feather leg baboons.

Arachnoking

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hi guys.

I got my self a large female feather leg baboon on sunday.

It was sold to me by the very respected Carl portman from the British tarantula society commitee.

I understand there are 2 species Stromatopelma calceatum and Stromatopelma grisiepes. I have Stromatopelma grisiepes which i was told by a few breeders at the annual BTS show that they had not seen one of these for years and told me they were very rare in the hobby.

Is this true because although i have kept Stromatopelma calceatum and Heteroscodra maculata for a good number of years i can not find any imformation regarding Stromatopelma grisiepes on the net.

Does any one here have first hand experience with this species or can point me in the right direction for imformation?

Thankyou in advance :)

Arachnoking

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Can any one help then?i would have thought some one would know something to help me out. Cheers in advance :)

Lopez

Arachnoking
Old Timer
From memory, Stromatopelma calceatum grisiepes is a subspecies of Stromatopelma grisiepes - something very unusual in Theraphosid taxonomy. I saw the spider at Carl's stand I believe - a real beauty. The only other subspecies within tarantulas I can think of is A.avicularia variegata.

Your best bet for more information would probably be to consult Thomas Ezendam or Richard Gallon for a better summary of the current situation. :)

Arachnoking

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Thanks Leon.

Strange question but is there any chance of having a quick chat over the phone at some point as ive got a few questions about getting hold of some of the Haplopelma sp and i was told By carl that u was the guy to speak to but to be honest i couldnt c u on sunday at the show.please drop me an email.

Thanks again :)

Lopez

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Arachnoking said:
Thanks Leon.

Strange question but is there any chance of having a quick chat over the phone at some point as ive got a few questions about getting hold of some of the Haplopelma sp and i was told By carl that u was the guy to speak to but to be honest i couldnt c u on sunday at the show.please drop me an email.

Thanks again :)
Dean.
If you were the guy who accidentally shortchanged Alvin by £20 and he had to run after you, I was standing next to you when you bought them :D

Drop me an email - lopez@phoneutria.co.uk and I'll see if I can help. I really bought too many Haplopelma this weekend. :eek:
Thanks Soren for your assistance in picking out some of them :)