A horrible loss

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Well right now dealing with frozen water lines, toilet and tub drains, and horrible weather, is bad enough. But unfortunately i found cold air gushing across my tarantula room floor, and hitting a stack of tarantula enclosures. I found a large hand full of them dead. I decided to place them downstairs near my gas heater to try and warm them up and see if they would pull out of it. We had to stay at the ole lady's mom's place for a few nights being the water wasnt working. Well i came home to check on everyone the next day. By some miracle, every single one of them pulled out of it, and was very much alive. I even almost got bit by one! So i was feeling pretty happy, even though the temps and water conditions were still horrible. Well the day after that i came home again to check on everything. The gas heater had decided to shut itself off either during the precious day or during the night. Needless to say the living room was freezing. All of the tarantulas that had came back to life, were now frozen completely solid. I placed another heater in my tarantula room, did some rearranging, and placed them up there. Then after looking through the rest of them, i found a few more dead. I did find a few that were very cold, but after warming up, are doing great. But unfortunately my loss is at 25 now. I lost females that i have been raising for 3 years, and are very dear to me. They cannot be replaced, even by the same species, because it will not be the same spiders. Its a horrible loss, and has almost pushed me to leave the hobby for good. I do believe im going to continue in the hobby. But losing these ones has really put a damper on things. Just thought id share my story and losses. Here is a list of all that was lost, and will have to be tossed out :(. Thanks for listening. Those marked with *, are the ones that were very dear to me.

Damon diadema adult male
Tapinauchenius violaceus 4.25" female *
Cyclosternum fasciatum 4" female
Harpactira marksi 4" female *
Poecilotheria smithi 3" male
Brachypelma albopilosum 3" female *
Brachypelma auratum 4" female *
Ceratogyrus meridionalis 2.5" males x2 *
Brachypelma boehmei 2.75" females x2
Heterothele villosella mature male
Hapalopus sp. Colombia Large 3.25" female *
Pelinobius muticus 4" female *
Aphonopelma crinirifum 2.5" unsexed x2 *
Poecilotheria vittata pen male
Psalmopoeus irminia/cambridgei hybrid 7" female *
Holothele incei 3" female *
Brachypelma smithi 3" female *
Brachypelma emilia 3" female *
Brachypelma vagans 3" male
Grammostola pulchra 2.5" female *
Brachypelma klaasi 3" female *
Tapinauchenius plumipes 4.5" female *

Blut und ehre

Arachnoknight
Man that sucks!!
I have a replacement female B.albo for ya....if you want her....you pay for the shipping and she is yours.

I'm not in the habit of giving mature females away.....but under the circumstances ....I'ld be glad to.

just1moreT

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
John I really hate to hear this I know this weather has been bad I know what you mean about replacing them with different ones just not the same after you have watched grow all these years man anything I can do to help you in future or now just let me know eric

Kroogur

Arachnopeon
I am sorry to hear this :( might not help much but i'll definitely do some praying for you. Stay strong!

JZC

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I could mount any of the lost babies, but I'm really sorry. That's a really traumatic experience that I'm sorry you had to go through.

Curious jay

Arachnodemon
Damn bud that's a hard hit to take.

What about all the breeding you were doing? Hope that's all ok.

Terrible luck bud, condolences.

Keith B

Arachnobaron
So very tragic!! I would be depressed as well, even losing a fraction of that amount! I'm so sorry!! :(

CitizenNumber9

Arachnobaron
So sorry to hear about this, John :( :( :( It was terrible losing one T that I had for a week, I cannot IMAGINE how you must feel. If there is something we can do let us know!

McGuiverstein

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Oh my god man, I can't tell you how sorry I am for all your losses (I'm very sorry to hear your irminia/cambridgei girl was among them; she was gorgeous...). As if this god-awful weather wasn't bad enough as it is. I wish there was something I could offer.

Just want to say, man, I've checked in on your breeding reports periodically, and it need to be said that you are an absolutely invaluable asset to the hobby. Although I don't know you personally, you come off as a really cool and down to earth guy, and I'm sure the hobby as a whole would be affected by your leaving. I can't fathom how tough losing all those guys is, but I'm sure with time you'll be able to bounce back. Hang in there man. Best wishes

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Thank you all very very much. It was a horrible hit. I lost those precious little Brachy females that i have been raising for 3 years now. My T. violaceus was also one that was very dear to me. My female H. marksi i was so proud of being i probably had one of the few adult females in the US, and also have a few slings to raise up some males for her. Was very much looking forward to producing that species. But maybe one day.

As for my breeding progress, check my pairing thread in my signature.

cantthinkofone

Arachnodemon
IM SO SORRY MAN! if theres anything I can do and I mean anything just PM me. Im close so i might be able to help you out. So sorry for your losses. your remaining spiders are in my prayers.

-Nate