Making a lid on Sterilte lid

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I bought a cheap container for my 2.75" DLS Rose hair. This rose hair freaks out at most anything like many OW Ts. The sterilite lid being cheap comes on and off forcefully, so it freaks out my T (so did easy opening lids!).

What would be the best way to make a opening/lid/closable cutout on the lid itself that is escape proof, so I don't have to open the sterilite lid all the time?? Please don't suggest a new container I already know that ;)

Last edited:

MarkmD

Arachnoprince
Not exactly sure maybe carbon-fiber or plexiglass, most KKs have decent lids but thay can get noisy lol, i'm sure someone will answer your question in a better way.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Not exactly sure maybe carbon-fiber or plexiglass, most KKs have decent lids but thay can get noisy lol, i'm sure someone will answer your question in a better way.
What does a KK have to do with anything ??

just1moreT

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
If you have a good sharp razor blade or saw blade you can cut that stuff but I have found it likes to crack pretty easy curved stuff more than the flat lids , if you do get it cut and have compond used to glue the lexan /plexy glass cages together.it also will work on similar plastics . I use the acrylic hinges You can buy from US plastics, you could glue them to the lid you cut and make another lid on a lid

shebeen

Arachnobaron
Perhaps you could cut or grind off the latches (fingers?) that hold the lid in place so it no longer takes force to remove it, then use something else to fasten it down that will make less disturbance when released. Maybe a couple of large binder clips or the scrunchy/hook latches described in another thread.

---------- Post added 12-19-2013 at 08:34 AM ----------

Here's another idea. Use the lid as a hinge. I've never tried it, so I don't know if it will actually work or how well it will hold up. You simply make cuts on opposing edges of the lid where you want it to hing and glue the fixed portion to your tub. Below is a picture. Red lines are cuts, blue line is the hing area.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Perhaps you could cut or grind off the latches (fingers?) that hold the lid in place so it no longer takes force to remove it, then use something else to fasten it down that will make less disturbance when released. Maybe a couple of large binder clips or the scrunchy/hook latches described in another thread.

---------- Post added 12-19-2013 at 08:34 AM ----------

Here's another idea. Use the lid as a hinge. I've never tried it, so I don't know if it will actually work or how well it will hold up. You simply make cuts on opposing edges of the lid where you want it to hing and glue the fixed portion to your tub. Below is a picture. Red lines are cuts, blue line is the hing area.

Ooo these are good ideas, thank you. I bought a second one to experiment with. The plastic lid is kind of hard, so I wouldn't be surprised if it breaks in sharp edges sorta. The idea of locking it down another way is appealing, I'm also going to see about maybe cutting open a square and maybe making that a lid. Of course if the next reptile show has a Breeder boxes at a good deal I'm getting an extra for this maniacal rose hair :(

shebeen

Arachnobaron
Since it's just a cheap tub, you don't want to spend a lot of money on it. A square cut from the middle and hinged with duct tape would probably suffice.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Since it's just a cheap tub, you don't want to spend a lot of money on it. A square cut from the middle and hinged with duct tape would probably suffice.
Yeah it's not exactly acrylic :sarcasm: I was concerned duct tape dry out or my luck, lift off. I was thinking some kind of metal latch I could hot glue in there instead of duct tape. I've seen such a hook-latch before on SOMETHING I own...I can't find what it is..

Thanks for the ideas Shebeen you always have some good ones!

Disquiet

Arachnosquire

I've done this, it works great with electrical tape. I did it the super-ghetto way and folded the lid over and over until I could rip it. A saw would probably work just as well.