21 + 11 = Hooray for me

gizmosdeath

Arachnopeon
So a couple weeks back I was looking around on craigslist to see if there were any new tarantulas for sale besides for the usual G. Roseas and I saw someone that was selling their entire collection of 11, possibly 12 Ts. At the time I couldn't afford them so I didn't really think much of it. Well it so happens that I got a bonus and I did what comes naturally to any married man and went to my wife and said, "Hey what do you think about me dropping $400 on some Ts?" I love my wife cause her reply was, "Go for it." I already had 21 T's before today but I love how my wife just takes this all in stride. So, I went and picked them up. I'm really glad I did cause, after seeing the way they were kept, I feel like I rescued them all. After talking to the guy through email I found out that one of the A. Genics had died from dehydration while he was away from the country, so he told me he would give me the other P. Murinus that he had. So I walked away with 2 P. Murinus, 1 LP, 1 H. Mac, 1 A. Versi, 1 A. Genic, 1 B. Albo, 1 P. Regalis and 3 N. Chromatus. All of them are adults or sub adults. Not a bad haul. Didn't find out till I got home that both P. Murinus are MM's but they are looking pretty fresh and both still had their molts in their webs. One of the N. Chromatus is an MM but I'm pretty sure that one is a female, the other I'm not sure yet. The A. versi is for sure an adult female and she is huge. Not quite sure about the LP yet, the guy was sure it was a female, but at around 8" it shouldn't be too hard to sex it tomorrow. Not sure about the H. Mac yet but I didn't ask it to lift it's skirt for me either. I'm 90% sure that the Regalis is a female. The A. Genic is for sure a female. The B. Albo will also have to wait till tomorrow to be sexed.

Living conditions are pretty bad. The H. Mac is in a 5 gallon on less than an inch of calci-sand with a fake skull as a hide. The Regalis is in a 2.5 gallon not even tipped up on its side with two halves of a brick holding up a piece of marble between them. All the others are kept in various sized enclosures, some plastic some glass, with different amounts of substrate and inadequate sized water dishes. I have a long day ahead of me tomorrow. This is by far the most expensive rescue mission I have undertaken so far but I'm hoping that I can come out ahead with some future breeding projects. I wish I would have taken a pic of my wife's face when she saw the size of the LP. I have some pretty big arboreal's but none that come even close, girth-wise, to the LP. I'll try to get some pics for you all tomorrow. I have been wanting a couple of these species for a while so I'm pretty stoked about the whole thing. I also inherited a small colony of Hissers and a tub full of, what looks like, mix and match roaches. I think there are some dubia in there but there's also another species as well. At this point I'm not sure I even want to try and sort out the roaches. They are in a tub that has never been cleaned and food has been piled on top of food and I think that there may be an alien organism growing in there as well. If you have ever seen the movie Evolution, it's kinda like that. The egg crates are so degraded that they just crumble when picked up. It's like a roach version of Ramsey's Kitchen Nightmares. Hope you all enjoyed the story but I have work to do. Peace

Oddballrunt

Arachnopeon
So a couple weeks back I was looking around on craigslist to see if there were any new tarantulas for sale besides for the usual G. Roseas and I saw someone that was selling their entire collection of 11, possibly 12 Ts. At the time I couldn't afford them so I didn't really think much of it. Well it so happens that I got a bonus and I did what comes naturally to any married man and went to my wife and said, "Hey what do you think about me dropping $400 on some Ts?" I love my wife cause her reply was, "Go for it." I already had 21 T's before today but I love how my wife just takes this all in stride. So, I went and picked them up. I'm really glad I did cause, after seeing the way they were kept, I feel like I rescued them all. After talking to the guy through email I found out that one of the A. Genics had died from dehydration while he was away from the country, so he told me he would give me the other P. Murinus that he had. So I walked away with 2 P. Murinus, 1 LP, 1 H. Mac, 1 A. Versi, 1 A. Genic, 1 B. Albo, 1 P. Regalis and 3 N. Chromatus. All of them are adults or sub adults. Not a bad haul. Didn't find out till I got home that both P. Murinus are MM's but they are looking pretty fresh and both still had their molts in their webs. One of the N. Chromatus is an MM but I'm pretty sure that one is a female, the other I'm not sure yet. The A. versi is for sure an adult female and she is huge. Not quite sure about the LP yet, the guy was sure it was a female, but at around 8" it shouldn't be too hard to sex it tomorrow. Not sure about the H. Mac yet but I didn't ask it to lift it's skirt for me either. I'm 90% sure that the Regalis is a female. The A. Genic is for sure a female. The B. Albo will also have to wait till tomorrow to be sexed.

