What Spider is this? I found this in my house - I live in London

Windle92

Arachnopeon
With all the talk of False Widow Spiders spreading throughout London, I found one of these in my house and am wondering what it is exactly?

If it is a False Widow, should I be worried about the eggs?

This little critter was no bigger than a 1 pence piece. False Widow.jpg

MarkmD

Arachnoprince
Doesn't look my false widow, its an orb-weaver sp, probably Met manerdi/bourneti (if spelled write lol) they can be seen around the uk most of the year. From the pic i cant see exactly what it is so could be wrong but it's a good guess.

Curious jay

Arachnodemon
Please don't feed into the media scare mongering of the false widows, they are harmless and extremely reluctant to bite.

Those horror pics used in papers are bogus, usually caused by secondary infection of bites that haven't been cleaned etc.

No spider in the UK is medically significant in venom potency or possess any necrotic effects from venom.

People forget newspapers are used to push propaganda and other agendas, always have been always will be.

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Please don't feed into the media scare mongering of the false widows, they are harmless and extremely reluctant to bite.

Those horror pics used in papers are bogus, usually caused by secondary infection of bites that haven't been cleaned etc.

No spider in the UK is medically significant in venom potency or possess any necrotic effects from venom.

People forget newspapers are used to push propaganda and other agendas, always have been always will be.
Excellent post. Could you cite references to verify the not medically significant in the UK?

Curious jay

Arachnodemon
Excellent post. Could you cite references to verify the not medically significant in the UK?
Apologies Snark, phone died.

Well they have Steatoda nobilis stated as being medically significant according to the natural history museum: http://www.nhm.ac.uk/nature-online/species-of-the-day/biodiversity/alien-species/steatoda-nobilis/

Other than that I'm unaware of others over here considered to have a medically significant bite, I you know of any other let me know always good to expand the knowledge.

Keith B

Arachnobaron
What?! That would never happen over here in the States. Our media outlets are the pinnacle of integrity.
>.< Yep! Pinnacle of the tip of the peak of the integral iceberg of all that is honest for sure.. truly.. we kid you not ....gee, I kinda feel like the media right now..hmm..

rapidash95

Arachnopeon
HOBO SPIDER (TEGENARIA AGRESTIS) or HOUSE SPIDER (TEGENARIA DUELLICA)

TD.jpg TA.jpg these two are called tegenaria duellica aka common house spider and tegenaria agrestis aka hobo spider minimal experience to take care of these guys i have two TD's both are confirmed female and male. Lifespan is about 1 to 2 years depends they are incredibly fast and can escape if left out. Does not bite because it has speed so they just run away. i have mine in a small betta fish tank like this TANK2.JPG with coco fiber and a small stick or cork bark and feed once or twice a week. They are very aggressive eaters so put in something small for them like fruit flies when they are tiny and then when they are bigger maby crickets or something like that they will eat anything trust me when i say anything even their own kind.

Smokehound714

Arachnoking
Steatoda DO have medically significant venom, just nowhere near as potent as Latrodectus.

I get bit by them occasionally, and they CAN cause muscle spasms aches, fatigue, and nausea. However, i dont view them anywhere near dangerous, unless you have a heart condition, which is really bad if either genera bite you, due to the systemic symptoms. an irregular heartbeat can be dangerous for some people.