Tarantula sp. with huge carapaces

Scolopeon

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I'm curious which has the largest carapace for it's size.

The contenders I have are here:

1) Lasiodorides striatus (Heard several reports it gets a larger body than blondi and stirmi)
2) T. stirmi (40mm plus carapaces as wide as long)
3) T. blondi (Similar to stirmi, but flatter)
4) Pamphobeteus sp. (Chicken Spider)
5) Lasiodora parahybana (Mine is about 8.5", 2 years old with a 36mm carapace)
6) Hysterocrates hercules (It is up there 36x30mm carapace)
7) Hysterocrates scepticus (Reported as big or bigger than hercules)
8) Hysterocrates sp. Nigeria (My AF has a 37-38 x 31-32mm carapace)
9) Phoneyusa sp. (Reports of 40mm carapaces on the larger sp.)

If you know any other sp. that get oversized carapaces list them.

jbm150

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I think overly large carapace, I think Phonyusa.

Schmidti-type Haplopelma have pretty good sized carapaces as well

SuzukiSwift

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
+1 to the H.schmidti. A.geniculata also can get very large carapaces but it's not overly common

Scolopeon

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
+1 to the H.schmidti. A.geniculata also can get very large carapaces but it's not overly common
Thanks, totally forgot about Geniculata, Fran had one with a monster carapace.

I also heard Monocentropus lambertoni gets a huge cephalothorax.

Scolopeon

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Here is my sp. Nigeria, next to my US size 12 feet, big girl... Carapace in the mid 30mm

- She has a good 8" legspan too

image.jpg
image.jpg

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Does Goliath still have largest carapace of any T right?
Pamphobeteus sp. (Chicken Spider) gotta get pretty close id imagine..

Last edited:

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
I've owned AF Lasiodorides striatus and seen a number of them when they were importing w/c adults about 15 years ago. They're no competition with Theraphosa when it comes to body size.

BobGrill

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Not on par with the species you guys are discussing, but I've always thought that E.murinus had a rather large carapace. Same thing with pokies.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Lasiodorides striatus are a lot smaller than goliath though 6-8" right?

wolfs79

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Carapaces

Here is a picture of my adult male burgundy Goliath around 9 inches he has a massive carapace lot more impressive than sp Nigeria although your female is an impressive T :)

IHeartTs

Arachnobaron
Not on par with the species you guys are discussing, but I've always thought that E.murinus had a rather large carapace. Same thing with pokies.
I agree but I think part of that is because e murinus have small abdomens in comparison.

Scolopeon

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I think you'll find the sp. Nigeria AF has a larger carapace than a male blondi, unless he is huge, I see his abdomen is very underfed in your pic.
Remember new worlds are leggier, so a 9" male blondi, should have a smaller carapace than an 8.2,8.3" sp. Nigeria. Could be wrong but I bet i'm right.

image.jpg

That photo above Andrew Smith provided me, it is a comparison of a H. hercules type specimen next the museums largest male blondi (Over 9")
My sp. Nigeria is larger than that hercules. You can see the male blondis carapace is the same length, only slightly wider.

My female has a carapace of 37-38 x 31 mm, almost on par with Goliath Birdeater females.

image.jpg

Last edited:

Exoskeleton Invertebrates

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have two Lasiodorides striatus at about 3.5" inches and can't wait to see them as adult. From photos that I have seen this species seems to get good size a bit bigger than their causin Lasiodorides polycuspulatus. Lasiodorides polycuspulatus are very gentle and stocky and still have a good size.

Jose

awiec

Arachnoprince
I think most of the African species take the cake, I have a P.muticus that has a rather large carapace compared to its body, though we need data on the Aussie species as there are probably some contenders there.

wolfs79

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Hi so I got one of these guys coming tomorrow I see they actually were identified laticeps I am confused though because these bad boys are just as large or larger than the Hercules type specimen?​