latin name for...

Sheri

Arachnoking
Old Timer
what was sold to me as a "unicorn baboon".
Thank you all very much. I would also like to hear your stories with this species...

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
It is probably one of the african horned species...genus Ceratogyrus. I have not heard that common name before, but that's what I'd guess anyway.
I don't currently own any though, so can't really give you first hand info on them.

Garrick

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Usually C. marshalli is sold under that name, but who knows? Some vendors are quite creative!
If it's marshalli (AKA C. cornatus and many other variations in spelling), it'll have a nearly vertical "spike" from the center of the carapace.
Here's my page on it:

unicorn

I have no experience with captive bred of this species, nor with any males. I've raised two wild-caught juvi females to maturity over a few years and still have them with me- mine eat, dig, and web like any Harpactirid, such as Pterinochilus ssp. and other Ceratogyrus ssp. However, my marshalli are some of the most docile, non-stridulating, non-skittish spiders I have. I imagine most experiences differ from that. . .I tihnk it's my wife's habit of cooing at them that makes them that way, but i'd definitely like to hear the experiences of others.

In any case, they are beautiful.

garrick

Sheri

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Garrick said:
Usually C. marshalli is sold under that name, but who knows? Some vendors are quite creative!
That sounds like mine, for sure. I have never seen any aggression from him/her yet, it seems that once they are tunneling, there are no problems, like every other T that feels most comfortable in a retreat. The tunnels are supreme! All though the entire enclusure in 10" of soil, and many are built right against the glass so I have seen him run through the channels to get a cricket that was dropped in the entrance. His entrance he has built up from the ground level about another 4". He has turned into one of my favorites for sure.