Hoping to start collecting T's

MissHarlen

Arachnosquire
Hello Arachnoboards. I'm a young woman hoping to take tarantulas up as a hobby and need to know what would be a good start species for me.

Info:
- I don't necessarily care about handling, but I don't want the T to be too aggressive
- I'd like to have one that would spend time out in the open, and not holed up in it's hide all the time
- Something pretty would be nice too. I think all T's are cool looking, but I'm a sucker for a gorgeous T

Things I'd like to know:
- Good species for beginners
- What habitats are suitable for specific species?
- What is the best food for that species?
- Where can I find them for sale either online or in stores?

kean

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Brachypelma's & Grammostola's are the best Beginner Species..

Dry Substrate + a Hide and a Shallow Water Dish..

Crickets and Roaches do well at the size of their abdomen (just to be safe)..

SeanSYW

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
For most TS, crickets are their staple diet, but meal worms and super worms also work. I'm not sure what type of spider you're interested in though (large or small). Most people would say that a G. rosea is the best beginner T, but I've seen quite a few defensive ones or others that basically never eat.
I recommend getting a B. albopilosum (or any Brachypelma for that matter) instead, or if you want a humongous one, an Lasiodora parahybana.
They both are about as easy to care for as they get. But if you want a real looker an A. geniculata is a big spider that I would consider. I'm not a big fan of of GBBs (C. cyaneopubescens), but it's pretty colorful and I do understand why people like it so much.

I won't be the best person to direct you where to buy things online, being that I'm from canada; somebody else can get to you on that.

fyic

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
These are also very good beginner T's

Aphonopelma chalcodes
Aphonopelma hentzi
Aphonopelma moderatum
As well as Brachypelma & Grammostola

What habitats are suitable for specific species?
I like to use Kritter Keepers (kk) But can use just about anything ....look here http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/forumdisplay.php?81-Vivariums-and-Terrariums
Peat moss or Coco fiber....or half and half ....just what i like that is
Hide and a shallow water dish

What is the best food for that species?
Crickets-Roaches-Mealworms & Superworms

Where can I find them for sale either online or in stores?
You can find some at local petshops and yes you can order online
http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/forumdisplay.php?5-Classifieds

Last edited:

z32upgrader

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
These are also very good beginner T's

Aphonopelma chalcodes
Aphonopelma hentzi
Aphonopelma moderatum
As well as Brachypelma & Grammostola

What habitats are suitable for specific species?
I like to use Kritter Keepers (kk) But can use just about anything ....look here http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/forumdisplay.php?81-Vivariums-and-Terrariums
Peat moss or Coco fiber
Hide and a shallow water dish

What is the best food for that species?
Crickets-Roaches-Mealworms & Superworms

Where can I find them for sale either online or in stores?
You can find some at local petshops and yes you can order online
http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/forumdisplay.php?5-Classifieds
Fyic covered everything perfectly. +1 to the Aphonopelmas. A very under-rated genus in my opinion. Chalcodes are ridiculously calm and friendly although slow growers. It would be best to find a juvenile or adult for a beginner. They're cheap too.
Net-bug.net has 3.5-4" female chalcodes for $50.

Last edited:

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
The Euathlus sp. "Yellow" or Euathlus sp. "Red" are also 2 good species. These are a smaller New World species. I will say they are fairly undescribed in the literature, but are becoming established in the hobby. They have a slow growth rate, but disposition is far superior to any of my Grammastolas or Brachypelmas. They can both be kept as others have mentioned above.

Here's a video of someone w/their Euathlus http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-eynusLViSw

Mine behave no differently.

Get Stan's The Tarantula Keeper's Guide 3rd Edition too.

MissHarlen

Arachnosquire
Thanks very much for the information. It's been very helpful! Thank you to Viper for suggesting the keeper's guide. I hadn't even thought of that at first, but it makes total sense to have a manual like that. I have heard good things about the Aphonopelma species as well, especially the desert blonde. I know for a fact that Brachypelma species are very popular. The B. boehmi is a particular favorite of mine because of it's colors. Cost is always something to consider when starting a new hobby, so thank you to z32upgrader for mentioning the cost of the chalcodes.

LordWaffle

Arachnobaron
Lasiodora parahybana is an excellent beginner species as well. Generally good temperament, good eater, incredibly hardy, and once they get to be a bit larger they hang out in the open. "Gorgeous" is a subjective term, because what you find gorgeous I may not and vice versa. To me, LPs are gorgeous, but you may not think so. Either way, they're a great beginner species and one of my personal favorites.

Lilka

Arachnopeon
I adore Lasiodoras for their size, good appetite, and presentation. They are just happy to hang out ;) And second choices already given to you. You cannot go wrong with Aphonopelma, Brachypelma & Grammostola. Although I would think twice about a G. rosea, since they can be serious about fasting for months. They are super hardy, but it can be frustrating to new owners.

All take to arid enclosures. Substrate, water dish, hide. Crickets are staple food.

