rose hair tarantula

colorkiller

Arachnopeon
is the rose hair tarantula very fast? i know it's docile, 5"-6", and for beginers, but is it a quick specimen? also, if you own one, do you have any tips or recommendations to me?i bought my first tarantula today and it's a rose hair.

karen_in_aspen

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
colorkiller said:
...also, if you own one, do you have any tips or recommendations to me? i bought my first tarantula today and it's a rose hair.
Well, allow me to be the first one to WELCOME you to the boards, and wish you the best of luck with your new T -- they are very cool "pets"; I love mine! I only have one, a Grammastola rosea, like you have. She is very mellow and doesn't jump or run when I go into her cage. I knew very little when I got her, but had at least done some reading and website checking... since I am pretty new, I'll just tell you where I found some great advice/info for Tarantula Care: Right here -(duh) :rolleyes: but I mean some members have their OWN cool sites, webpages, etc.
Also, use the "search" feature, and look in the archives for info...many basic Q's have all been posted before, by somebody else, so there is already tons of info.
Arachnopets- I got a great "care sheet" for T's off here -- at
www.arachnopets.com/tarantulas/tcs.htm
The American Tarantula Society at www.atshq.org
*good "caresheet", info, and books, manuals for sale
The International Society for Arachnology
Stan Schultz's web site @ www.acsucalgary.ca
British Tarantula Society [i THINK that's the name...it's easy to find]
** I strongly recommend "The Tarantula Keeper's Guide" ..plus a few others, or, why not check out the "Book Review" forum here?
I hope this helps a little-- and, again-- welcome aboard! :) --kk

Mad Hatter

Arachnofriend
Old Timer
I have two G. roseas. Alice is very docile and I can handle her whenever I want to, but Sam is a wicked little T and I have not yet been able to handle her. I guess behavior really depends on the T, but 9,999 rose hair Ts out of 10,000 are supposed to make excellent hand-pets. I suppose Sam is the 1 in 10,000 that is not inclined to be cooperative.

Jeri

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
It depends on what you mean by fast. When compared to most arboreals, and even many other terrestrials, no, they're not. But it also depends on the circumstances. Roses are the oddballs of the T world. They are not very predictable. They will fast for months at a time for no good reason. Just when you're expecting them to flip over for a molt, they will start eating again. I have three roses, and their speed changes all the time. They are usually very slow, until they decide they've seen something good to eat. Then you'll be amazed at how fast they can be. Then again, that can also change. My second rose started out as a blur of lightning when it came to feeding time. Even other T keepers were suprised at how fast she was. Now when it's time to eat, she slowly stalks her crickets, and adds a little speed only on the strike. And that is even a lot slower than she used to be. My third rose has proven herself to be fast enough to snatch a housefly out of the air, and my first rose who completely lived up to the name "pet rock" has now decided that she wants to be an eating machine. They are nothing if not unpredictable.

Jeri

MysticKigh

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
tymeshadow said:
I have two G. roseas. Alice is very docile and I can handle her whenever I want to, but Sam is a wicked little T and I have not yet been able to handle her. I guess behavior really depends on the T, but 9,999 rose hair Ts out of 10,000 are supposed to make excellent hand-pets. I suppose Sam is the 1 in 10,000 that is not inclined to be cooperative.
Hmm, make that 9,998. My female is an unholy terror... may as well play with one of those fiesty little usambara slings of Immortal_Sin's {D

Last edited:

krtrman

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
there is a sticky here dealing with the proper care of G. rosea. i would also like to point out the search function and the importance of homework before purchasing a pet.