Cleaning....

ClosetCollector

Arachnosquire
Picked up a few ten gallon tanks, one of em must have had mice or some other stinky animal in it because it smells horrid. Is there anything I can clean it with to remove the smell and still have it be safe to house a tarantula in??

just1moreT

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I usally just use alot of water and paper towels with a good sharp razor blade to scrape the glass, might could let set outside for a bit to remove a little smell im not sure if there is any safe cleaners could be though, i would think reptile keepers would have something they use for there tanks , but again might not be safe for tarantulas.

MarkmD

Arachnoprince
Ive had that problem a few times when requiring T's and enclosures from people, i use hot tap/boiling kettle water, with a small amount of washing up liquid, then leave it for a couple of hours to get the worst off, then use normal hot tap water and scrub it till clean/smelling nice lol, it works for me and had no problems with T's using them.

Mike41793

Arachnoknight
Dawn dish soap or vinegar and baking soda. Just rinse it out well afterwards.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk

ClosetCollector

Arachnosquire
Thanks all, I just wasn't sure what to use as far as being toxic after the fact. Its always a risk acquiring used tanks but so much cheaper...

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Ultimate cleaning to remove odors as well as possible infectious organisms. Hydrogen Peroxide, 50%. DO NOT USE ON ACRYLIC! Only glass. Protect eyes and skin when using. Odors will be gone instantly. Medical grade <5% hydrogen peroxide is marginally effective but will take repeated applications.

kevp

Arachnosquire
Hi there I keep and breed tropical fish and I've had to clean tanks out for years.. The best way by far is to simply use hot water, as hot as you can bare it.. Use a clean cloth to wash and a seperate one to dry it.. Then most importantly leave it outside in the sun, all day it must be dry tho.. the uv light is enough to sterilise. I've never had any problems this way and also there's no way of any harsh chemical residue left remaining.

edgeofthefreak

Arachno-titled!
Old Timer
I've had to reclaim a few glass tanks. I always tip the tank, and flip it around, to keep whatever I'm using to clean in contact with the glass.
Method #1 - If there's any hard water staining, I use a small amount of CLR and a soft plastic scrubbie. Without any pressure, I move the CLR around, ensuring to make contact with all surfaces of the glass. Rinse with an excessive amount of boiling water, straight from the kettle.
Method #2 - If it's just lightly dirty, or if after CLR there is still some staining/odours leftover, I use microwave heated lemon juice poured onto a pile of baking soda.
The second method is all organic, and I make a pile for each of the 5 glass surfaces. Plus, it takes me back to public school chemistry... and smells like lemon.

Once I'm done with all cleaning regime, I give it a smell test every few hours/days. Haven't had an issue just. Feel free to critique my use of chemicals. :D

RzezniksRunAway

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Ultimate cleaning to remove odors as well as possible infectious organisms. Hydrogen Peroxide, 50%. DO NOT USE ON ACRYLIC! Only glass. Protect eyes and skin when using. Odors will be gone instantly. Medical grade <5% hydrogen peroxide is marginally effective but will take repeated applications.
What happens with acrylic?

Tongue Flicker

Arachnobaron
Put lumps of clean, unused coal inside the tank. It absorbs bad odors. Putting a slice of lime or lemon in a small saucer and left for a few days also works.

ClosetCollector

Arachnosquire
Well, I hoped the answer would make me not want to try it... but now I do. Haha.
I do too, LOL... I think I have some small acrylic boxes that I am not using. I smell a science experiment!! Reminded me of when I was younger, someone told me not to put super glue on styrofoam because it would melt. I did, then proceeded to see what other materials super glue melted. Lets just say, yelling and grounding ensued due to afore mentioned activities. Apparently, people do not like their things glued together in a haphazard fashion... LOL

Thanks for all the suggestions BTW, I used vinegar and baking soda to remove the calcified water, then placed an opened box of baking soda in the tank... Smells fresh and look crystal clear.

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
What happens with acrylic?
Acrylic's weak spot is oxygen. It oxidizes, crazes, turns brittle and as said. Hydrogen Peroxide is an oxidizer. In concentrated form it will remove your fingerprints (skin) faster than you can say 'ouch!'. On the fun side you can mask acrylic and use the stuff to etch designs into it. Ends up looking similar to acid etched or sand blasted glass.