Help! My OBT Escaped!

arachnidkid

Arachnopeon
I need some serious advice! I've been keeping for about 3 years and while transferring my inch and a half orange baboon he (we think its a he) decided to bolt! any advice on catching him? we've searched everywhere! he's been gone since last night around 7 pm! i need to find him asap, and do not want any of my roommates or myself to have run in with him in the middle of the night!

Taranto1989

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Be vigilante and equip everyone in the house with a catch cup. Eventually you will see him but in the mean time clean clean clean the fewer spots to hide the better. Also get into the habit of checking your shoes a bite on your toe in the morning is a guaranteed bad rest of the week. On the brighter side you cant get much better pest control lol. When you do see him stay calm and keep your eye on him.

arachnidkid

Arachnopeon
any ideas where he may be hiding? ive never had one escape before him. im not used to this hha

fyic

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
How big of a area we talking? Take it you didn't do this transfer in say a bathroom (small place)? I would put out a water dish and keep a flash light handy...seems like most people find them close to where the transfer went down and being it's a OBT small chance it could be on the walls or corners......good luck and keep us posted

arachnidkid

Arachnopeon
its a pretty small apartment we are 70% sure hes in the kitchen, which was where we did the transfer. weve pulled out appliances and such but to no avail

fyic

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
how about under the sink? and does your cabinets have that lil lip on the bottom (kick plate)? might be hiding up under there it's dark and samll.....hmmm keep the lights out and use a flash light and again put out a water dish

any small kids around?

arachnidkid

Arachnopeon
nope haha just four college kids. we are pretty lucky. as long as we find him before break is over we are fine, but if we cant find him soon they are probably going to bug bomb our place.

fyic

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
who is THEY going to bug bomb? and I'm guess you will be moving any other T's out?

arachnidkid

Arachnopeon
its the apartment complex security. i felt obligated to contact them since he is venomous. and oh yes oh yes. worst case scenario we will be moving all 20 of Ts to my colleges reptile room till its safe for them again

fyic

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Sounds like a good old horror movie.........College kids/Apartment complex/OBT Escapes hahahaha

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
nope haha just four college kids. we are pretty lucky. as long as we find him before break is over we are fine, but if we cant find him soon they are probably going to bug bomb our place.
A bug bomb will render the apartment unsafe for T's for a long time. You may need to sell your collection.

arachnidkid

Arachnopeon
welp we are spending ll day today and all night hunting him down! so wish us luck!

chrisacres

Arachnopeon
A sticky trap won't kill it directly but trying to get it off the trap after will result in death. Glue + ventral book lungs = spider corpse.

LazzeZee

Arachnopeon
I know that some people uses flour when a snake is missing, maybe the same would work for your obt. But then again, he might be sitting and waiting?

arachnidkid

Arachnopeon
thats what we are hoping we have the air low in hopes of freezing him out so he moves to the warm dishes of water in each room

SgtSparkles

Arachnosquire
We had a bohemi that escaped and was literally gone for a month before we found him alive and kicking also literally under the refrigerator

katythrailkille

Arachnopeon
Re: OBT MIA

My SO and I recently encountered this dilemma as well. We were also in the kitchen, and the little guy decided to bolt under the oven. We removed the bottom pan tray and didn't see him anywhere, but luckily spotted him on the vertical wall in the inch-wide space between it and the wall of the oven (is this clear? lol. difficult explanation). We spotlighted him, gathered a catch cup, and coaxed him out with a paintbrush. He was definitely ready to bolt again, so a quick hand is definitely necessary.

Call someone? idkkkkk. lol. Keep looking. You'll find it. Best of luck!

Beary Strange

Arachnodemon
I think bug bombing your place because an OBT sling got out is a bit extreme, especially since most stories of run away slings start with "found it a month later..." and come on now, it's not a freaking cobra. It's out in your house now, and doesn't want anything to do with you, your roommates or anyone else; it just wants to hide and feel safe.

You may want to try towels all bunched up and scattered around instead of water dishes. OBTs are an arid species, but a shy one. Take advantage of their need to be hidden. Some people actually scrunch up towels about the area they're transferring an OBT (and similar Ts) in for this very reason; the logic being if they bolt out, they're more likely to seek immediate shelter in the towels folds.