Here is a more visual link with similar choices http://tarantulakeeper.blogspot.com/2008/12/top-10-beginners-tarantulas.html Steer clear off OBT at Nr. 1o. Yes, it's hardy but also very defensive.

Try to purchase something at 1"+. Let us know what you end up with!

Last edited:

LordWaffle

Arachnobaron
The only thing I'll mention is that list includes P murinus (OBT) as a beginner species. It's really not, and it definitely doesn't fit the bill when it comes to your requirement pertaining to temperament. They are fast and very defensive.

BobGrill

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The only thing I'll mention is that list includes P murinus (OBT) as a beginner species. It's really not, and it definitely doesn't fit the bill when it comes to your requirement pertaining to temperament. They are fast and very defensive.
Yeah why is P murinus on that list ? :/

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Thanks very much for the information. It's been very helpful! Thank you to Viper for suggesting the keeper's guide. I hadn't even thought of that at first, but it makes total sense to have a manual like that. I have heard good things about the Aphonopelma species as well, especially the desert blonde. I know for a fact that Brachypelma species are very popular. The B. boehmi is a particular favorite of mine because of it's colors. Cost is always something to consider when starting a new hobby, so thank you to z32upgrader for mentioning the cost of the chalcodes.
Z32 is absolutely right. That genus is highly overlooked. Every T is different, however, B. boehmi is more likely to flick hairs than B. smithi, just something to keep in mind when it comes to captive husbandry (changing water bowls, rehousing, feeding, etc). And my G. rosea flicks more hairs more often than all of my Ts combined :( I hope it's a male!

If I was you I would definitely follow Lilka's advice and get a 1" sized T to start with. When they are smaller, like .25-.5 inch size, they are all much more of a pain to feed because finding small prey items can be difficult, and some won't eat live prey at that size. For the species Z32 mentioned, a 1" specimen would not be expensive at all. The one species in the United States which is the prettiest is the Rio Grande Gold, it has a nice striking contrast> http://www.thehibbitts.net/troy/photo/misc_arthropods/aphonopelma_moderatum.htm They make great pets too.

Last edited:

Lilka

Arachnopeon
I know. I had that same reaction when reading position 10. Which is why I repeat - do not get an OBT ;)

What about a Eupalaestrus campestratus?

LordWaffle

Arachnobaron
E campestratus would be a great one too. They're super docile and easy to care for.

Zanyamarie

Arachnosquire
Fyic covered everything perfectly. +1 to the Aphonopelmas. A very under-rated genus in my opinion. Chalcodes are ridiculously calm and friendly although slow growers. It would be best to find a juvenile or adult for a beginner. They're cheap too.
Net-bug.net has 3.5-4" female chalcodes for $50.
I agree with these two. My female Chalcodes is amazing. Easy to care for, a good eater, and I think they're pretty. My little girl comes out to explore when I open her enclosure. I have never received any threat postures or anything of that nature from her. Whatever you choose, good luck!

Andyvfr

Arachnopeon
A big MASSIVE vote for Acanthoscurria Geniculata from me. I have a whole bunch of T's, new worlds, old worlds, arboreal, terrestrial, baboon pet holes.... My favourite spider is my little Genic, has been since i got it as a wee little sling less than 1cm.

It never NEVER hides. Even my LP's have a hole to run to. My genic just chills in the open all day every day. You drop some food in and it eats it straight away. Never made any defensive postures. My only spider that spends as much time in the open is my GBB and she flicks hairs at me... Way better looking than an LP too.

Brachypelma grow slow which is kinda frustrating for a newbie. You wanna watch your spider grow to maturity at some sort of speed you can observe. Same for grammostola generally.

Genic just hits all the bases... Impressive size but not stupid. Good looking. Active. Good feeder. Pretty hardy. Not especially defensive. I probably wouldnt pick one up much but its not going to charge you down (nothing really does. Skittish spiders are far worse than defensive ones because they usually end up on you by accident rather than trying to scare you away stood at the entrance to their burrow.)

MissHarlen

Arachnosquire
So far I have 3 I'm considering as a starter. In order of want:
1) Aphonopelma chalcodes
2) Aphonopelma moderatum
3) Acanthoscurria geniculata

How about genus Avicularia? My dad is recommending pinktoes to me as a first, but I'm not so sure. How are they?

Keith B

Arachnobaron
Avicularia are a big plus in the pretty category, but don't especially fit into the "out in the open" requirement. They are also more delicate. For you I would recommend reading the entire Tarantula Keepers Guide, then following up with extensive research on the forums here of keepers experiences with Avics, before getting your first. Beginners, and some that are experienced with the hardier tarantulas, tend to kill these tarantulas with the wrong care regimen. I would suggest sticking to the recommended ones on here first while you do that, and get an Avic later, unless your dad has had successful experience keeping Pink Toes, and this is why he recommended them.

EDIT: Also, only a few Avics are really considered docile, and that reputation has followed into other Avics that have a bit more attitude. One of the higher numbers on the bite reports is from Avicularia versicolor because keepers hear "pinktoes are docile" and think it means all pinktoes.

Last edited: