Enclosure preference question

psaw

Arachnopeon
Hi all.

I just got my first P. Regalis and she's awesome. (5" or so female). I'm conflicted as to whether I should put up a cork bark backdrop, or not. Part of me thinks it's cool as it helps it look more "forest-y", but the other side wants to leave it off as to be able to see it from all sides. What do you guys prefer? -- or are there other advantages/disadvantages to either based on your experience?

I'm going to have a cork bark hide (tube) and I've got another curved piece of cork bark that I could mount up against the side or back wall to give it some vertical climbing space, as well as a place to hide if it wanted to there. I'm hoping that your opinions can sway me one way or the other based on personal experience. :)

Thanks!!

fyic

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I think it's realy up to you ....all about preference

I have some with and some without.....for me they seem to like with.......I have one that likes to hang out on it all day lol but then again I think that one is all mixed up cuz it hangs out in the day and hides at nite lol

what size setup are you using? tank size and shape might make a dif too

you got some photos you can post?

psaw

Arachnopeon
If I didn't do the background I was thinking of something like this. Obviously with substrate and if put some green on to do it looks better. The one in the back is curved too so she could hide behind it.
Or if cover the whole back with a sheet.
I think the background might ultimately look better.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

CreepyCrawlies

Arachnosquire
If I didn't do the background I was thinking of something like this. Obviously with substrate and if put some green on to do it looks better. The one in the back is curved too so she could hide behind it.
Or if cover the whole back with a sheet.
I think the background might ultimately look better.

I personally like the backgrounds, and will be adding them to my arboreal tanks in the future. They're pretty popular with slot of the big names like robc. He uses them in a lot of his setups

fyic

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
now is that a 10gal or 5gal or 2.5gal

I my self would say use a background.......I think they look better .......still about preference.....what are you thinking of using?

I'm using 5gal tanks and I got some of this and was able to cut it up and use on 4 tanks and one 2.5gal tank http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001B598JC/ref=twister_B005HSG8W4

psaw

Arachnopeon
It's a 10 gallon

SuzukiSwift

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Back drops look pretty great, I have a cork bark back drop for my regalis also. Be aware that yours (like mine does lol) may hide behind the backdrop a lot at first, but later after settling in sat out the front a lot more. Make sure to provide plenty of hiding places, this will make her feel safe. If she doesn't have anywhere to retreat to then every time opening the door will be dangerous

Here's a pic of my regalis enclosure

IMG_1723.JPG

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
+1. That's how I do my cages. I have cork slabs, but I can see from all sides.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Back drops look pretty great, I have a cork bark back drop for my regalis also. Be aware that yours (like mine does lol) may hide behind the backdrop a lot at first, but later after settling in sat out the front a lot more. Make sure to provide plenty of hiding places, this will make her feel safe. If she doesn't have anywhere to retreat to then every time opening the door will be dangerous

Here's a pic of my regalis enclosure

View attachment 125180
Zuk are those real plants, looks like it, Nice setup!

psaw

Arachnopeon
One more question. If I'm drilling holes for ventilation how many do I need for proper ventilation? I'm in Denver and it's super dry. I have 3 t's in critter keepers and I literally have to fill their water dish (bottle cap size) every day. I shouldn't have a problem keeping this one humid enough, but what is "proper" ventilation?

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
One more question. If I'm drilling holes for ventilation how many do I need for proper ventilation? I'm in Denver and it's super dry. I have 3 t's in critter keepers and I literally have to fill their water dish (bottle cap size) every day. I shouldn't have a problem keeping this one humid enough, but what is "proper" ventilation?

Well for Ts in KK, I haven't had to drill holes into the containers. There's no science to it really. It depends on the size of the container primarily. In short, you don't want the inside smelling musty. There's a fine line between smelling the scent of moist cocofiber and smelling something that will develop mold, and then likely mold mites.

Even if something is bone dry, a cricket bolus will mold if the ventilation isn't good enough. It's often trial and error, paying close attention to details like scent, spot cleaning etc

Oreo

Arachnocookie
Well for Ts in KK, I haven't had to drill holes into the containers. There's no science to it really. It depends on the size of the container primarily. In short, you don't want the inside smelling musty. There's a fine line between smelling the scent of moist cocofiber and smelling something that will develop mold, and then likely mold mites.

Even if something is bone dry, a cricket bolus will mold if the ventilation isn't good enough. It's often trial and error, paying close attention to details like scent, spot cleaning etc
Agree...haven't seen mold from a bolus in bone dry conditions though.

SuzukiSwift

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Zuk are those real plants, looks like it, Nice setup!
Thanks! (for the nifty nickname too viper haha) No they are plastic but they look real, real plants cause too many issues imo. The enclosure is pretty large for her but I got her a large enough size so that I wouldn't have to rehouse ever

---------- Post added 03-20-2014 at 08:42 PM ----------

KKs have many holes so the humidity escapes more easily, kind of just use 'feeling' when making the holes, although keep in mind it's better to have too much ventilation than not enough so don't skimp =)

psaw

Arachnopeon
Ok. Thanks everyone!

---------- Post added 03-20-2014 at 09:03 AM ----------

Opted for the background

SuzukiSwift

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Looks awesome! Although you may want to put more foliage in there so she has more to hide behind. You may also want to angle the hide further back, it being so close to the door may cause you unwanted issues in the future lol