Parabuthus leiosoma Breeding Report

Critterfarm

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I introduced the male to the females enclosure at dusk. He explored a bit, then settled himself in a crack between some rocks. I turned the room lights out, and had only the red heat lamp on for observation purposes. After approx 20 minutes, the female emerged from her scrape and set outside the enterance as she does every night. Shortly afterward the male emerged, made a circuit of the tank floor, then went straight to the female. She charged out, and gave a very impressive threat, and the male stopped dead in his tracks about 3/4" from the female. He alternated juddering and moving towards her, until he had her clasped. He was very forceful with her, steering her and pulling harder than I would have liked. He then slowly stung her between segments on her back, which also got me worried of course. :)
They danced for about 15 minutes, and he steered her to a long flat stone, where he deposited and manuvered her for insertion. I actually witnessed ( I think) the insertion. He pulled her close and they did the "kiss-thing" (someone tell me the term for this!)for several minutes. He released her, and she went ballistic. By the time I got the lid off and seperated them she had clipped one of his pectines in half and did some serious damage to one of his legs. He's back in his home, hopefully surviving to meet with my other female later in the month. She had a long drink and went back into her scrape.

I've witnessed some other scorpions mating, but this was by far the most violent and stimulating I've ever seen. Is this normal for this species or do I have a tuff girl here?

Scorpie

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
wow
what a story.
i dont know of how agressive that species are in terms of mating.
keep us posted on how the female is doing.

G. Carnell

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
yeh, i saw my male e.tergestinus clasp the female really roughly, and a bead of heamolympyh(sp?) came out

i didnt know scorp claws cut :O really good story