I Adopted My First Tarantula

Citrine

Arachnopeon
After a few years of looking, reading care sheets, and really doing some research, I finally adopted a tarantula. I just fell in love with the pretty little b. vagans. When I got her she was in a little critter keeper that had really dry and dirty substrate, so I set up a terrarium using an old 5 gallon fish tank that's been sitting in my closet for a while. She seems much more active now that she has some walking room and a lot of substrate to dig in.

Here are some pictures! One before I moved her and a cruddy night shot of her in her new home. What do you think? Isn't she pretty?

Attachments

Torrid

Arachnopeon
Wow, beautiful spider! B. vagans sure are stunners. Good to hear you did your research, she'll do great with you. :)

Citrine

Arachnopeon
It was about three years of on and off research on many species, but mostly pertaining to Brachypelma.
And thank you. I really like how her legs are pitch black and then seem to lighten up gradually towards her feet. C:

Citrine

Arachnopeon
Thanks! She's got the 'tude though. She made this wonderful cave under the driftwood, but in the process burried her water dish... And she won't let me retrieve it to clean it and set it on the other side of the enclosure! As soon as she feels a disturbance she rushes out of her cave and sticks her legs out as if to say, "Back off! My pile of soggy substrate, not yours!" Lol

Sent from my KFJWA using Tapatalk

Oreo

Arachnocookie
Congrats! How do you know the sex? Also it looks like a sub-adult T.

Ghost Dragon

Arachnopeon
Wow, beautiful spider! B. vagans sure are stunners. Good to hear you did your research, she'll do great with you. :)
Agreed, it's always heartening to see someone new to the hobby having done their research BEFORE getting their first T. Good job, and a great starter T, I've had a couple, and they are pretty active & easy to take care of.

She's gorgeous. :)

Welcome to the obsession. LOL

Formerphobe

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Congrats on your new addition! Brachys are my favorite genus. What is her legspan? IME, hobby vagans don't get the full black carapace until they hit adult size. She looks like a good sized girl.

Citrine

Arachnopeon
Oreo, she's female as far as I've seen. I can take a picture for extra verification, but I'm 99% sure she's female.

Ghost Dragon, thank you! And yes, it seems to be an obsession. Lol I'm already trying to figure out how to take care of more. They're all just so neat and those color varieties...

Formerphobe, how would you get an accurate measurement on an T safely? I could estimate though. It'd be nice to have it accurate though.

Wildenthusiast

Arachnosquire
Formerphobe, how would you get an accurate measurement on an T safely? I could estimate though. It'd be nice to have it accurate though.

I'm pretty sure most of us very estimates to the best of our ability. I'm sure there are a few that might use a rule to check, but for the most part, find a tape measure or ruler... study the increments... and take a good guess. I'm sure you'll be pretty close. ;)

Citrine

Arachnopeon
Then I'd have to say she's about 5 inches across. She's larger than my hand that measures about 3inches across, so five seems about right.

Formerphobe

Arachnoking
Old Timer
There is a lot of guesstimation involved with spider measurement. If you can catch her in a stretched out position, try to get a measurement from one first leg to the alternate fourth leg. Some people will let them walk out over a ruler or graph paper and take a picture. Or, take a picture with something measurable beside her, like a Sharpie or a dollar bill.

Citrine

Arachnopeon
Congrats! How do you know the sex? Also it looks like a sub-adult T.
I didn't slow down and read this correctly. How do I know? I spent a lot of my time examining pictures of males and females and comparing them regularly. It'd be easier if I had a molt since there would be that flap, but what I'm going on here is the space with a little bit of a lip on it and the distance between the bottom booklungs. She was advertised as female as well, and a year old or so, but surprises happen. I apologize if my explanation sounds stupid, but I'm only new to this. Lol Think I should try to get a picture just in case?

Last edited:

Citrine

Arachnopeon
I had left for a week out of state, leaving my T in the care of my brother and father.
I returned to find the little door to drop food in open and no tarantula to be found. I feel horribly guilty for not stressing enough to my family that if you don't hear a click, the door is not locked. And now she could be anywhere... Including the belly of a cat or dog.
It's warm in here as my dad rarely runs the AC, and I have the blinds closed. I'm hoping either she comes out of her hiding place alive and well, or I find her alive and well. However, seeing as it has been a week and no one knows when she went missing or if the left my door open for any period of time, the possibility of her being well or alive seems slim...
Be nice, okay? I know I messed up. I'll keep updates. How long should I search before it's just a lost cause? I'm horribly heart broken.

CrystalRose

Arachnopeon
I'm sorry to hear she escaped :(. I don't have any experience with lost T's but I would probably look in dark corners,In shoes,basically anywhere she might crawl inside to feel safe and secure. I hope you're able to find her.

Citrine

Arachnopeon
Thank you. I already removed everything from my closet, carefully inspecting my shoes and any boxes in there, under the bed, my dresser, all of my laundry and laundry hamper... I'm thinking she may have crawled out and most likely fell and became injured and then my cat or dog decided she looked good enough to eat. But I can't find a trace of her anywhere. Nothing. It's like she just vanished. I've started my search around the house. I really hope I can find her. He'll, even if she were to greet my very upset searching hands with a bite right now I'd be thrilled.

CrystalRose

Arachnopeon
I understand how that is. One of my snakes got out on me once and I ripped the house apart looking for her. Couple days later she showed up under my couch. The whole time she was out I was worried one of the dogs or cats got to her too. She was only a hatchling at the time. I'm trying to think of where else you could look. If she got out of your room into the rest of the house it might be harder to find her. If there's a chance she did I would get a flashlight and maybe look under the furniture,behind the TV etc.

Citrine

Arachnopeon
Yeah, my dad just got home. He said he didn't notice she had escaped and that my door has been open often. We're going through everything now. I hope she's alright. I really, really do.