DIY enclosure questions

otoha0309

Arachnopeon
Hey folks. Im still pretty new here, and ive been poking around this board hoping to answer a few questions i have. I have picked up some useful tips but i still have a couple questions.

Basically im wondering if there is a good online resource to find things like acrylic boxes, or small sheets.
im also looking for somewhere that will have like acrylic screws, and hinges and such.
and lastly a place to find those circular metal screens.

As far as the know how to properly design and build the enclosures, well my line of manufacturing work really helps me there im really certain i can handle that part.

Any help or tips, or pointing me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

CitizenNumber9

Arachnobaron
Jamie's Tarantulas has acrylic hinges and the round vents :) not sure about screws, though.

Disquiet

Arachnosquire
Jamie's Tarantulas has acrylic hinges and the round vents :) not sure about screws, though.
True, but you can also skip the middle man and the $15 shipping and purchase the acrylic hardware from TAP plastics. TAP also sells acrylic adhesive, edging you could slide mesh into, and hasps.

Sheets of acrylic (in a thickness suitable for an enclosure) can be found at a variety of outlets, including the above, but the cheapest by far to my knowledge is Amazon. You can get a 48" by 48" sheet for $67 shipped.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
How about I give you the sources and you make me a few? hahaha

Containers- thecontainerstore.com
Acrylic, including parts, drill bits for plastic etc - TAP plastics (there are some others),

If you need the source of the AMAC acrylic boxes that most of use from TCS let me know

There's a few vendors for vents as well

SgtSparkles

Arachnosquire
Whoa, I'm extremely disappointed in you guys for not sharing roundvents.com with me before. Jerks

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Whoa, I'm extremely disappointed in you guys for not sharing roundvents.com with me before. Jerks
Excuse yourself, Jerks, plural?? I do believe you meant only to call Spidergrrl a jerk (not polite at all), and not myself or others, right? Because I'm extremely disappointed in you for being called a jerk regarding something I never saw,did or read.

In the event I am wrong in my above assumption, why would you assume all of us have you seen you asking about vents previously? I certainly haven't, heck I just learned of your username a few days ago. I doubt anyone here reads EVERY post 24/7.

Last edited:

SgtSparkles

Arachnosquire
Excuse yourself, Jerks, plural?? I do believe you meant only to call Spidergrrl a jerk (not polite at all), and not myself or others, right? Because I'm extremely disappointed in you for being called a jerk regarding something I never saw,did or read.

In the event I am wrong in my above assumption, why would you assume all of us have you seen you asking about vents previously? I certainly haven't, heck I just learned of your username a few days ago. I doubt anyone here reads EVERY post 24/7.
i do believe sir that you have taken my post far too seriously as it was meant to be quite sarcastic and in jest. I do apologize

stewstew8282

Arachnoknight
DO NOT BUY FROM ROUNDVENTS.COM...they suck. Trust me I had a cage made and that brand of vent was used..this is what you can expect to happen...
the wire is so soft it is pliable to the touch and the support ring does not hold the wire in.

They are not half as good as these ... migdetlouvers.com or jaimestarantulas. these (2 sites) have 6 sided tabs instead of 4 and are much better made..
midgetlouvers does require a minimum order however.. BUT for a DIY'er you'll eventually use em so whatevers.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Oh this is interesting, anyone else have similar issues from this vendor's products ?

shebeen

Arachnobaron
Acrylic containers, boxes and such:
http://www.containerstore.com/shop?productId=10003497&N=&Ntt=amac
https://www.pioneerplastics.com/product-category/containers/

Acrylic sheet, hinges, clasps and such:
http://www.tapplastics.com/product/plastics/cut_to_size_plastic
http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/default.aspx?catid=597&parentcatid=795

---------- Post added 12-19-2013 at 06:42 AM ----------

@stewstew8282 A spider did all that damage? Wow. Thanks for the midgetlouver.com pointer. Their tab style vents do look more substantial than the ones from roundvents.com. I'll have to order their catalog.