Living conditions are pretty bad. The H. Mac is in a 5 gallon on less than an inch of calci-sand with a fake skull as a hide. The Regalis is in a 2.5 gallon not even tipped up on its side with two halves of a brick holding up a piece of marble between them. All the others are kept in various sized enclosures, some plastic some glass, with different amounts of substrate and inadequate sized water dishes. I have a long day ahead of me tomorrow. This is by far the most expensive rescue mission I have undertaken so far but I'm hoping that I can come out ahead with some future breeding projects. I wish I would have taken a pic of my wife's face when she saw the size of the LP. I have some pretty big arboreal's but none that come even close, girth-wise, to the LP. I'll try to get some pics for you all tomorrow. I have been wanting a couple of these species for a while so I'm pretty stoked about the whole thing. I also inherited a small colony of Hissers and a tub full of, what looks like, mix and match roaches. I think there are some dubia in there but there's also another species as well. At this point I'm not sure I even want to try and sort out the roaches. They are in a tub that has never been cleaned and food has been piled on top of food and I think that there may be an alien organism growing in there as well. If you have ever seen the movie Evolution, it's kinda like that. The egg crates are so degraded that they just crumble when picked up. It's like a roach version of Ramsey's Kitchen Nightmares. Hope you all enjoyed the story but I have work to do. Peace
You are very lucky! When I want another T it usually involves an hour foot massage session with my wife lol! I'm working up the heart to tell her I want a P.Metallica now. Lol on a more serious note congrats on the new T's glad you got them before it was to late. Now I am going to craigslist :)

fyic

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
wOw very nice man

post some pic's when you get them all setup ......be nice to see

Wildenthusiast

Arachnosquire
Congratulations. and seriously nice find, buddy! I check Craigslist at least daily, and rarely even see Rosies listed. Loved the story as well. Very imaginative description of the roach colony. :)

Best of luck with your new acquisitions. Setting up new homes for that many adult T's would be a long day indeed!

Mike41793

Arachnoknight
Nice find and good on you for taking them all in. Definitely post some pics of the critters when you get a chance!

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk

gizmosdeath

Arachnopeon
100_1755.jpg
100_1743.jpg
100_1706.jpg
100_1719.jpg

These were the best pics I could get of some of the collection due to some of the deli cups not being very see-through.

gizmosdeath

Arachnopeon
Oh man the roaches are gone dude. I couldn't handle the smell anymore. I tried to save what I could from the roaches and trashed the rest. It''s no joke when I say that the tub was unsanitary. Thinking back I wish I would have got a pic but I was trying to wrangle roaches from crawling out of the tub and the KK I was putting them in. My wife is deathly afraid of roaches and she had the creepy crawlies for the rest of the night. However, I do have another funny story about roaches and my wife. One of my pregnant adult discoids escaped me one night without me knowing it. My wife went to work the next day and found it in her shoe. She was walking around all morning feeling something moving in her shoe. She then proceeded to step on it. Can you imagine what happened when she stepped on a pregnant female roach? Let me just tell you I got an ear full lol. I thought it was hilarious but she wasn't laughing at the time.

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
wow what a nice haul. kinda sad some where MM tho =\ but might be able to find someone in the breeding section who needs them. [maybe money back, or 50/50? ;)]

Silberrücken

Arachnoangel
That H. mac is gorrrrrgeoussss!!!!!!!!!

Congrats on getting these - they will live a much better life with you. :happy:

Lrntolive

Arachnopeon
Hey Gizmo,

I hate to ask this, but could you list the names of all these guys in the order of the images shown. I'm so new to this I'm not sure what all of these are.

Thank you

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
More pics. They should all be happier now.
not a frown in site giz ;D hah i made a pun.. site..and ig frown too if u think about it.. either way they look like they are in great conditions now wish we could seen the roaches tho tbh and the t's in their old cages =\ would be great for a good n bad husbandry picture example book/post XD

gizmosdeath

Arachnopeon
Hey Gizmo,

I hate to ask this, but could you list the names of all these guys in the order of the images shown. I'm so new to this I'm not sure what all of these are.

Thank you
This is in order Starting with the second pic: H. Maculata, N. Chromatus, A. Geniculata, A. Versicolor, P. Regalis, Another of the A. Genic, a second N. Chromatus, an L. Paryhbana and a second pic of one of the N. Chromatus. The rest of the T's i didn't get pics of but I might get around to it. Who knows I might make this my picture thread.

not a frown in site giz ;D hah i made a pun.. site..and ig frown too if u think about it.. either way they look like they are in great conditions now wish we could seen the roaches tho tbh and the t's in their old cages =\ would be great for a good n bad husbandry picture example book/post XD
Now I'm really wishing I had taken some pics of the roach bin for you guys. Yeah, I need to read the books with big pictures too lol.

Crickeylynn

Arachnopeon
Oh man the roaches are gone dude. I couldn't handle the smell anymore. I tried to save what I could from the roaches and trashed the rest. It''s no joke when I say that the tub was unsanitary. Thinking back I wish I would have got a pic but I was trying to wrangle roaches from crawling out of the tub and the KK I was putting them in. My wife is deathly afraid of roaches and she had the creepy crawlies for the rest of the night. However, I do have another funny story about roaches and my wife. One of my pregnant adult discoids escaped me one night without me knowing it. My wife went to work the next day and found it in her shoe. She was walking around all morning feeling something moving in her shoe. She then proceeded to step on it. Can you imagine what happened when she stepped on a pregnant female roach? Let me just tell you I got an ear full lol. I thought it was hilarious but she wasn't laughing at the time.
That is one of the most horrific things that could ever happen to me. Your poor wife.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk

Lrntolive

Arachnopeon
Gizmo,

Thank you for the breakdown. Those are some great specimens. Maybe someday i'll be able to have a few of those. I especially like the A. Versicolor. I think I'll wait until I've had a little more experience with my Metallica before adding to my collection.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk