Mantis id

danfekar

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hello

I'm relatively new to mantis and this specimen I bought today will be my introduction to the order.

I was told this was an "flower-mantis", but no scientific name was given.

Any chance of an id? I've been wondering if it might be a nymph of Pseudocreobotra ocellata, but again: I'm new to this.

What do you guys think? It has a bodylength of approximately 1,5 cm.

Any help appreciated.

Regards
Dan J

Attachments

Last edited:

cichlidsman

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i did't even know that there were different kinds. im use to only seeing one kind.

danfekar

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
ChokeOnSmoke said:
I would guess Pseudocreobroter wahlberghi but I am far from an expert
Yep, I guess you might be right. This was suggested at the forums at mantiskingdom too. It might be an ocellata, but wahlbergii is apparently more common in the trade.

Regards
Dan J

avmaviator

Arachnosquire
Old Timer

These are called "Orchid Mantis" but I don't know the scientific spelling. Excellent picture.
You should put it in front of a dark background and light it from the top, it will give awesome contrast.

Arno

RazorRipley

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
that is a psuedocreobotra whalbergi, or #9 as most people call them. I love em, but they have a very very short life span.

Jesse607

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
avmaviator said:
These are called "Orchid Mantis" but I don't know the scientific spelling. Arno
Actually Hymenopus coronatus is the scientific name of the "orchid mantis", which is not pictured. The common names of the mantid pictured are "spiny flower mantid", "flower mantid", and "#9 mantid".

luther

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I too know that as the spiny flower mantid. Mine has just molted into it's winged adult form, with those cool "hand painted" eye markings on the wing cases. Lovely. Nice photo too.

Scary

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I haven't got a clue what it is (apart from an orchid mantis) but he/she is Gorgeous with a capital G!

Navaros

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
It is NOT an orchid mantis as has been said before. It is a pseudocreobotra wahlbergii/ocellata. Orchid mantids are Hymenopus coronotus.

luther

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Pseudocreobacter whalbergi is sometimes known as the Tanzanian Target Mantis. Here's a pic of my adult female:

Last edited: