GBB sling long premolt

Driller64

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I suspect my GBB sling has been in premolt for about two months now. It has stopped eating and the shiny part on its abdomen is dark. It's last molt was on 11/24/13. It had an incredibly long premolt for that last molt as well, also taking about two months to finally molt. I got the T on 9/24/13. The sling is about 1" LS and slings of that size usually molt once per month, so should I be concerned about this?

Here is a picture of it:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1392591059.819552.jpg

Keith B

Arachnobaron
It should molt any day now. Once a month is preposterous and awfully optimistic. It took mine 41 days to molt from .5" to .75", with a 16 day fast, and I powerfed the bejesus out of it. On a lighter feeding routine you can expect the times to be much more spread. It just feels like forever lol. By definition of your post and looking at your time frames, your T is in pre-molt whenever it's not physically molting. It's been a little over two and a half months since your last molt. I fathom that it ate for at least a month before fasting, and just because it stops eating doesn't make it pre-molt. At most it's been in pre-molt for a week or two. But yeah, any day now. Be ready :D

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
Some of them are just slow and/or late bloomers. I wouldn't worry.

Kinkyskink

Arachnopeon
My avic was in premolt for 5 weeks and just molted a few days ago. It's been a little cold in my house lately so that may have been why it took so long. Went from 0.75" to 1". I have had others take 2-3 months to molt at that same size. Just depends on the animal and conditions.

Driller64

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
It is now March 2nd, still no molt. Should I be worried now?

Tomoran

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
One of my GBBs didn't eat for just over two months for one of its molts, and that was after a very brief premolt for the previous one. Consequently, it was when the temps around here dropped a bit. I have yet to have any of my slings follow the "once a month" molt rule. I wouldn't panic. :)

Wildenthusiast

Arachnosquire
To me, that seems like a relatively short amount of time to start being concerned. Like Hobo said, some take longer than others. Had a small OBT go over three weeks refusing feeders, and a couple weeks later a similar-sized P. irminia molt two days after a big feed. Breathe easy, and keep us posted. :)

Driller64

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
March 22nd, still no molt. Is it me, or is my GBB sling getting thinner?

Here is a recent picture:

Now compare it with the picture on the first post. See the difference?

P.S. The reason the GBB sling's container looks moist is be because thinking the thinness is from dehydration, I sprayed a little water into its cage. I think it was a bit too much though.

Wildenthusiast

Arachnosquire
Is there a hide/retreat of some sort available? I'm only seeing the cap/bowl. While GBB stay in the open, and do a ton of webbing, I have had both T's and true spiders refuse food when secured housing needs were not met. It's just an idea, and I could be totally off base.

Formerphobe

Arachnoking
Old Timer
There is no pre-determined time frame for slings to molt. It's dependent on husbandry, season/weather and individual spider. The most recent GBB slings that I raised from second instar, rarely went less than 2 months between molts. Each molt cycle is longer than the previous. Misting a GBB enclosure will not endear you to the spider... just provide a bottle cap for a water bowl.

brianp

Arachnopeon
My GBB is identical to yours and has been fasting for about two weeks. I am not the least bit concerned and I don't think you should be either.

Driller64

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Now this is really weird. Getting concerned about the GBB sling losing weight, I took a cricket that I recently bought, squashed its head, and dropped it right in front of the GBB sling. It took it and is currently eating it. I guess I missed the molt or it doesn't have enough resources to molt or something?

Last edited:

Driller64

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Now this is really weird. Getting concerned about the GBB sling losing weight, I took a cricket that I recently bought, squashed its head, and dropped it right in front of the GBB sling. It took it and is currently eating it. I guess I missed the molt or it doesn't have enough resources to molt or something?
Photographic evidence of this incredible event:

Wildenthusiast

Arachnosquire
If it is eating right now, it's fine. It will molt when it's ready.
+1... Could have been refusing food for many reasons. Premolt is likely, however. If that is the case, environmental conditions/disturbances may have caused it to delay the molt, and therefore lose weight. Scavenged prey was an easy and safe way for it to replenish lost nutrients. All theories, for what they are worth. The important part being that i is indeed eating, and therefore most likely in fine health. Doesn't seem to be any reason to worry.

freedumbdclxvi

Arachnoprince
A spider not eating then eating again isn't incredible. It happens. It will molt and eat when it's ready. Keep access to fresh water, occasionally offer a food item if it isn't molting and stop worrying. It knows what it is doing.

Driller64

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I think the GBB sling may molt soon, because it looks like it will explode if it eats another thing, and it is more sluggish than usual.

klawfran3

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I have a G. Pulchripes sling not even EAT since november. it moulted only a few weeks ago. waiting five months for a .5" baby to eat is nerve racking. Odds are your little GBB will moult soon, but please be patient. The more you keep disturbing it to look at it or try and feed/water it, the longer it will take to moult and the more likely it could get stressed and have an issue moulting.
patience is one of the key things for this hobby. These animals are slow and deliberate, taking time to do even the most menial task.

Jones0911

Arachnobaron
I suspect my GBB sling has been in premolt for about two months now. It has stopped eating and the shiny part on its abdomen is dark. It's last molt was on 11/24/13. It had an incredibly long premolt for that last molt as well, also taking about two months to finally molt. I got the T on 9/24/13. The sling is about 1" LS and slings of that size usually molt once per month, so should I be concerned about this?

Here is a picture of it:

View attachment 124337

I have three of these that I ordered/received altogether at 1/2", recently one molted.

I keep them all exactly the same way they all eat at their own pace therefore grow and molt at their own pace.

the only time you should really be worried about your GBB is when its in a death curl other than that your T knows what's best for its self.

Some of us treat our Ts like they're human babies who can't take care of themselves lol as long as the husbandry is correct there's no need to fret.