Idiothele mira Owners>> Growth Rate?

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Does anyone have a good idea on the growth rate of Idiothele mira from sling to full size? Species name + growth rate, pulled up zilcho on the forum. I know quite a few people have this species here. Thanks!

telepatella

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Here's the growth rate of my I. mira from 1/2" which I purchased on 6/20/12; molted on: 7/6/12, 8/3/12, 9/13/12, 10/14/12, 12/22/12, 4/30/13 matured male. Its adult size was 2 1/2" I gave him to a breeder and he got et and the breeder botched the whole thing...but I'm not bitter:)

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Here's the growth rate of my I. mira from 1/2" which I purchased on 6/20/12; molted on: 7/6/12, 8/3/12, 9/13/12, 10/14/12, 12/22/12, 4/30/13 matured male. Its adult size was 2 1/2" I gave him to a breeder and he got et and the breeder botched the whole thing...but I'm not bitter:)
Thanks! This is exactly what I was looking for, molting records even better.

spiderengineer

Arachnoangel
they don't grow that big to begin with, mine mature into males after a few months of acuring them and they weren't that big when I got them to begin with.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
they don't grow that big to begin with, mine mature into males after a few months of acuring them and they weren't that big when I got them to begin with.
Oh mira is a "dwarf" species then? I didn't know this at all.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Ah..def. not dwarf then..Thanks for the clarification!

Keith B

Arachnobaron
Yeah too big to be dwarfs. I've been watching this thread for answers from people with full grown females. So far we have the males. Males often mature fast and small in many species. Females are often the one that sets the bar for how big they can get by living longer.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Yeah too big to be dwarfs. I've been watching this thread for answers from people with full grown females. So far we have the males. Males often mature fast and small in many species. Females are often the one that sets the bar for how big they can get by living longer.
SO true. I was looking at someone's pairing pic, and the male was literally DWARFED by the female. One of the largest examples of sexual dimorphism I have seen in Ts.

Ceratogyrus

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
SO true. I was looking at someone's pairing pic, and the male was literally DWARFED by the female. One of the largest examples of sexual dimorphism I have seen in Ts.
Until you see Augacephalus junodi pairs. :)

Tarantula Fangs

Arachnosquire
Idiothele Sling care?

Hey Guys, I just bought a Idiothele Mira sling a few days ago, it's close to an inch big, I haven't measured it yet, but it looked like it had molted before I got it. This would be my first trapdoor genus and I don't really know what the best way to care, for this little guy, would be, it really was a spontaneous buy but I'm happy I decided on getting it. :) Anyway, does anyone have a recommendation on what kind of enclosure, substrate, and setup is best for this sling? It's currently housed in a 4" round deli container with vermiculite substrate, I would truly appreciate any help provided, thanks guys! :D

---------- Post added 01-13-2015 at 09:50 AM ----------

Any good tips on raising a young Blue Foot? :)

---------- Post added 01-13-2015 at 09:52 AM ----------

Do you have a Youtube account? do you have any good ideas on raising a I. mira?

spiderengineer

Arachnoangel
Hey Guys, I just bought a Idiothele Mira sling a few days ago, it's close to an inch big, I haven't measured it yet, but it looked like it had molted before I got it. This would be my first trapdoor genus and I don't really know what the best way to care, for this little guy, would be, it really was a spontaneous buy but I'm happy I decided on getting it. :) Anyway, does anyone have a recommendation on what kind of enclosure, substrate, and setup is best for this sling? It's currently housed in a 4" round deli container with vermiculite substrate, I would truly appreciate any help provided, thanks guys! :D

---------- Post added 01-13-2015 at 09:50 AM ----------

Any good tips on raising a young Blue Foot? :)

get a tall container add lots of substrate, I prefer peat moss, wet the substrate then add the spider.

advan

oOOo
Staff member
get a tall container add lots of substrate, I prefer peat moss, wet the substrate then add the spider.
Considering it is only an inch, a tall 40-50 dram vial will work for now, then move to a 32oz deli or 4x4x7 cube. Keep this species on the dryer side.

Mating pics for Chris.

Result.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Hey Guys, I just bought a Idiothele Mira sling a few days ago, it's close to an inch big, I haven't measured it yet, but it looked like it had molted before I got it. This would be my first trapdoor genus and I don't really know what the best way to care, for this little guy, would be, it really was a spontaneous buy but I'm happy I decided on getting it. :) Anyway, does anyone have a recommendation on what kind of enclosure, substrate, and setup is best for this sling? Any good tips on raising a young Blue Foot?
Mine were about 1/2" when I got them and are growing at a moderate rate. I keep them in 16 oz deli cups with cross ventilation from a couple rings of small holes around the upper sides. They get an inch of dry substrate, a piece of cork, and a small water bowl. They'll be underground most of the time, in tunnels. When they're hungry they either come totally out or they'll sit at the entrance of their tunnel with just their feet sticking out (I think the bright blue color is a lure for insects wanting to investigate fruit and flowers). When a cricket gets in range, they dart out, grab it, and dart back in, all in the blink of an eye. They make a sort of trap door, but not as precisely as trap door spiders.

Like the other baboons from east and southern Africa, they don't like moist, stuffy cages.

spiderengineer

Arachnoangel
Considering it is only an inch, a tall 40-50 dram vial will work for now, then move to a 32oz deli or 4x4x7 cube. Keep this species on the dryer side.
that works as well, I just like putting burrowing species sling in bigger containers starting out and let them grow into the containers to reduce rehousing. especially since this species doesn't get that big to begin with

Tarantula Fangs

Arachnosquire
:happy: good advice, thank you for that!

---------- Post added 01-13-2015 at 12:37 PM ----------

wow, great pics, thanks for the help. :)

---------- Post added 01-13-2015 at 12:41 PM ----------

I see, alright thank you so much for that. I have a 50 dram container lying around, I can't seem to add holes on the side of the enclosure but the plastic lid is full of em, would this be suitable? I'll be adding some cocofiber substrate and try adding a pic.

---------- Post added 01-13-2015 at 12:42 PM ----------

You just answered my question, thank you for that, I'm also a fan of your channel, thanks for the help fellas! :)