Is natural bark okay to use instead of cork bark?

MissSary

Arachnopeon
I'd like to not spend any more if I can simply carve off a tree in my backyard or find something on the ground. I understand that cork bark is cleaner, but I'd prefer to stay simple and natural. Yes, I will clean it first.

ArachnidKid1997

Arachnopeon
You should check out "tarantulaguy1976" on YouTube. He only uses natural wood in his enlosures.
I'm pretty sure he bakes the wood at 350 degrees for around 15-20 minutes to clean it, but don't quote me on it :p

Mike41793

Arachnoknight
Cork bark is natural.
x2 haha. Cork bark comes from cork trees, it's natural...

But yes, as someone else said, people use other types of bark. I wouldn't say they're any more natural than cork though.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk

vespers

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Cork bark: it doesn't readily mold or rot even under moist conditions, it can be bought in "tube" and branch shapes which work well for certain tarantula species, and it's a renewable natural resource. Great stuff.

SeanSYW

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Yeah, it's perfectly fine, unless it's been exposed to some harmful chemicals (don't mean to state the obvious). Oh and there are a few types of wood that are apparently toxic for Ts and other inverts, such as cedar.

MissSary

Arachnopeon
Yeah, it's perfectly fine, unless it's been exposed to some harmful chemicals (don't mean to state the obvious). Oh and there are a few types of wood that are apparently toxic for Ts and other inverts, such as cedar.
(Taking notes) -no...cedar... k. Well I will study what kinds of bark would be safe and try to come close to what she would have been living in I the wild.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SamuraiSid

Arachnodemon
Finally, my anal retentive need to understand comes in handy!!!! :D

There is a waxy layer covering the outer cells of the tree called sabutin (I dont remember which Tree layer. possibly all of them?). And much like the waxy layer on older T's, the sabutin is what prevents water absorbtion, and the mold and fungus that potentially follow it.

Cork bark comes from the Cork Oak Tree and is "The Best". It stands to reason that any Oak Species will be terrific. Maple is also fantastic for enclosures. Ive used Drift Wood, Maple, variety of Oak and Alder, which shares a family with Birch, but hasnt killed any spiders yet.

Absolutely stay away from Cedar and Birch.

Mike41793

Arachnoknight
Finally, my anal retentive need to understand comes in handy!!!! :D

There is a waxy layer covering the outer cells of the tree called sabutin (I dont remember which Tree layer. possibly all of them?). And much like the waxy layer on older T's, the sabutin is what prevents water absorbtion, and the mold and fungus that potentially follow it.

Cork bark comes from the Cork Oak Tree and is "The Best". It stands to reason that any Oak Species will be terrific. Maple is also fantastic for enclosures. Ive used Drift Wood, Maple, variety of Oak and Alder, which shares a family with Birch, but hasnt killed any spiders yet.

Absolutely stay away from Cedar and Birch.
Do you mean stay away from cedar and pine*?

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk

SeanSYW

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I haven't heard of birch being bad either. Pine I've heard though.

Tcollector

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Buying from a pet store for bark is a waste of money unless you just don't feel like going for a hike looking for cork bark. I always avoided pine and cedar. The way I clean is scrub any residue off with a clean toothbrush. Then I boil water and wash off the wood with it. After it dries a little I then bake it for 15-25 minutes (depending on size and thickness) on 350. I always liked to be a little extra clean and careful taking things from outside :)

Last edited by a moderator:

cold blood

Staff member
Buying from a pet store for bark is a waste of money unless you just don't feel like going for a hike looking for cork bark. I always avoided pine and cedar. The way I clean is scrub any residue off with a clean toothbrush. Then I boil water and wash off the wood with it. After it dries a little I then bake it for 15-25 minutes (depending on size and thickness) on 350. I always liked to be a little extra clean and careful taking things from outside :)
+1 My eyes are always peeled for unique wood for hides when I am in the woods...which is daily...winter sucks though;), snow hides a lot.

Tcollector

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Lol that is so true. I do backpacking and exploring and looking for hides is impossible. During spring and summer I stock up for snakes. Now I need more for T's.

CreepyCrawlies

Arachnosquire
+1-avoid coniferous wood(cedar,pine,etc) I've heard stories of almost every type of animal, from small animals, reptiles, and inverts having some form of negative reaction to these types of substrate.

MissSary

Arachnopeon
Honey Locust tree should be okay? Btw, my avic loves it. Used one silk plant (fake ivy) with medium sized leaves, which she uses as a hide/home. She made her webbing day before yesterday and when she's being active, she will climb around it and the tank. This type of wood is very sturdy and has a soft texture. The drawback is its distinct odor which is similar to mold....trust me, it's not mold--my dad was a carpenter. My avic doesn't seem to mind the odor (no smell receptors after all) and doesn't spend any time off of it! :)

MissSary

Arachnopeon
My t is very happy now, and so am I. Hope to get my next t soon!

---------- Post added 03-20-2014 at 03:04 PM ----------

Honey locust has a much slower rot... As in almost nil.