My first! A. Metallica-Set up questions

Sporkman

Arachnopeon
My first! A. Metallica-Humidity questions

i just got my first T :D , its an A. Metallica and about 2" in size. i'd be grateful if some of u guys and gals could look over my setup and give me some pointers.

The tank is 8"widex14"longx10"high. The substrait is peat(2 1/2" deep), ive got a deep water dish and my T has constructed a nice web inside some bamboo which is proped up on some other bits of wood. im using a small heat mat which is keeping the temp at about 70 F but the humidity is about 30%, ive read that it should be around 70%, is this gonna cause a problem? Also, is the inclosure high enough?

sorry no pic at mo, camera done that run out of battery thing :mad: . i can get one if needed

Last edited:

Mike H.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I would lose the heat mat...leave the T. at room temps...heat mats and heat lamps will dehydrate your spider FAST...good luck...

Regards, Mike ;)

blckwidow75

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Now I don't personally have any arboreal T's but I would say that the height is fine for now considering the size of the T. You'll probably want to get a higher enclosure the bigger he/she gets. Do you have a screen lid? If so you can simply lay a piece of plastic wrap over a portion of it to increase the humidity. I've done that with mine before and it seems to work. Good luck and congrats on your first T!
I have 4 more being shipped tomorrow and I am getting a surprise freebie too so I am thrilled! I can't wait! So I know how excited you must be.

RichardDegville

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Personally I keep all my Avics ( and most of my arborerals ) in sweet jars and have bred many sp using this method so they must be ok.The heat mats fine if your in the uk ( summer time turn it off ) as for the usa i woudl say it depends on what state you live in regards heat drops etc

My hatchery AKA the airing cuboard {D (plz excuse the photo it was taken in night scope.)

scaramanga

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
What sort of temps are dangerous to your Ts health? I have a blue 25W bulb in my tank, enclosed by a think piece of bamboo. I usually get temps of 77F at the mo. Ive had this setup for around 6 months now and ive had no real problems and a A. Geniculata living in there fine...

It never seems to go higher then 80F. Im now keeping a GBB and a A. Huriana in there (divided with vents)... Keep one water dish full and mist every other day. Des that sound ok?