Amblypigids and Color variations

Phrynus

Arachnosquire
Hello everyone!
Just curious if anyone here has ever seen a color variant in Whipscorpions... I've collected Hypomelanistic Centruoides but I've never heard of a Hypo Whipscorpion. I've collected well over a thousand Phrynus marginemaculatus and the variations are non-existant with the exception of freshly molted specimens.
Anyway, I found something kinda cool and wanted to see what others have to say.
-later

Phrynus

Arachnosquire
Yes I did!

---------- Post added 02-20-2014 at 06:36 PM ----------

I am having a heck of it I'm uploading the photos maybe you can help me if I send them to you....?

paassatt

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
How are you trying to upload them? Via a image hosting site like photobucket, or through this site directly?

Phrynus

Arachnosquire
I collect from small colonies here in SW Florida, Its not 1 specific place. I've yet to see a variant like this.... Even its whips are a light tan in color.

Spepper

Arachnodemon
That's interesting. Just looking at them I thought they had to be from out of the states as cool as they look. LOL I'm constantly amazed at the interesting things we have right here in the United States that I never knew existed previously. Do they use their claws to pinch in self-defense?

Phrynus

Arachnosquire
Amblypigids are certainly my favorite. They will try to pull against you if they are pinned, but it doesn't even break the skin.
They are absolutely harmless.
PB

MrCrackerpants

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Very cool. Thanks for sharing. The larger amblypigid species can impale you with their pedipalp spikes. It will feel like a needle prick. In some cases a little blood will be present. It does not hurt much but the first time it happens, it freaks you out.:biggrin:

beetleman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
that is very cool! very interesting,looks like ya got something there,that would be awesome to breed with.

Phrynus

Arachnosquire
One of the hypomelanistic Centruoides gracilis dropped 13 offspring, six of which were born hypomelanistic and 7 normal black.
I'm hoping it's a recessive gene that can be reproduced.
Pb

Deroplatys

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I think i remember Banshee showing a pic with a reddish one, apparently they're male, although males are usually normally coloured, i think.

Phrynus

Arachnosquire
Do you have a link to these variants pictures?
Pb

---------- Post added 02-24-2014 at 08:29 AM ----------

Banshee! Did you ever successfully breed the red specimen you found?
Pb

Phrynus

Arachnosquire
Thank you Banshee, Did you ever attempt to breed it?
Pb

---------- Post added 02-25-2014 at 06:27 AM ----------

By-the-way Banshee, I think the one you found is special too:)
Pb