New OBT Enclosure

CitizenNumber9

Arachnobaron
So my OBT, Sass Master, had some mold (actually more than some, if the condensation on the substrate was mold as well) in his parmesan cheese container soo....I just rehoused him into a different one! Here's some pics of his new home! :)

Also, I boiled the rocks and shell for a few minutes then dried them with a hair dryer by the way :)

shebeen

Arachnobaron
It looks like there's a lot of hard surfaces in there for the T to fall on. I think you'd be better off removing the rocks, adding a couple inches of substrate, and using a piece of cork bark or fake plant for webbing attachment. I'd also add more ventilation.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Mold? Oh man, Shanty Town :/

What container is that? I like the wide mouth.

I'd say the same- ESP because some day you'll need to get him out and don't need rocks rolling around in there if you need to move container. Once they are comfy even in cramped quarters they are all stubborn and like to stay put generally

CitizenNumber9

Arachnobaron
It looks like there's a lot of hard surfaces in there for the T to fall on. I think you'd be better off removing the rocks, adding a couple inches of substrate, and using a piece of cork bark or fake plant for webbing attachment. I'd also add more ventilation.
I thought that might be a problem, but since he is an aboreal species and a little sling, wouldn't he be ok in there? Then, by the time he's big enough for a fall to really hurt him, the height wouldn't be so big would it?

The lid has a bunch of vent holes in it also and each side has some in top and in bottom :D

Edit** He's already comfy and started making little hammocks and tunnels everywhere :/ if the fall is too much, could I simply add more substrate and set the decor back up the same way? (though I'll have to do something about those low vent holes...I could always start with a new container)

---------- Post added 12-18-2013 at 10:50 AM ----------

Mold? Oh man, Shanty Town :/

What container is that? I like the wide mouth.

I'd say the same- ESP because some day you'll need to get him out and don't need rocks rolling around in there if you need to move container. Once they are comfy even in cramped quarters they are all stubborn and like to stay put generally
I must be the mayor of Shanty Town xD

I can't remember what it's called and I threw the labels away :/ I got it on the food storage aisle of Walmart and I think they were like $1.50 - $2. I made sure the rocks aren't going to roll around, they're set up so that they're all keeping each other in place :)

Last edited:

Disquiet

Arachnosquire
I thought that might be a problem, but since he is an aboreal species
OBT's display some arboreal tendencies depending on the individual, but they are not true arboreals. That being said, even a true arboreal would appreciate a few more inches of substrate in that enclosure, especially as a sling.

Just out of curiosity, how did you get mold so quickly?

@viper69, that looks like the 2 quart "Mainstays" canister from Walmart.

CitizenNumber9

Arachnobaron
OBT's display some arboreal tendencies depending on the individual, but they are not true arboreals. That being said, even a true arboreal would appreciate a few more inches of substrate in that enclosure, especially as a sling.

Just out of curiosity, how did you get mold so quickly?

@viper69, that looks like the 2 quart "Mainstays" canister from Walmart.
I'll go ahead and fix it up before he webs any more and gets even more comfy then. The mold was growing on a cricket bolus I hadn't gotten out right away (I don't have any long tongs yet) and may have molded because the container was used for cheese and must not have been cleaned properly. Some of the mold in the substrate may have actually been condensation, but I wasn't for sure and didn't want to take any chances.

Also you're right about the containers :) I realized I hadn't taken the label off of all of them.

Edit** PS: Any ideas on how I can plug those lower vent holes??

BobGrill

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
OBTS are not arboreals.

Plugging up any holes will only make things worse. You need more ventilation in there, therefore you need MORE holes in the container. This will help with cross-ventilation and will reduce your chances of getting mold.

CitizenNumber9

Arachnobaron
I wouldn't even bother, personally. Unless the holes are giant, they probably won't affect the substrate at all.
I just don't want substrate all over the place haha maybe put my masking tape labels over them will be sufficient.

@Bob - I'm going to put more holes above the substrate after the redecorating. I'll take some better pics of the ventilation so everyone can get a better idea of the amount of holes and let me know how much more I need.

CitizenNumber9

Arachnobaron
I was looking at the enclosure today (I hadn't had a chance to fix it up yet) and was wondering what you guys think of adding some moss instead of more substrate? He doesn't ever burrow from what I've seen, and instead of uprooting him again and jacking up all of his webs, I could line the rocks with some sphagnum moss. Those will soften any falls he might have and add a more naturalistic look to the enclosure. It will also save me from having to drill more holes and hope that substrate doesn't fall out of the ones already present. Does anyone know how susceptable it is to mold?

Edit** I haven't gotten a chance to post pics of the vent holes yet, but I'll get on that soon.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I heard of this natural substance called cork bark ;) that would be better, though I think I've seen someone use slate but it was laying flat. Just hope he doesn't get knocked over!

CitizenNumber9

Arachnobaron
I heard of this natural substance called cork bark ;) that would be better, though I think I've seen someone use slate but it was laying flat. Just hope he doesn't get knocked over!
Like I said, the other rocks are supporting it :p

BobGrill

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
As others have said; I suggest removing the rocks and using some cork bark as a hide.

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk 2

korg

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Removing the rocks is just a risk reduction thing. Realistically there probably won't be any problem, but having the rocks in there just increases the chances of a fall injury, the enclosure getting knocked over and the rocks smashing your T into jelly, etc. Why take even a slight risk with your T's safety when you don't have to? I think that's the attitude of most people on this forum and most people who care about the well-being of their tarantulas.

BobGrill

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I don't have any cork bark and I'm a bit short on funds until after Christmas :/
I definitely understand that. Make sure you get some though when you have the money, because it really can come in handy. It doesn't grow mold and if you get one of the flats you can even break off smaller pieces and use them for slings.

CitizenNumber9

Arachnobaron
I definitely understand that. Make sure you get some though when you have the money, because it really can come in handy. It doesn't grow mold and if you get one of the flats you can even break off smaller pieces and use them for slings.
I definitely will :) I just don't want to change poor Sass Master's home again until I have to

BobGrill

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I definitely will :) I just don't want to change poor Sass Master's home again until I have to
I'd say just leave everything the way it is right now, but maybe add a few more holes if possible. You don't really need to mist. For water, you can just put a few drops of water next to the sling and it should drink it. I don't think mold would be much of a problem as long as there is adequate ventilation. OBTs like it dry anyway.