Something very different and unique from Peru

josh_r

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I just got this species today. It very well may be a new species or even a new genus. Whatever it is, they are VERY VERY nice and VERY unique! You really have to see them in person to understand how unique they are. These pictures are of 3 different spiders. What do you guys think??

Josh

fyic

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
wOw .......very nice looking T you have there........can you tell us more about it? or anything?

love the lil red wings lol

korg

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
All females? Either way those red patches on the abdomen are fantastic. Thanks for sharing!

Silberrücken

Arachnoangel
Josh, beautiful and amazing finds! I would love to see these in the hobby. I too would like to learn any more info you have about them.

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Wow, very pretty T. Is that as large as they get? I'm with Silberrücken, I would love to see these in the hobby too!

josh_r

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Wow, very pretty T. Is that as large as they get? I'm with Silberrücken, I would love to see these in the hobby too!
My friend and I are working on a project that will allow us to legally export this species as well as many many other nice species out of Peru. We just need support from the hobbyists to make it happen! There are so many amazing species down here that are NOT represented in the hobby. If anyone is truly interested in seeing these come into the hobby, shoot me a PM for more info on our project and what is going on.

And thank you guys! As for more info on this species, They come from the andes region of Peru at elevations of around 4000 meters. They are not a very large species, around 5 to 6 centimeters in legspan. They are undescribed as far as we know and they could even be a new genus. I will be doing a bit more work with this species to learn more about it in the wild and in captivity, so hopefully I will have more to share in the near future. Oh, yes, all 3 are females.

Josh

Hanska

Arachnobaron
Too bad it'll take ages to get them to the european hobby. I'd take one in a heartbeat.
One of the prettiest Ts I've ever seem. Thanks for sharing this and your other findings.

kean

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
wow.. i love the black color on that specimen then accented with a winglike structure on the abdomen.. those are very nice.. good luck on your project! hope to see them soon in the hobby! :)

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
They come from the andes region of Peru at elevations of around 4000 meters.
That's pretty high, and could be an issue in captivity. What are the temps where they live? I doubt they can take much heat.

josh_r

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
That's pretty high, and could be an issue in captivity. What are the temps where they live? I doubt they can take much heat.
That is pretty high, but they are not only found at the altitude. They are found at lower altitudes as well... As long as the habitat is right, they are there. And you would be surprised at how mild the temperatures are at those altitudes here. There are places at 2500 and 3000 meters in elevation that don't get snow or freezing temperatures in the winter due to the influence of the jungle coming up over the mountains. It is very mild. This species will not tolerate hot conditions, but they can tolerate the typical temps of any keepers invert room. In order to breed them however, you would have to cycle them. They will be very similar to Aphonopelma behlei in husbandry :)

MarkmD

Arachnoprince
They are very cool looking T's (wouldn't mind one) lol.

Tomoran

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
What a little beauty; I would certainly love to see this enter the hobby.

SeanSYW

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Really nice lookin Ts! Would mind having one of those.

josh_r

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I can already tell this species is going to be very easy to keep and is going to be a very very cool species to keep! They are cute, love to dig and burrow, are not picky, eat very well, non aggressive.. just really cool!!!

I found out the true elevation these came from as well. 2200 to 2500 meters in elevation.. That puts this species in a climate zone that is very mild. I feel this species will be a good one to breed.

josh

Micrathena

Arachnoknight
I can already tell this species is going to be very easy to keep and is going to be a very very cool species to keep! They are cute, love to dig and burrow, are not picky, eat very well, non aggressive.. just really cool!!!

josh
Amazing T! This could be the Next Big One!

pocock1899

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
What kind of documentation do you need to export from Peru? I was under the impression that they were pretty stingy with granting exports of any live animals, regardless of species and protection level. I see lots of S. American imports, but live stuff from Peru is definitely an uncommon occurrence.