Stan's Visit

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
As some of you may know, there's a Canadian loose in our country this winter. An impressive gentlemen with a wealth of knowledge on a number of topics, including spiders, known to the authorities as Stanley Schultz. Here he is at a Florida eating establishment, in the company of yours truly:

DSC07708.jpg

Some pics Stan took of my spider room (south end, middle, and north end):

DSC07733.jpg
DSC07735.jpg
DSC07734.jpg

A thoroughly entertaining weekend, and I hope to be a regular stop on Stan's annual migrations south.

litebritedeath

Arachnopeon
Very cool that you got to spend time with Stan! Also great T room. I could spend weeks in there just observing.

CitizenNumber9

Arachnobaron
Very cool! You have a very nice set up - very neat and organized. Hopefully I will have a T room half as nice as yours one day :)

Tomoran

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Great to put a face to the name, Poec; I would have paid to just sit there and listen to the conversations you two must have had. Love the pics of your spider room (always wondered what a collection of that size would look like). Thank you for sharing.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
You have a very nice set up - very neat and organized.
You're too kind. I saw pics of Chris Allen's spider room, and mine is certainly not as organized and tidy as his (although he may have hauled out some stuff for the pics).

cold blood

Staff member
Great to put a face to the name, Poec; I would have paid to just sit there and listen to the conversations you two must have had. Love the pics of your spider room (always wondered what a collection of that size would look like). Thank you for sharing.
+1, Well said.

As I gazed upon the pics in utter fascination and amazement.....not only of the vast quantity, but that it was so uniform and organized it looked like a lab. Beautiful, practical, and inspiring.

Stan, I am in WI if you want to pick me up on the way next year ;)

I would have loved to have been a fly on the wall for those conversations....then again, with my luck you would have been talking hockey when I landed, and as I waited and concentrated on your words of wisdom......a spider would have eaten me...lol.

Thanks for the post!

Beary Strange

Arachnodemon
Poec your collection is so amazing! o-o That is all, because I'd just be repeating what everyone else has said haha.

cold blood

Staff member
just a jokie joke....like my luck, had I been a fly on the wall, I would have still heard nothing. :)

PeaceBee

Arachnoknight
Awesome! Looks like you two had a good time. Your T room looks awesome :D

freedumbdclxvi

Arachnoprince
Great looking setup. When we move, we are looking to get a four bedroom, so I can have an invert/herp room.

Wildenthusiast

Arachnosquire
Jiminny Christmas, what a thread! Poec, my eyes were the size of saucers. Seriously, its great to learn from fellows like you and Stan. Makes me regret having been away from these boards for so long. Thanks for sharing that.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
What are those?

These are great pics..Always wondered what your setup looked like Poec. I knew it'd be well organized.

On that last pic, what type of containers are those very top squarish/trapezoid ones on the VERY top, there's 4 of them. 3 on one shelf, and 1 on the top left of 2nd shelving unit??

Keith B

Arachnobaron
Great pics! TOTALLY envious, of the T room AND the meeting. What a great pic of the both of you. Look like a couple of really nice guys. It would be amazing to be there for that and see that collection! wow! :)

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Great pics! TOTALLY envious, of the T room AND the meeting. What a great pic of the both of you. Look like a couple of really nice guys. It would be amazing to be there for that and see that collection! wow! :)
Stan is a very nice guy. I hope to be helping him with the next revision of his book.

---------- Post added 03-02-2014 at 06:39 PM ----------

On that last pic, what type of containers are those very top squarish/trapezoid ones on the VERY top, there's 4 of them. 3 on one shelf, and 1 on the top left of 2nd shelving unit??
All of the plastic boxes are made by Sterlite, and have latch-type locking tops (very secure). The ones you're asking about came from Walmart (they're squarish and have green handles). I have adult female Avic metallicas in those. On the shelf under them are a smaller size, with blue handles (also from Walmart) that I use for junevile Avics. Again, squarish and tall sides. This shape works great with Avics. They've been the biggest challenge for me of any genus to get happy. I've tried a few different kinds of plastic boxes with Avics, and these have been the best. I put in a couple inches of fairly dry substrate, a slanted piece of cork in one corner, some plastic plants (Zoo Med vine-types), and a 3 oz water bowl. They've spun all around the cork. This is the ideal set up for me for Avics.

The bulk of the plastic boxes are from Target (purple handles). I use a few sizes: shoebox (7 qt), sweater box (15 qt), tall sweater box (26 qt), and on the floor are big ones for my adult Theraphosa (64 qt). I don't know how much you can see, but I use a lot of airholes in all the cages, tops and all 4 sides. Everything gets pretty much the same set up with top soil, cork slabs, plastic plants, and a water bowl (1 oz for shoebox size cages). I vary the moisture and depth of the substrate depending on the species' needs. I give arboreals more plastic plants for cover.

---------- Post added 03-02-2014 at 06:56 PM ----------

Jiminny Christmas, what a thread! Poec, my eyes were the size of saucers.
Thanks. I tend to do things in moderation...

Last edited:

Mike41793

Arachnoknight
Must have missed this thread, but awesome setup Poec! All the matching bins pleased my OCD haha

If I'm ever in, FL I'm stopping by to oogle over all the pretty spiders in person!!! :) haha

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk

Emotionlessness

Arachnosquire
How long does it take you to change the water dishes, feed and do cage maintenance? Do you do it all on the one day or over several days?

Exoskeleton Invertebrates

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
As some of you may know, there's a Canadian loose in our country this winter. An impressive gentlemen with a wealth of knowledge on a number of topics, including spiders, known to the authorities as Stanley Schultz. Here he is at a Florida eating establishment, in the company of yours truly:

View attachment 124712

Some pics Stan took of my spider room (south end, middle, and north end):

View attachment 124713
View attachment 124715
View attachment 124714

A thoroughly entertaining weekend, and I hope to be a regular stop on Stan's annual migrations south.
Hi Rick! Nice very nice indeed. I'm sure both of you had quite a conversation, would have loved to visit with you guys and check out your 8 legged creatures.

-J