Leaving for a week...

Buggidy

Arachnopeon
Hey guys, I'm leaving for about a week for spring break. I've got four T's (G. rosea {sub-adult}, B. boehmei {juvi}, G. pulchripes {sling}, and an A. versicolor {sling}).

I'm not too concerned with the terrestrials, I think they'll all be fine without me for a week, but I'm a little nervous about the A. versicolor. I just got it a few weeks ago, and have been giving it light mists daily. Before I leave, should I just give a heavy misting to last through the week? Or should I try to find someone that wouldn't mind taking it for a week and misting it daily?

Thanks

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Make sure they are fat with from eating. Don't leave food in there IMO. Without seeing your setup or the Ts can't definitively make a rec on the versi, I'm inclined to say No on heavy misting. I never did that
with mine.

Buggidy

Arachnopeon
Here's a pic of the setup:

IMG_2504.jpg IMG_2456.jpg

Hopefully that helps. Thanks for the suggestions!

Kevin Donahue

Arachnopeon
You would be better off having someone watch it for you. Slings are delicate and require a decent amount of humidity.

MarkmD

Arachnoprince
I think they will be fine, but as said make sure they have fed/watered before leaving.

Wildenthusiast

Arachnosquire
While sometimes it's best to have someone watch over them, I don't think that's absolutely necessary. As mentioned, make sure they have eaten before you head out. As for the A. versicolor, I have two suggestions: While your setup looks good, that particular species needs cross ventilation. I actually provide this for all my slings,as do many others here. Would be a good idea to remove the sling long enough to put about eight small holes in the deli cup just above substrate level. This will cause cool air to flow in, and warm air to be exhausted through the top. Almost like putting a tiny fan in the enclosure. Be sure it's water bowl is completely My second suggestion would be to make sure the water bowl is totally full, and place a few drops on the fake plant. I wouldn't wet the sub. Just a light sprinkling on the furnishings to provide some ambient humidity.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Here's a pic of the setup:

Hopefully that helps. Thanks for the suggestions!

Oh he looks fat enough for a week, see if it will eat another cricket before you leave. I'd probably give 2 caps of water.

Buggidy

Arachnopeon
Thanks for the replies!

He's a pretty good eater so I hopefully won't have any problems feeding him before I leave. I poked a ring of circles above the substrate and also a few lines of holes coming down from the top of the container. I'll post some more pics later today when I have a chance and see what you guys think.

Thanks!

Buggidy

Arachnopeon
All right, I fed the little guy a cricket last night so he should be good food-wise while I'm gone. I updated his enclosure a bit. Put lines of holes down the sides from top to bottom, and also another ring of holes down below a bit above the substrate. Put two caps of water in there and over flowed them a little to damped the substrate. Also put some moss in there so he's got a bit more to web from.

On a side note, I assume that when I buy moss from a reptile shop that's sealed in a bag that it doesn't have nasty parasites or pesticides in it. Is that an okay assumption? I'm just curious because when I opened it up, it had dirt and twigs in it and smelled like... Well, dirty moss haha. I just want to make sure that the stuff I put in there is okay for my versi.

Also, I've got good news and bad news. Good news is, my G. pulchripes sling finally molted! Bad news is, it isn't accepting food and I won't have another chance to offer food for another week til I'm back from vacation. Everything looks bigger on the sling EXCEPT it's abdomen. It's not shriveled but it's smaller. I loaded up a big capful of water and am hoping that that will suffice until I can get back.

Anyway, here's the new set up!

Attachments

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Yes that's better. It's definitely fat enough for more than a week, 2 weeks. Mine is about the same size as yours, slightly larger. And it finally ate after 1.5 weeks (though it did drink in between!) I wouldn't have overflowed the caps esp because you have 2. I keep all my Ts bone dry, esp my Avics. I do the same same, putting ventilation around the sub as well, helps minimize mites due to mold.

For the Chaco, it happens. All you can do is provide water. I don't leave crickets in with freshly molted Ts nor ones that aren't accepting. Ts can get annoyed, stressed out with a cricket roaming around. At that point, they either go vertical, or just kill it and don't eat it at that point IME. They are a tough species, so hopefully it will be OK when you get back. Good luck

cold blood

Staff member
that pulchripes will need a little time to harden up and stretch out a bit after the molt. A week is actually a good timeframe to leave your t alone anyway post-molt. It will be ready for food when you return, I wouldn't worry about it, little guy should be just fine.

Buggidy

Arachnopeon
Thanks guys! I really appreciate the feedback. Glad to know my little ones should be okay while I'm away. As for next time, I won't overflow the caps.