arachnids in general, especially spiders, and tarantulas particularly are so different from the other members of the animal kingdom that trying to make judgements or decisions based on other, putatively related groups is very risky at best. And, could be dangerously foolish. "I did it my way," indeed!

"The magnitude of our ignorance [about tarantulas] is staggering."
- S. A. Schultz, TKG3
Stan is absolutely right on all accounts, particularly the case of death. One of the concerns with antivenom is whether the person have a reaction because the antibodies (proteins) which bind to the toxin proteins or peptides are in made in horses. It's long known that equine antibodies may cause issues in a human receiving the therapy that could lead to more serious symptoms and results (eg death if untreated) than venom itself. It's because of this that currently there are clinical trials underway, with some sites in California, testing a new antivenom made in sheep. For some reason, humans don't react the same way to sheep antibodies as they do from horse antibodies.

As for the urticating hairs, oh I'd like to know the answer to that chemical warfare. I refuse to believe those hairs are just mini daggers and nothing more. I imagine the protein/s they are made of could be enough to cause an immuno response, but I have often wondered if the response was due to more than just the protein/s that make up the hairs.

All animals with venom (be they poisonous to man or not) make a plethora of peptides/proteins which do many things. Stan is right, because someone is sensitive bees/wasps, doesn't mean they will be sensitive to Ts necessarily, and vice versa. The mechanism of action of each specific molecule in a toxin is HIGHLY specific. So one cannot assume because one has sensitivity to insects they will also have with arachnids.