Gooty Price-Fair?

CreepyCrawlies

Arachnosquire
My local pet shop has a P.Metallica sling (1") for $150.(It's the same place I've bought my other T's, and their prices have been quite fair). For a bit of reassurance, does this sound like an alright buy to you guys/gals? I want one so bad, especially after seeing the owners sub-adult P.Metallica. They're so awesome!

loganhopeless

Arachnosquire
I'd say that's a fair price especially since you can see it first hand, I mean you'd pay about the same with the T and shipping.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

telepatella

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
After all is said and done, I say it's a fair price right now. It might be cheaper/more expensive in a week, month or year. If the store offers you service and support then that's all the more value. Same with the shipping you won't be paying for. Ask them questions, take a look the market and do your homework. Plus, I know guys who can sex a baby spiders with a loupe.

freedumbdclxvi

Arachnoprince
Just an fyi, placing a post with a seller name, price and species is considered a nono in the forum outside the classifieds.

SeanSYW

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I wouldn't say that's the best price around, but I would suggest that you wait until you have a little more experience with faster Ts before getting a pokie. They're faster than you could imagine. There's no rush get the GBB first, if you're looking for color.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Metallica continues to come down in price (the common name 'Gooty' really sounds dumb, I wish people wouldn't use it). More people have female's maturing, more slings being hatched out, supply is starting to catch up with demand. A big motivation is that people want to get their money back by producing slings. Works that way with any CBB introduction: the longer you wait, the cheaper it gets. The guys in the early stages take the big risks and get the big payoffs. Eventually the species gets to where the average person can afford them. At some point prices level off.

With any T, shop around and compare. 'Fair' is relative. It's your money. YOU decide what is 'fair' and what fits your budget. How bad do you want it? The more you get at a time, the more leverage you have, and the better unit prices you can negotiate. Buying one spider at a time and paying overnight shipping is the most expensive way to do it. Plus you end up with a lot of unmatched males maturing.

LordWaffle

Arachnobaron
Like Poec said, in the end it's worth what you're willing to pay. If you think that price is good for you then go for it. I really want a female B smithi, it's on the top of my to get list. I have a certain set of requirements that have kept me from doing it thusfar. I have a fairly specific size and price range I'm willing to do, and I'm patient enough to wait until one pops up. That's because I have decided what one is worth monetarily to me. In my mind, there aren't many situations where you can overpay for a T so long as you find it fair and are happy with your purchase.

jthorntonwillis

Arachnosquire
Re

Sounds fair to me....I got my Little girl(YAY) as a very small spiderling for $75 and was thinking I was crazy.She is grown up n:biggrin:eek:w,and the star of my (small) collection.She is always out,and not the least bit shy.I feel like I won the lottery!! :biggrin::biggrin:

---------- Post added 03-11-2014 at 01:13 PM ----------

+1 on the stupid "Gooty" moniker....Thanks Poec,For saying what we all feel
Metallica continues to come down in price (the common name 'Gooty' really sounds dumb, I wish people wouldn't use it). More people have female's maturing, more slings being hatched out, supply is starting to catch up with demand. A big motivation is that people want to get their money back by producing slings. Works that way with any CBB introduction: the longer you wait, the cheaper it gets. The guys in the early stages take the big risks and get the big payoffs. Eventually the species gets to where the average person can afford them. At some point prices level off.

With any T, shop around and compare. 'Fair' is relative. It's your money. YOU decide what is 'fair' and what fits your budget. How bad do you want it? The more you get at a time, the more leverage you have, and the better unit prices you can negotiate. Buying one spider at a time and paying overnight shipping is the most expensive way to do it. Plus you end up with a lot of unmatched males maturing.

korg

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
That price is definitely at the high end of normal, though "fair" is a different question. I think the price on metallica is kept artificially high by lack of real price competition between the relatively few major dealers in the US. Those dealers then sell to places like your pet store, which have to charge more even at wholesale prices.

cold blood

Staff member
I don't mind them being called "gooty", its a direct indicator of its original discovery location. While I prefer scientific names generally, this is one of the few surnames that really speak to the spiders originations, which I find significant and not an annoyance at all. Just my opinion though, nothing more :)

Korg, they are not hard to find, it seems like most dealers have them on hand pretty regularly. Prices are set based on what people are WILLING to pay as well as supply and demand. Right now I believe supply actually meets demand. And as long as there are still many ready and willing to pay high prices, dealers are going to take advantage and charge accordingly.

