Really big A. genic MM

Marijan2

Arachnobaron
I saw few threads and posts about really smal MM's, well, how about we talk about really big ones :)

So, he was my first handler in a while... It was accidental, happened when i was picking him up from pairing, very gentle gal, female is demonic tho.

JZC

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I saw few threads and posts about really smal MM's, well, how about we talk about really big ones :)

So, he was my first handler in a while... It was accidental, happened when i was picking him up from pairing, very gentle gal, female is demonic tho.

How old is he? Looks like he is missing a palp.

Exoskeleton Invertebrates

Arachnoprince
Old Timer

Did you just pair a female A. geniculata with a mature male A. brocklehursti? What you have there is a mature male A. brocklehursti. Would like to see photo of your female.

Jose

tarantulagal

Arachnopeon
What a leggy guy! I have four mature A. Genics, two of those being males and they are in fact much smaller than my females. Good luck with the breeding project, would love to see little slings in the near future!

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
What a leggy guy! I have four mature A. Genics, two of those being males and they are in fact much smaller than my females. Good luck with the breeding project, would love to see little slings in the near future!
Please show photos of your A. geniculata I really would like to know if they are A. geniculata. Not trying to doubt you is just I have seen this situation before people say they have geniculata and it turns out they have brocklehursti.

Jose

---------- Post added 01-28-2014 at 10:12 PM ----------

Here are a couple of my mature males of the Acanthoscurria brocklehursti and Acanthoscurria geniculata.
http://exoskeletoninverts.com/wp-content/gallery/tarantulas/acanthoscurria-brocklehursti-m.jpg
http://exoskeletoninverts.com/wp-content/gallery/tarantulas/acanthoscurria-geniculata-m.jpg

tarantulagal

Arachnopeon
Please show photos of your A. geniculata I really would like to know if they are A. geniculata. Not trying to doubt you is just I have seen this situation before people say they have geniculata and it turns out they have brocklehursti.

Jose

---------- Post added 01-28-2014 at 10:12 PM ----------

Here are a couple of my mature males of the Acanthoscurria brocklehursti and Acanthoscurria geniculata.
http://exoskeletoninverts.com/wp-content/gallery/tarantulas/acanthoscurria-brocklehursti-m.jpg
http://exoskeletoninverts.com/wp-content/gallery/tarantulas/acanthoscurria-geniculata-m.jpg
Gorgeous Ts! To me it's like the difference between a coral and a regular milksnake. The Brocklehursti sp has bolder black bars with red accents and a strikingly dark carapace while the Geniculata sp has subtler pink hues. I have a few A. Genics at the moment and here is one of them taking a drink! This picture is from a few months ago, I'm currently waiting for a molt from this little one.

Attachments

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Gorgeous Ts! To me it's like the difference between a coral and a regular milksnake. The Brocklehursti sp has bolder black bars with red accents and a strikingly dark carapace while the Geniculata sp has subtler pink hues. I have a few A. Genics at the moment and here is one of them taking a drink! This picture is from a few months ago, I'm currently waiting for a molt from this little one.
Thanks for the photo of the A. geniculata but I actually wanted to see the mature males that you were talking about.

Jose

tarantulagal

Arachnopeon
Thanks for the photo of the A. geniculata but I actually wanted to see the mature males that you were talking about.

Jose
Hope this helps a bit, this is one of my mature males. The other one looks pretty identical to him, they're shared the same sac :)

image.jpg

Marijan2

Arachnobaron
holy... yeah you are right, seems i tried to pair my female genic with MM brockle, usually i look carefully for these kind of stuff, but it somehow escaped me now. and i wondered why nothing happened no matter i put him in like 6 times already

was actually thinking the same when i saw no stripes on him, but though nothing of it, though they lose them after they mature

Keith B

Arachnobaron
Yikes.. yeah second that on A. brocklehursti. Be very careful of ID when you're breeding. Crossbreeds are likely to have health complications and you greatly increase the risk on your Ts life my mixing species. He is quite big! Can't wait for my brocklehursti to grow up. Just molted from smaller than my pinky nail to about pinky nail sized >.< so cute

Marijan2

Arachnobaron
i feel so stupid now... wow. well, it's time to contact the seller that sold me him under a. genic

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i feel so stupid now... wow. well, it's time to contact the seller that sold me him under a. genic
This is one of the reasons why I always say just because someone sells you a species that the seller tells you it is does not always mean it is what you just purchased. Always and always do your own research if you are not sure have any doubt of what you have. For the most part we know what we are getting from legit dealers and sellers but mistakes can still happen.

Jose

KcFerry

Arachnosquire
I made the same mistake! A few months ago I paired what I believed to be a MM A. genic with my MF. It was an honest oversight as I also ordered and bought them both as true A. geniculata's? Since I've never studied the A. brock's, I didn't know how similar they are (even posting pic's of them before pairing) I went ahead and paired them...Well, a couple of days ago my female made a sac!:eek:
I was really hoping this wouldn't happen, but it was caught too late.
This was a foolish oversight and I understand the importance of NOT crossbreeding species. Contaminating bloodlines poses all kinds of threats to the species and if the offspring are allowed to breed, the whole genus will become a big mess!
If the sac should yield healthy spiderlings, they would have to be kept away from any possibility of being bred.
Aside from keeping a few to study, especially since they are now known as the same species, just different forms, I am struggling as to how to handle this?
I would value any input as to how to handle this???

Thanks
Kevin

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Can you provide photos of the mature male and the mature female? Also if you know for sure that it was crossbreed and the female just laid a sac take it away from her and destroy it. It does not make since to me knowing that you will try to keep it away from others, cause I know it will make it into the hobby once those slings are ready to meet the world if they make it that far.
So by preventing that to happen I would destroy it! Yes, it's harsh! But in needs to be done.

Jose

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
LEFT: A. geniculata | RIGHT: A. brocklehursti - both females (not mine however)