Heat packs. This is what an overheated shipments look like

Status
Not open for further replies.

sweetypie

Arachnoknight
Attention shippers and buyers.

Multiple heat packs will damage specimens in a sealed 2 piece styrofoam box.
Hot Hand brand heat packs have no place in the hobby.

Small specimens will roast (pictured).
Large specimens will deflate (pictured).
8" females may hang on for a few more hours until they just stop fighting (pictured).
Large specimens have more mass. The damage is already inflicted, just like an internal bleeding issue such as a recent car accident.

You can see where the foam was pressed hard against the flimsy clear container to press it right into the heat packs.
The foam lid has marks of pressure.
130 degree heat is provided from HotHands packs that were under the immanis.
No matter how the heat was blocked, the heat was trapped.

overheat shipment by LandedInMyEye, on Flickr

Packaging lid etc. by LandedInMyEye, on Flickr

4 of 5 slings by LandedInMyEye, on Flickr

PZB inactivity by LandedInMyEye, on Flickr

overheated PZB by LandedInMyEye, on Flickr

PZB fluid loss in abdomen. by LandedInMyEye, on Flickr

female X. immanis by LandedInMyEye, on Flickr

female X. immanis overheat shipment by LandedInMyEye, on Flickr

BobGrill

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
So... what is the correct way to use heat packs then? Just use one? Or is it more to do with not having enough ventilation for the heat to escape?

Exoskeleton Invertebrates

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
So... what is the correct way to use heat packs then? Just use one? Or is it more to do with not having enough ventilation for the heat to escape?
In my opinion just one is sufficient, this is why you should never ship anything below 40 degrees. One example you the seller where you live at you might be at 65 degree and the buyer is at 40 degree so your best choice is one heat pack. I have done this with no problems. Four heat packs is flat out wrong specially if the size of the styrofoam box is to small. Too much heat! I don't ever use ventilation for the heat to escape I have always wonder why people do this specially when it is really cold.

McGuiverstein

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Clearly a mistake, but a mistake that could happen to anyone who is afraid a box they're shipping could get too cold. As with most things in keeping tarantulas, overkill is usually worse than under-care. The seller was probably concerned with shipping to somewhere as cold as Ohio, and obviously wanted to make sure the box didn't lose too much heat. In doing so, too many heat packs were used, and unfortunately these spiders were lost.

However, based on your excessive over-posting of this situation on a public subforum, rather than as a well worded negative review on the seller's thread, coupled with the vicious bordering on slanderous, and barely comprehensible way you're shouting your displeasure to the masses, I am seriously inclined to say you have some ulterior motives here....

I'm saying this without even knowing who sold you these spiders. Something's not right here, and the way you've presented yourself should make everyone skeptical of your motives and the truth behind your story....

PhiGamTeacher

Arachnopeon
However, based on your excessive over-posting of this situation on a public subforum, rather than as a well worded negative review on the seller's thread, coupled with the vicious bordering on slanderous, and barely comprehensible way you're shouting your displeasure to the masses, I am seriously inclined to say you have some ulterior motives here....

I'm saying this without even knowing who sold you these spiders. Something's not right here, and the way you've presented yourself should make everyone skeptical of your motives and the truth behind your story....
Yepppp. Looks sketchy to me. Poor T's, though.

sweetypie

Arachnoknight
My reviews speak beyond the keyboard.
I'm sorry you feel that way about us.

I hope you don't wind up with the same ordeal.
History, documentation and revealing truth is key.

McGuiverstein

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
If the reviews you're referring to are your seller's reviews, all they prove is that outside of this situation you're an otherwise decent guy and capable salesperson. They have no bearing on this particular issue whatsoever.

Without crossing too many lines into baseless accusation, I have seen sellers deliberately try to slander competitors in an effort to get them out of the picture. Not accusing you, just informing the public that you're preaching to that I have seen it happen before.

You talk of documentation and truth, but you have accomplished neither in all of your angry posts here. All you've done is present a nasty one sided attack on a person or people that they can neither address nor defend.

Without hearing the other party's story, or knowing what you may have done wrong to violate their DOA terms, this thread is just an angry person ranting about poor shipping involving too many heat packs.

AzJohn

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Without hearing the other party's story, or knowing what you may have done wrong to violate their DOA terms, this thread is just an angry person ranting about poor shipping involving too many heat packs.
What's wrong with this? Wouldn't you want to know a seller can ship correctly? True these pictures would be better served on the dealers review section. Honestly, if you lost $300 worth of tarantulas, wouldn't you be upset?

McGuiverstein

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
What's wrong with this? Wouldn't you want to know a seller can ship correctly? True these pictures would be better served on the dealers review section. Honestly, if you lost $300 worth of tarantulas, wouldn't you be upset?
As someone who feels guilty for spending >$50 on inverts, yeah I absolutely would be upset. I'm just saying that this was the wrong way to approach it, and all it is is a one way rant. It accomplishes nothing, and all we know is that someone out there, probably a first time shipper with heat packs, used too many in a single shipment.

sweetypie

Arachnoknight
As someone who feels guilty for spending >$50 on inverts, yeah I absolutely would be upset. I'm just saying that this was the wrong way to approach it, and all it is is a one way rant. It accomplishes nothing, and all we know is that someone out there, probably a first time shipper with heat packs, used too many in a single shipment.
Common sense should allow a mind to decide not to place that is much heat into a sealed, thick foam box.
Please DO NOT use that much heat in a sealed environment.

Please do not use a flimsy display container on top of the heat packs or cram it into a box that does not allow for room.
A Thick Gladware brand container is fine.
Temperatures were above 40 min.
PLEASE DO NOT USE HotHands heat brand under your specimens.
HotHands are NOT the correct brand, but the brand Uni-heat, suggested by a moderator IS proper.
Please do not squish the box lid shut to cram specimens in it.
The box above is chipped away to cram in a rushed job.
Please DO NOT treat your pets this way.

Thank you.

fyic

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Everyone can read the Sellers review page you can see the Buyer posting the Negative review as well as the Seller's response......That should give everyone both sides of the story......I'm not saying either one is right or wrong ......just point out the details that are posted from both partys

Now the only thing I would like to know is this all happen like 2 months ago ......why is it just now coming out?

Either way.....these T's are the ones that suffered and that sucks.....and yes now we know more about heat packs and shipping...lets hope it doesn't happen again

Arachnopets

Arachnoboards Team
Staff member
Admin Note:

And another one bites the dust. The sole purpose of this thread was to discuss using too many heat packs and why it is a bad idea and what can happen as a result. I suppose that point is now made.

Let's try to nip this in the bud, shall we? We do not allow discussions of reviews and the rules are in place for a reason. Reviews have no place in the main discussion section of this site. That is why we have a separate section allowing buyers and sellers to post reviews and their sides of the story with details (all in one shot, without any line by line rebuttals). If you want to know about a seller or buyer and would like to know what happened, just go look at the reviews posted.

If anyone has any questions for either the buyer or seller, then please feel free to either PM or email either party. However, discussing it publicly and relating back to a specific seller/transaction is a BIG no no and we will not allow it, sorry.

Thanks for all of your understanding and cooperation for this and future postings!

Debby (and the AB Team)

Status
Not open for further replies.