Last edited:

korg

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Korg, they are not hard to find, it seems like most dealers have them on hand pretty regularly. Prices are set based on what people are WILLING to pay as well as supply and demand. Right now I believe supply actually meets demand. And as long as there are still many ready and willing to pay high prices, dealers are going to take advantage and charge accordingly.
Oh yes, I definitely understand how supply and demand are supposed to shape the market. I'm suggesting that major dealers might collaborate to defy natural market forces and ensure that the prices stay high.

litebritedeath

Arachnopeon
Oh yes, I definitely understand how supply and demand are supposed to shape the market. I'm suggesting that major dealers might collaborate to defy natural market forces and ensure that the prices stay high.
I do not think there is a conspiracy to keep P. Metallica prices high. I've seen them commonly range from $100 to $150 for slings everywhere In the pet trade. Supply and demand will always be a factor in any business. I received my P. Metallica for $150 just today in fact and yes I could have bought it cheaper elsewhere but I trust my dealer and do not mind paying "more" for something that is rare in the hobby or new. If you breed or do breeding loans in the future the T will pay for itself and more.

korg

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I do not think there is a conspiracy to keep P. Metallica prices high. I've seen them commonly range from $100 to $150 for slings everywhere In the pet trade. Supply and demand will always be a factor in any business. I received my P. Metallica for $150 just today in fact and yes I could have bought it cheaper elsewhere but I trust my dealer and do not mind paying "more" for something that is rare in the hobby or new. If you breed or do breeding loans in the future the T will pay for itself and more.
P. metallica is neither new nor rare in the hobby... I'm sure the demand is high but that doesn't mean the price isn't also being artificially inflated. In any case, I'm not saying I have some definitive proof of this. Just something to consider given the interconnected and non-transparent nature of pricing by major dealers. Businesses will do what makes them the most money.

cold blood

Staff member
P. metallica is neither new nor rare in the hobby... I'm sure the demand is high but that doesn't mean the price isn't also being artificially inflated. In any case, I'm not saying I have some definitive proof of this. Just something to consider given the interconnected and non-transparent nature of pricing by major dealers. Businesses will do what makes them the most money.
haha, I do agree, but I don't think its a dealer pricing collaboration as much as the consumer's willingness to spend for such a beautiful species that by many is still viewed as rarer in the hobby than they actually are. Fact is, as long as they continue to sell well at current prices, there is no reason for dealers to drop the prices.
:)

CreepyCrawlies

Arachnosquire
I wouldn't say that's the best price around, but I would suggest that you wait until you have a little more experience with faster Ts before getting a pokie. They're faster than you could imagine. There's no rush get the GBB first, if you're looking for color.
I respect your opinion on newbs getting old worlds like P.Metallica, but you have to bear in mind I grew up on a farm in Missouri where catching brown recluses and cottonmouths was a fairly regular occurrence. I've learned to have a a lot more respect for animals than most other people who are first getting into the hobby :)

freedumbdclxvi

Arachnoprince
Personally, saying "Gooty" sounds dumb equates to saying Carlsbad Green, Borneo Black or Singapore Blue sound dumb. It's a location - not a fun nickname.

---------- Post added 03-11-2014 at 04:56 PM ----------

I respect your opinion on newbs getting old worlds like P.Metallica, but you have to bear in mind I grew up on a farm in Missouri where catching brown recluses and cottonmouths was a fairly regular occurrence. I've learned to have a a lot more respect for animals than most other people who are first getting into the hobby :)
Poecis are quite a bit more agile and limber than Loxosceles, and a different type of animal altogether than a cottonmouth. You can't equate cqtching a venomous animal with long term husbandry. I also grew up in Missouri catching Loxosceles and Latrodectus. Speed and agility wise they don't compare to Poecis.