Fun and easy species to raise from 1/4"?

Driller64

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I just remembered this: When I was at the Reading, PA reptile show where I bought my late LP sling, on the sellers table there was a Brachypelma smithi sling in a typical sling vial. However, this sling was the smallest thing ever! It was literally the size of an ant. I was thinking, "they can be that small?" I regret not having money to buy it or at least thinking to take a picture of it. I would like to raise a tarantula from a 1/4" sling to a full grown giant hairy spider. So what would be some good choices for a beginner like myself :)?

Last edited:

cold blood

Staff member
Interesting to note....I'm looking at getting a N. chromatus, but I had always read they grow like weeds....hmmmm.

Blut und ehre

Arachnoknight
Then I must have some kind of rare dwarf specie!! hahah[kidding]
I hatched N.Chromatus sac/eggs....I n April of last year. I[kept 12]..They were tiny little "guys".....less then 1/4 inch??...Now ..They are all of 3/8 inch...some are close to a 1/2 though! A B.albo sac that I hatched a week before...now the slings are about 3/4 of an inch...maybe slightly more??
Keep in mind...They are all fed well at the same time and are kept "with heat"!....
IMO I think N Chromatus ...is kind of slow.

JavaJacketOC

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I raised a C.bertae from this size...it was practically un-visible but fruit flies and 1 day crickets were gone after every feeding. Once it got to about 1/3" I moved it to a slightly larger container with a small leaf and it looked like a city was being built over the course of a week as it burrowed.

This is the only Cyriocosmus i've raised and I've had her about a year and a half and she's adult size and really pretty. I would assume other Cyriocosmus' would be similar to raise.

Last edited:

scorpio948

Arachnopeon
I have been raising four B. vagans slings since they were about 1/8". They were extremely tiny. Now, after about five months, all are over 1". They have been easy to care for, raise and have had no problems tackling prey their own size.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gizmosdeath

Arachnopeon
I got my G. Pulchrips at about a 1/4" maybe a little less in March of last year and she has grown to about 2" + in that amount of time. She has been a ton of fun to watch cause she is always redecorating and creating intricate little caves. She is also a fantastic eater and always visible. She once dug out every bit of dirt on the bottom of the cube that I have her in and had little pillar-like supports to hold up all the rest of the dirt, I might start calling her Dozer. I will definitely be breeding her when she gets big enough.

Blut und ehre

Arachnoknight
+1...I hatched G. Pulchripes sac in March of last year........ They are fast growers.....while they are not 2 inches yet...they are over an inch for sure!!

I got my G. Pulchrips at about a 1/4" maybe a little less in March of last year and she has grown to about 2" + in that amount of time. She has been a ton of fun to watch cause she is always redecorating and creating intricate little caves. She is also a fantastic eater and always visible. She once dug out every bit of dirt on the bottom of the cube that I have her in and had little pillar-like supports to hold up all the rest of the dirt, I might start calling her Dozer. I will definitely be breeding her when she gets big enough.

SeanSYW

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I would agree with the Nhandus, they get their pattern pretty early and in my experience do grow like weeds. Great appetites too.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
I would agree with the Nhandus, they get their pattern pretty early and in my experience do grow like weeds. Great appetites too.
+1. Nhandus are great from 1/4" slings. Always hungry, color up early, and grow at a decent pace. What's not 'fun' are tiny slings that grow slow.

just1moreT

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
+1. Nhandus are great from 1/4" slings. Always hungry, color up early, and grow at a decent pace. What's not 'fun' are tiny slings that grow slow.
Poec you wouldnt be talking about Euathlus sp red for one would you:)

oooo35980

Arachnosquire
+1 G. pulchripes

Doesn't need a lot of humidity, eats anything I throw in. Wife tripped and dropped the vial on the floor, and not only did it not die, it molted 2 days later.

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
G. Pulchripes and G. Pulchra...any NW terrestrial is going to be pretty hardy, really.

kean

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I've kept most of my T's from a very small sling.. so I'll suggest an N. Chromatus, any Ceratogyrus, C. Fasciatum, any Brachypelma, any Acanthoscurria, any Lasiodora all of mine have reached around 2-2.5in. in 6months.. the Brachys slow up though when they get bigger..

If you want them really slow growers, get any Aphonopelma or a G. Rosea :)

Keith B

Arachnobaron
You don't really strike me as the kind that cares about how slow or fast they grow. Might appreciate a long-term pet. You just don't want more mishaps like with the first slings, which is understandable. Any of the hardy NWs that don't need a ton of humidity should be good for you. I would still recommend you try again with the LP, cause not seeing one grow up to be huge is missing out. B.smithi or rather any Brachypelma is a good choice. Grammostolas, Acanthoscurrias, Aphonopelmas, Eupalaestrus, Lasiodora, Cyclosternum, to name a few, are all good and hardy.

Imortalis

Arachnopeon
If you like color morphing species, one of my favorites are C. Cyneopubescence. They look completely different as adults than they do when they're slings, and they're fun to watch grow up. They aren't the fastest growers, but there are definitely slower species.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Answer> None

Ive raised a dwarf species starting at a little less than 1/8"--- never again

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Answer> None

Ive raised a dwarf species starting at a little less than 1/8"--- never again
To each their own. I got my H. sp. "Colombia" Large like that and it's now 1.25". My quadrouple E. sp. "red" are like 1.5" at the most now after a couple years. Takes patience, but for some of us it's a rewarding experience :)

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
To each their own. I got my H. sp. "Colombia" Large like that and it's now 1.25". My quadrouple E. sp. "red" are like 1.5" at the most now after a couple years. Takes patience, but for some of us it's a rewarding experience :)
I haven't received any rewards hahah