Favorite Species

bscheidt1020

Arachnoknight
Just wondering what your personal favorite species is and why? I mean the one that you will always have at least one of in your collection and the one that you could have multiples of and not be bored! Mine are all slings so I will not know for sure until they grow up…right now the best I can do is narrow it down to a few genera!

Germx

Arachnopeon
I really enjoy E Campestratus for their good looks and docile nature. OBT's are a favorite also for their exceptionally bad attitude. I like versicolors also.

Beary Strange

Arachnodemon
It may be obvious by my name but M.balfouri for me. A large part of it has to do with their communal behavior, which I find fascinating and can't wait to have one (or five) communals of myself; the fact that they're gorgeous certainly doesn't hurt.

exitium

Arachnopeon
Loving the Psalmopeuos genus. They seem to have a lot of personality.

bscheidt1020

Arachnoknight
Sweet choices so far! I have not gotten into Avics yet but Balfouri, OBT, and Psalmopoeus are all on my "must have" list. The Balfouri is too expensive as of now…figure I will wait til I have been in the hobby a bit longer to drop the coin on a couple of those! My Suntiger is a nervous little thing and I am really looking forward to a few Cambridgei. I hear they are a little less frantic than Irminia.

SamuraiSid

Arachnodemon
P. irminia

After getting an emperor scorpion as a birthday present, I stumbled onto this site in search of like minded people, and useful advice. After seeing a picture of a mature female P. irminia Ive been hooked on Tarantulas.

T. stirmi is easily my second favorite, and GBB holds #3.

My wifes #1 is GBB, for its gorgeous colouration and interesting webbing habits. I highly suggest people set these up as (semi) arboreals.

awiec

Arachnoprince
My p.platyomma, Birdy, probably steals the show, very handsome little spider and will just eat everything. Also is relatively cooperative whenever I need to do some maintenance and is a little digger.

bscheidt1020

Arachnoknight
My p.platyomma, Birdy, probably steals the show, very handsome little spider and will just eat everything. Also is relatively cooperative whenever I need to do some maintenance and is a little digger.
I want to get into Pamphobeteus myself….How old is Birdy? I want to see what a mature female looks like, but all the Platyomma pictures I see make em look like P. Cancerides. Is that correct or are there differences?

---------- Post added 03-19-2014 at 11:54 PM ----------

The Pokies, for color, size, behavior.
Pretty hard to argue with that! It is an incredible genus!

awiec

Arachnoprince
I want to get into Pamphobeteus myself….How old is Birdy? I want to see what a mature female looks like, but all the Platyomma pictures I see make em look like P. Cancerides. Is that correct or are there differences?
Mine don't have adult colors yet (give it a year) but from what I've seen there is large variety of color difference, some get the pink/purple on the legs or just the head. Also P.platyomma is sometimes listed as P. sp platyomma or P. sp so it may explain the wide color difference. Though I can usually tell the difference between the species since platy is usually the one that gets the very vibrant colors; but even if mine don't the personality makes up for it. The best way I can tell it from P.cancerides is by the carapace markings, the pattern seems different and Pamphobeteus don't have leg bands. Also the slings are totally different, platy slings have orange with black stripes on the abdomen, blue legs and a peach and black carapace; so you get a nice splash of color when they are little (they still manage to blend in).

Last edited:

Wildenthusiast

Arachnosquire
Loving the Psalmopeuos genus. They seem to have a lot of personality.
While it is certainly difficult to chose a favorite, I am inclined to +1 here. The Psalmos in general have great coloration, just enough attitude to make for interesting personalities, and are accomplished constructors. Pokies are pretty rad as well, but their skittishness puts them just behind first place for me.

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Stromatopelma calceatum all the way here. Ive got 4 adult females, 1 mature male, 1 immature male, 3 immature females, and multiple juvies and slings. Always looking to snag more of these up when i can. I guess since they were the first species i produced and being they are a arboreal baboon, makes them most appealing to me. Alot of people are concerned with their speed and venom, but actually the act pretty much the same as a Poecilotheria.

Ghost Dragon

Arachnopeon
I have a couple of slings I can't wait to see when they get older: G. pulchra & P. irminia, just for the colouration. I'll be getting 5 pokie slings next week, and love the pattern on them as well. :)

My pulchra would have to be my favourite, a great little eater, and very active.

MarkmD

Arachnoprince
It's hard for me cause i like all mines equally, but OBT just for "defensiveness"/colours and LP/Klugi cause of appetite and size.

prairiepanda

Arachnoknight
My favorite species right now is Euathlus sp. red/yellow, for temperament, visibility, and aesthetics. Wonderful spiders! My favorite individual, though, is my C elegans. She's such a sweetie! Raised from 2i(itty bitty beyond belief!) and I can't get over how adorable she is. She's not as shy or skittish as Cyriocosmus sp. typically are, though, which is why C elegans is not my favorite species.

ReclusiveDemon

Arachnosquire
My favorite among the tarantulas I own is my Poecilotheria metallica at the moment. She's beautifully colored, and she's a Poec, one of the coolest genera there is! Her behavior is uncharacteristic of her species in that she spends lots of time out in the open for my viewing pleasure!
http://i.imgur.com/Hg9y5Np.jpg?1
http://i.imgur.com/C39b4yw.jpg
Considering how exotic and rare they are, as well as their beauty, I consider her the crown jewel of my collection!

It's hard to choose an all-time favorite because they're all very pretty in different ways. I think all of my T's are beautiful!

Yentlequible

Arachnoknight
Brachy's for their size and beauty. Psalmos for their personality. Every one of my Psalmo's acts so different and they are all so energetic. Very fun species to feed and observe.