Jumping spider gave me babies....

JeromeTabuzo

Arachnobaron
Hello guys , i didnt know that one of my jumping spiders made an egg sac and hatched and now i can see 5 babies jumping on the container , should i transfer them to individual containers?

Spepper

Arachnodemon
From what I know, yes, unless you want them to cannibalize. :)

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Congrats on the babies! They do like to cannibalize, so giving them their own enclosure is best unless you don't mind losing a couple ;) Letting them cannibalize though means you'll end up with the strongest individuals. It's all personal preference

JeromeTabuzo

Arachnobaron
Thnx guys , another problem is that i cant seem to separate them , they keep going into their mother's web home :( , is this ok to leave them for awhile?

z32upgrader

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I just checked on my jumper P. johnsoni and she just laid a sac of orange eggs. How long until the hatch?

Last edited:

JeromeTabuzo

Arachnobaron
I just checked on my jumper P. johnsoni and she just laid a sac of orange eggs. How long until the hatch?
2-3 months , mine hatched which i didnt even know lol. but i have one which i waited for 2 months and it hatched , i had 5 babies and i released them.

JeromeTabuzo

Arachnobaron
flightless fruit flies? :)
looks like too big :( , pinhead crickets are even a little bigger than them lol. oh and also i placed them in an open air container and placed petroleum jelly on the sides , and now a few of them were lost , any ideas what happened?

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Springtails could be another food option. Or you could injure the flightless fruit fly and try feeding that to them.

Some still could have escaped somehow. They seem to be great escape artists. Or somebody decided they were hungry

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
looks like too big :( , pinhead crickets are even a little bigger than them lol. oh and also i placed them in an open air container and placed petroleum jelly on the sides , and now a few of them were lost , any ideas what happened?
you try anyways? iv feen tiny T's take on bigger mamals. i had a wold spider who used to steal my mealworms -.- lol

Smokehound714

Arachnoking
I would suggest keeping a few, then releasing the rest. jumper babies can be a pain to raise, but ive had great success feeding them aphids and termites.

I would grow a plant called "Sow-thistle" which is a natural magnet for aphids, and a single plant can host thousands of them. Dunno how common sonchus (sow-thistle) is in the philippines, though.

they WILL eat fresh-killed prey, i catch my jumpers trying to eat old dead prey i forgot to remove all the time.

JeromeTabuzo

Arachnobaron
I would suggest keeping a few, then releasing the rest. jumper babies can be a pain to raise, but ive had great success feeding them aphids and termites.

I would grow a plant called "Sow-thistle" which is a natural magnet for aphids, and a single plant can host thousands of them. Dunno how common sonchus (sow-thistle) is in the philippines, though.

they WILL eat fresh-killed prey, i catch my jumpers trying to eat old dead prey i forgot to remove all the time.
will they accept spring tails? i have a few in my cricket bin.

z32upgrader

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
So my jumper sac hatched a couple weeks ago and I put them outside with momma to disperse but they're not leaving the sac and mom took off. They're very small but appear fully formed. What should I do with them? It's been very windy and cool at night so I took them back into the house. Are they even ready to venture out?
View attachment 125899

z32upgrader

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
So I took a couple hours to pick through the sac and I extracted 30 tiny P. johnsoni slings. They're so tiny, they make sweet ants look big.
View attachment 125931
Yes those ridges its walking on are the ridges of my fingerprint.

Salticstance

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Jumper spiderlings

The spiderlings will remain 1st instars for a couple of weeks. When they are second instars, they will remain in the sac for a couple more weeks before venturing out. When they begin to leave the sac on their own is when you should release them. Definately not while they are first instars though. They are not cannibalistic when they are together in the sac. It isn't until they begin to venture out in search of food when they may take out a sibling.

Are you sure that they are P. johnsoni spiderlings? You have lots of cool Phidippus species in AZ.

Last edited:

z32upgrader

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
The spiderlings will remain 1st instars for a couple of weeks. When they are second instars, they will remain in the sac for a couple more weeks before venturing out. When they begin to leave the sac on their own is when you should release them. Definately not while they are first instars though. They are not cannibalistic when they are together in the sac. It isn't until they begin to venture out in search of food when they may take out a sibling.

Are you sure that they are P. johnsoni spiderlings? You have lots of cool Phidippus species in AZ.
I'm not totally sure that they are P. johnsoni slings, but here's a thread I posted in with pictures of momma:
http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?259064-Needs-Identification.&p=2252743#post2252743
The slings are all chilling in their new communal enclosure and aren't doing much of anything. They're all clustered in little groups in the corners and have ignored the fruit flies I've offered. Now I know why. Thanks Salticstance for replying when no one else would.