Goliath baboons.

wolfs79

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Hi have been looking for 20 years for some of these guys and finally am buying a pair which I plan on breeding by next spring.

Over the years I have spent lots of money on supposed to be Hercules but were either gigas crassipes etc. But this next pair I bought came from Germanay and are reported to be true Hercules we all know that there is only one know specimen and its in a museum in alcohol. And the sad thing is its really only supposed to get about eight inches.

I don't know who had the authority to ever say they got to be 10 inches because the holotype specimen is not ten inches.

Now the spiders I am getting legs are all the same thickness just like the pics of the the one in Tarantulas in the vivarium. These also have a great olive green sheen on the legs just as stated by lots of info on the web.

I don't need anyone to come on and tell me that they are not available in the hobby I have heard that 1000 times we can believe what we want to believe. I as a lot of others have been burned many times trying to get these. But this is the first time mine are actually coming from a reputable breeder. I will be breeding them next spring or maybe even at the end of this year not sure what I will charge for spiderlings but I will figure that out I paid a lot of money for the pair and once they get a little larger I will post some pics showing their amazing look and colour.

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Either way, you should post some pics the very first day they come in.

litebritedeath

Arachnopeon
Why not take pics of your new arrivals? I'm not trying to be a naysayer but you seem to have a lot of time, money, and energy invested in these T's and saying you'll take pics when they get bigger just seems like you don't want to be told you were sold a lemon. I'm personally just very interested in seeing them and enjoyed reading your post about them.

Last edited:

BrettG

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Stop counting your eggs before they have hatched (or you even have the potential parents in your possession)

fyic

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
post some pics and keep us posted.......hope they are real and it would sure be nice if someone got them back in the hobby

Philth

N.Y.H.C.
Old Timer
But this next pair I bought came from Germanay and are reported to be true Hercules ...

I don't need anyone to come on and tell me that they are not available in the hobby I have heard that 1000 times we can believe what we want to believe. I as a lot of others have been burned many times trying to get these. But this is the first time mine are actually coming from a reputable breeder.

I'm not trying to be argumentative here, since we haven't even seen the spiders yet, but for sure you understand why many people would doubt this. With such a controversial species that has always had a shady past, most people are going to want to hear what the proof was to determine that they are real hercules. I for sure would like to know. Again, I'm not saying they couldn't be real ,but just saying they are real because you know a reputable breeder ( this time around ) is going to be hard for people to swallow. Dismissing everyone's inquiries, by saying, " I don't need anyone to come on and tell me that they are not available in the hobby" is not going to fly with many people.

Later, Tom

MarkmD

Arachnoprince
Congrats and hopefully they are real, would love to see pics.

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Id like to shadow what Tom said.

If you have been looking for these for 20 years, dont you think they would have popped up within that time? And why all of a sudden would there happen to be a pair, but nobody else has any, or knows anyone that does. Also it would be pretty hard to make sure they are what they are, being there is nothing to compare them to.

MarkmD

Arachnoprince
+1 totally agree with catfishrod69, if you have nothing reputable to compare them with then how do the breeders know exactly what they are? thus how do you know they are for sure?, not saying they aren't, but if it was me i would be super suspicious/curious before spending any money, would have to be 100% for me to spend loads on them. just my view.

Driller64

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Sorry if I sound like a noob (which I am :)) but what is the scientific name of this "Goliath Baboon" species? Also if you breed the pair you are getting, I want one of the spiderlings :D

Philth

N.Y.H.C.
Old Timer
if you have nothing reputable to compare them with then how do the breeders know exactly what they are? thus how do you know they are for sure?
To be fair to the OP there is something very reputable to compare them to , and that would be the type specimen deposited in a jar of alcohol, safely stored at the British Museum of Natural History. So if these Germans had access to this, and were able to to identify important key features and structures of this spider that has been sitting in alcohol for 115 years, and match it to what they have, then they have a bit of an argument. Hopefully then they will be legally imported ( declared through Fish and wildlife and U.S. Customs) before they make it to the hands of the OP, so we can see the promised pictures.

Sorry if I sound like a noob (which I am :)) but what is the scientific name of this "Goliath Baboon" species? Also if you breed the pair you are getting, I want one of the spiderlings :D
Hysterocrates hercules, for now save your money and by a H. gigas.

Later, Tom

Last edited:

wolfs79

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Sorry didn't mean to sound like jerk the guy I am buying these from said he has kept gigas crassipes ederi apostolicus etc and these are different but were supposedly true Hercules I am just hoping time will tell they should get at least 8+ inches when full grown which is the size of Hercules from what I have been told. I promise I will revisit this thread and post some pics when they get here:) peace to all.

Ammo71

Arachnopeon
There are different variations to Hysterocrates i have kept a few Gigas is red to brown, crassipes is brown and ederi is black and hercules is green kept them all. Legs are different sizes and hair pattern on legs are different to, so yes you are right indeed.

Scolopeon

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Willing to bet they are not Hercules, I have just had my specimens identified by Andrew Smith and Richard Gallon and it turns out they are a new species of Hysterocrates. These were imported from Nigeria.

Pics attached, the largest female is just over 8" and has a carapace matching Hercules type specimen, leg IV is thin and the colour is more brown than your typical Hysterocrates, although black after a moult in Hysterocrates fashion.

image.jpg
image.jpg

ASAP TARANTULA

Arachnopeon
Willing to bet they are not Hercules, I have just had my specimens identified by Andrew Smith and Richard Gallon and it turns out they are a new species of Hysterocrates. These were imported from Nigeria.

Pics attached, the largest female is just over 8" and has a carapace matching Hercules type specimen, leg IV is thin and the colour is more brown than your typical Hysterocrates, although black after a moult in Hysterocrates fashion.

View attachment 124719
View attachment 124720
This is me for the past 4 years

Last edited by a moderator:

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
These were imported from Nigeria.
Oh my goodness, these are absolutely lovely! I know this thread is from last year, but I'll bite anyway. What species is in these photographs? Has it become more available now, or?

And how did this end for OP? In tragedy? I like to hold out hope, but it's like buying a genuine Sasquatch.

ASAP TARANTULA

Arachnopeon
Oh my goodness, these are absolutely lovely! I know this thread is from last year, but I'll bite anyway. What species is in these photographs? Has it become more available now, or?

And how did this end for OP? In tragedy? I like to hold out hope, but it's like buying a genuine Sasquatch.
So far it's only called Hysterocrates sp Nigeria because its being imported from Nigeria and the availability is still pretty low, I only seen like 1 or 2 people on this forum having them.
I want to buy one so bad tho!