New Silicon?

Kat Fenix

Arachnosquire
so, I recently heard that GE changed their Silicon II. And I've noticed that the new stuff I have used is complete crap! Comes right off plastic that the old stuff would stay on till the end of its days. Coming off glass with ease. It's useless now! Hot glue is working better than this.

I'm going to be designing and making some backdrops for vertical 5 and 10 gallons. But I can't trust this stuff anymore, I don't want a backdrop or something to come loose and kill my T. I also don't want to use hot glue since it's harder to work with on large surfaces.

Anyone know of some good silicon that is tarantula, and reptile, safe that I could find online or in a hardware store? Would prefer clear, but anything works because I can just cover it with coconut husk if I want. Links to their images or to where I can buy them are preferred. I'm a visual person and images of the product are a lot better than the name.

Thanks!

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
In my readings I THINK I've read alternatives to GE's products- cant recall what they were.

What's the specific name and product number of this one AND can you post a pic? I assume it's black out of the tube right?

SamuraiSid

Arachnodemon
You want any product that is 100% silicone and does not contain anti-mold/mildew additives.

Weathershield is great, and I find it in bulk at Home Hardware for $2 a tube

DAP 100% silicone is another one I have used. Very easy to find in brown or black.

JZC

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
The ACE hardware generic brand is pretty good. I used it in my dart frog tank.

GSA8

Arachnopeon
The most important thing to remember is 100% silicone, NO additives for anti-mold/mildew. That means no silicone for kitchen/bathroom, as it is labelled on the tube.

MikeInNC

Arachnopeon
Loctite has a silicone product which is labeled as "aquarium safe". I see no mention of anti-mold/mildew on the packaging or tube. I'm starting a new enclosure build (first time attempt at this). I'll be using the traditional acrylic welding product (I forget the name) but will use the silicone as an additional bonding agent as I'm having trouble with non-100% perfect acrylic sheets.

-Mike

reclusiveone

Arachnopeon
I go to EMIsupply.com and get the food grade silicone. I watched several youtube tutorials from Talon4wd's enclosure creations and this is what he uses. The shipping can be kind of high so I ordered a bunch for future projects to get more bang for my buck. I have used this in all of my enclosures and have not had any problems and it does not have any mold inhibitors in it which is good. When I use it I give it 2-3 weeks to dry out and let the fumes go away then they are good to go. Here are some of mine I've worked on.

20140325_143003[1].jpg 20140223_150146[1].jpg 20140303_025820[1].jpg

just1moreT

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Is that a little devil coming out of the back drop or am I seeing things like viper says looking good

Kat Fenix

Arachnosquire
Wow! That looks awesome! I really hope I can make mine look that good!
I got some of the DAP 100% since my funds are kind of low right now.

reclusiveone

Arachnopeon
Thank you!! Top one is avic versicolor, middle is redknee, and bottom one is GBB!

---------- Post added 04-01-2014 at 01:21 AM ----------

I carved a little skeleton head out of styrofoam

---------- Post added 04-01-2014 at 01:25 AM ----------

Thank you!! I bet yours will look fine its not that bad just have to have the right stuff. I use Styrofoam and great stuff foam to form backdrops and all other formations. Like a shelf or ramped up part around the wooden hide. Just cover it all with the silicone and put coco fiber on top to stick.