How to Pick up a Scorpion?

Spepper

Arachnodemon
I know this is probably a silly question but I know some people handle some of their scorpions on occasion and so I'm curious... how do you go about not upsetting it and still getting it out of its enclosure?

scorpionchaos

Arachnosquire
If I absolutely have to for maintenance I use a a catch cup or pill vial and and a paint brush to coax them into container.

For emperors and forest flatten your hand out and place In front of them and use a brush to coax them into your hand. You can also scoop up the scorpion with the substrate or even grab behind the telson of the scorpion and quickly put him into your hand however I do not recommend this because You could easily damage the scorpion this way and also having your finger that close to the telson....

Technique number one for hots or minimal stress of the animal.

Spepper

Arachnodemon
Ahhh, thank you! I don't have an emperor or Asian forest scorpion but a rather small wild-caught Vaejovidae-something or other that can scuttle quite fast so I don't think I'll be handling it any time soon but my curiosity is now satisfied. :)

Tongue Flicker

Arachnobaron
Let them get out on their own and guide it towards your flat open palm. Free range is better as this is way less stressful

Dizzle

Arachnoknight
I tend to do the scooping method that scorpionchaos mentioned with my emperors from under their substrate. Works fine, haven't been nipped or stung (yet) and they remain calm once being held.

gambite

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
Depends on the temperament and situation, but for Emperors I generally try to scoop them up with two hands laid very flat, or one hand and gently pushing them up against the side of enclosure. However if I am just trying to sex them and not handle them, then gently grasping the base of the tail and lifting seems to work just as well.