Euathlus Sp. Red Breeding

Quinquangular

Arachnoknight
I want to possibly learn how to breed tarantulas.
I'm curious if the Euathlus Sp. Red is a hard species to breed?

On one of the websites I shop at I see a pair for sale that are mature and ready to pair together and it's like $75, with $17 shipping.
I want to try to breed and possibly give away some slings to my LPS or insect zoo at a university, since it will all be an educational experience.

After all, this species isn't well researched, so I want to see what you guys think.
Also, if you manage to have a successful pair, can you try pairing the same male AND female again later? Like, a year after the sac was laid down?

And can someone give me an explanation of what a double clutch is, how often it happens along with what species commonly do it?
I have an idea, since I looked up what it meant but I'm still a bit hazy over the definition. (double sac?)

Beary Strange

Arachnodemon
I haven't bred them and despite having a freshly molted female, have no intentions of doing so. The slings are a worrying T keepers worst nightmare: absolutely teeny and hard to get to eat. If you haven't had a sling of this species, you may want to get one first and then see if you really want to care for 100 or so. But if you're ready for that, I found a breeding report here: http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?137886-Euathlus-sp.-quot-red-quot
It seems like many docile NWs are not very nice to their men, so you may need to be prepared to separate them if you plan to continue breeding them. As for being able to breed them a year later, that depends on a lot of variables, but I wouldn't think it'd be terribly likely, just because a year later if he's still alive he'd probably be on his last legs and not making sperm webs.

Double clutching is when the female did not use up all the sperm she had when laying her first clutch and so lays a second. Basically two sacs for the price of one.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I haven't bred them and despite having a freshly molted female, have no intentions of doing so. The slings are a worrying T keepers worst nightmare: absolutely teeny and hard to get to eat. If you haven't had a sling of this species, you may want to get one first and then see if you really want to care for 100 or so. But if you're ready for that, I found a breeding report here: http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?137886-Euathlus-sp.-quot-red-quot
It seems like many docile NWs are not very nice to their men, so you may need to be prepared to separate them if you plan to continue breeding them. As for being able to breed them a year later, that depends on a lot of variables, but I wouldn't think it'd be terribly likely, just because a year later if he's still alive he'd probably be on his last legs and not making sperm webs.

Double clutching is when the female did not use up all the sperm she had when laying her first clutch and so lays a second. Basically two sacs for the price of one.

Yeah the smaller the adults, the smaller the spiderlings. I love all the dwarf species, but man, 1/8" is really hard to feed. I've done it, but it's not fun.

Quinquangular

Arachnoknight
Yeah the smaller the adults, the smaller the spiderlings. I love all the dwarf species, but man, 1/8" is really hard to feed. I've done it, but it's not fun.
Can't you cull them off to a manageable amount, or do the have small sacs?
Perhaps you can feed them like.. pieces of fruit flies? :eek:

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I never bred them. But I've raised a few Ts from that size including this one- its not easy.

Yeah you can kill some if you wanted, you produced them, no law against it. I'd give them away to people that really knew what they were doing though instead of killing them. I'm sure there would be plenty of people on the forum and at herp shows you could give them away to when/if you breed them.

Last edited:

Quinquangular

Arachnoknight
I never bred them. But I've raises a few Ts from that size- its not easy. Yeah you can kill some if you wanted, you produced them. I'd give them away to people that really knew what they were doing though instead of killing them
Oh, didn't mean kill. More like leaving them all in a enclosure and feed them and let them cannibalize a bit to a smaller amount.
Ill probably give them away/donate to an insect zoo at a local University.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Oh, didn't mean kill. More like leaving them all in a enclosure and feed them and let them cannibalize a bit to a smaller amount.
Ill probably give them away/donate to an insect zoo at a local University.
Ohhh hahah now I see, truly survival of the fittest! ;)

Quinquangular

Arachnoknight
Ohhh hahah now I see, truly survival of the fittest! ;)
Yeah.
People breed some insects with large sacs, so people have to let them eat each other off to a decent/manageable amount.
But then again, I need to do more research regarding how a big a sac from this 'species' is.

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Chris has bred them, I think. Same regimen like the sp. "yellow" actually.