---------- Post added 12-19-2013 at 06:45 AM ----------

Oh this is interesting, anyone else have similar issues from this vendor's products ?
I'll soon be putting four small Amec enclosures with 1" vents from roundvents.com into service. I'll keep you posted on how well they hold up.

Spidergrrl

Arachnopeon
I've never had an issue with roundvents. The difference in the number of tabs doesn't matter to me as I bend the tabs off and install them with silicone. I have also never had a problem with their sturdiness. Of course, I am only using the 1 and 2 inch vents and mostly with slings. Even with a bigger more agressive T it's hard for me to imagine a T getting through one of them. I don't know about midgetlouvers as they don't seem to post their prices and shipping info on the website but roundvents are substantially cheaper than Jaime's. (one inch vents on roundvents .64 US$, 2 one inch vents on Jaime's 2 for US$ 3.49.

Jaime's does seem like a good source for other things.

Cheers,

Spidergrrl

---------- Post added 12-19-2013 at 09:02 AM ----------

i do believe sir that you have taken my post far too seriously as it was meant to be quite sarcastic and in jest. I do apologize
It can be tricky conveying the subtleties of jest and sarcasm in a forum such as this. No insult was taken on my part.

Cheers,

Spidergrrl

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I'll soon be putting four small Amec enclosures with 1" vents from roundvents.com into service. I'll keep you posted on how well they hold up.
Yes please, I'd like to know as I am considering them or was?

---------- Post added 12-19-2013 at 10:24 AM ----------

I've never had an issue with roundvents. The difference in the number of tabs doesn't matter to me as I bend the tabs off and install them with silicone.
Curious, why do you use silicone? They should stay with the tabs....?

stewstew8282

Arachnoknight
i ordered 16 1'' and 8 2" and with shipping it was 35 bucks

i also checked the catalog and 1" are .64 and 2" are 1.27.
(if anyone wants the catalog pm me i'll email it)
they also offer different colors if desired.
shipping was 15
so if you plan on multiple projects, midget is cheaper, and jaimes looks to charge a flat 15 for shipping, so even stevens there....

@shebeen
no that was just me gently pushing on the screen...i was testing to make sure the occupant wouldnt be able to escape just because they looked kind of flimsy. i never bothered to replace it because the occupant is a e murinus, and he hasnt ventured past the mount surrounding his hole in the entire time ive had him.

Last edited:

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
no that was just me gently pushing on the screen
Now you tell us, and I just ordered a thousand! j/k haha

I don't know where roundvents are made, but midget says theirs are made in the USA. Though, who knows maybe both source the wire from China!

Actually I think I'm going to avoid the vents for now. I think drilling holes gives these acrylics a much cleaner look, plus you don't have to put the holes directly in the center and obstructing view on that particular side.

jhoagland

Arachnopeon
Yes please, I'd like to know as I am considering them or was?

---------- Post added 12-19-2013 at 10:24 AM ----------

Curious, why do you use silicone? They should stay with the tabs....?
Just replying to the silicone comment. "If it is worth doing, it's worth overdoing." jhoagland.

SgtSparkles

Arachnosquire
Actually I think I'm going to avoid the vents for now. I think drilling holes gives these acrylics a much cleaner look, plus you don't have to put the holes directly in the center and obstructing view on that particular side.
This is where i have do disagree in our preferences. I've always found the look of those enclosures with nice production vents to be astonishingly nice. I will have to use some in my next lid

---------- Post added 12-21-2013 at 11:31 PM ----------

This is where we'll have to disagree in our preferences. I've always admired those custom enclosures with really nice looking production vents. I will have to use some in my next lid.

stewstew8282

Arachnoknight
Now you tell us, and I just ordered a thousand! j/k haha

I don't know where roundvents are made, but midget says theirs are made in the USA. Though, who knows maybe both source the wire from China!

did a similar push test on the midget brand vents, held up like a champ... even went a little overboard i think...no distortion to the screen.