Spider Rooms and humidity

shawno821

Arachno Pimp
I have a 12'x12' spider room with its own heat and humidifier.My problem is,the humidifier just can't keep up the humidity I need,as it only keeps it at 35%. What are some tips/tricks to raise the humidity? I was thinking of putting a 10 gal fish tank in there to help,but not sure if it would.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Listen, that is Not enough detail. What are the room temps day night throughout the year etc? Does the room have its own ventilation? What type of humidity level are you requiring? What are FULL dimensions of the room, does your room have 50 ft ceilings or higher?

Without any info it's useless to give you advice.

Last edited:

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Listen, that is Not enough detail. What are the room temps day night throughout the year etc? Does the room have its own ventilation? What type of humidity level are you requiring? What are FULL dimensions of the room, does your room have 50 ft ceilings or higher?

Without any info it's useless to give you advice.
Let me add to this, which is all relevant, what is the average ambient humidity in your area and house/building? If you are introducing moisture into the room it has to be going somewhere. The problem, and a serious nightmare at certain hospitals where humidifiers are mandatory, is dry ambient air sucks up moisture like a sponge. You have to restrict ambient air circulation. In turn this promotes mold and fungus growth. So you may have to include forced air circulation, filtration (99%) and sterilization (usually UV).

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
So true Snark, i didnt even get into all that--maybe the OP lives in a desert?? Don't see how people think forum readers are mind-readers

just1moreT

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I dont see the need to worry about humdity in the room, unless your room is free range area , there containers will have more humdity in them if they have any visible moisture in them , a dryer room will indeed suck the moisture out of there cointainers faster fore sure, mine runs dry so I do check my spiders daily, I also keep many plants In my spider room and with the heat running still a low humdity, it has not affected none of my critters young or old,

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
You need to read this: Humidity.
Good call and good link.

As far as Ts go, this seems weird to me. We have them here where relative humidity stays above 90% 6 months out of the year. You have them around the Salton Sea and on south where the humidity remains below 10% year round.

Stan Schultz

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have a 12'x12' spider room with its own heat ...
I am trying to gauge your level of expertise and your real needs with this reply. Humor me in your response, please.

Why do you think the room needs "its own heat?" What kind of spiders (tarantulas?) are you trying to keep? How cold does the room get? Have you read Temperature?

... My problem is,the humidifier just can't keep up the humidity I need ...
Why do you think the room needs the humidity? What kind of spiders (tarantulas?) are you trying to keep? Have you read Relative Humidity?

... it only keeps it at 35%. ...
Unless you have either an industrial or research grade humidity gauge and calibrate it regularly, it's almost surely wrong. Maybe even broke. And, almost surely unneeded, or at least you can use other methods for monitoring and adjusting humidity.

Lastly, if you keep the humidity in a closed room too high, you'll be more successful at growing mold than tarantulas, especially in poorly ventilated places like behind furnishings and in closets. That can pose a serious health risk. And, it can require your completely refurbishing that room if and when you ever want to do anything else with it (e.g., sell the house, move out of the apartment, turn it into an office or nursery). That can be a very expensive and time consuming consequence, and a major reason I'm asking.

From the general tone of your query, I have a feeling you may not have had a lot of experience with tarantulas, and have been reading and believing care sheets too avidly. I think we need more information before either you or we make a really serious mistake.

Like most things about tarantulas, the questions are simple. The answers are marvelously, sometimes maddeningly, complex!

philfish66

Arachnopeon
Hi there I have read through this post and find that if you need to have high humidity, like in the 80's range then you must seal the room walls and in the corners with pond paint, so you can clean them more easily and mould will not grow as well on it, because it cant get a strong grip hold. then you must have vents at the far end of the room opposite the door end of the room . you should have a vent at the door end or a fan. the fan should come on at least once a day...now To keep the humidity up try putting a 30gl or more tank of water with a 200w fish tank heater in it set at 88F or higher keep the tank open topped so it can evaporate. just to going back to your T.s for a min. why would you want to have the humidity so high in the room. you should keep the room warm but keep the T's in separate terrariums. its mutch better for you both and easyer. unless your making a rain forrest,

phil

Last edited:

VaanBasch

Arachnopeon
OK so your room is 12X12 im guessing standard 9' ceiling ? is the door of the room / any windows open ? or are the cracks that could let any air in or out ? is steam coming from the humidifier? ( sorry some questions are a little overkill) If whatever you use to test the humidity is near any draft or airflow typically the reading you will get is somewhat false . If you could test the humidity on floor level , 3 ft from floor and 6 ft you should get different results ( if there is a draft) normally in a heated room heat and humidity will rise up * also the only consumer hygrometers that are useful ( To me) are the "analog" ones since i can get 3 digital ones and have 2 the same and one off by 5+/- % ..... well for now just try testing at different levels and close the door of the room and test for a draft . After that I would love to hear your results and help from there out . Thank you for your time

* cold "damp" air can settle , use of a small (4-5") fan in the room can help eliminate this

Sources : Myself , I manage many indoor climate control systems typically used in Factory Farms / Large Greenhouses etc, Been doing this the last 7 Years .