Bisphenol A

skotikus k

Arachnopeon
Though I realize the chemical in the title can't be anything more than controversial/speculation, I just didn't know what else to title it. (I also found no mention of BPA in AB anywhere. What I actually wanted to know- if anybody has came across any non-climbing pokies. I've seen better acrobats in jumbo south American spiders than my P. Miranda, who also has this tendency with spasms (though not very often, seldom enough to avoid naming it some DKS.) The other thing is -it ate for the first time in roughly 6 months, shes not even @ the 2" mark. Hum/temps good, only thing that stands out was the water dish, a plastic cap I left in there for some time. Soo i typed BPA in the search but seeing that it's only 3 letter's, no results. Again, I know nothing can really be proven but hey I'm paranoid and need some assurance...Just askin what you all THINK, any affects caused by Bisphenol A water source??

prairiepanda

Arachnoknight
I'm not sure about US legislation, but in Canada BPA is prohibited in any plastics that are intended to be toys, or to be in contact with food or drink. So as far as bottle caps are concerned, anything from a bottle that I would drink from is safe. If it's a cap from, say, motor oil, then it might contain BPA, but I would be more concerned about the fact that it was in contact with motor oil. Even if the US doesn't have any similar legislation, common products that are also available in Canada(Pure Life bottled water, as a random example) would have to follow Canadian regulations since they are sold here.

Also, BPA is mostly associated with flexible plastics, so even a motor oil cap is unlikely to contain BPA even though it's allowed to.

I really doubt your problems are caused by BPA. I've never heard of anyone seeing those symptoms when BPA might have been a factor. I would look into possible chemical poisoning from other sources, such as the feeders you use.

Last edited:

natebugman

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I'm with prairiepanda on this one. I use plastic milk jug caps or soda bottle caps for almost all of my smaller immature tarantulas and I never had any problem with them other than finding them either full of substrate, spider poop, or just turned over or taken into a hide. I don't think BPA's are the problem.

Smudgereeroo

Arachnopeon
Hi there,

Just saw "Bisphenol A" and thought maybe I could help. I did my thesis on the effects of BPA on zebrafish oocyte maturation, so I know a bit about it. And I'd have to say that a) I agree with the other respondents that BP is unlikely to be in the plastic, and b) even if it was, it wouldn't be the culprit of your T's problems. BP is an endocrine disruptor, specifically an estrogen mimic, and very few insects even have estrogen. The effects of BPA exposure include feminization of males and early onset of puberty/sexual reproductivity in species that have estrogenic signalling.
My geeky 2 cents worth :)

Smudge

skotikus k

Arachnopeon
Well it wasn't exactly a drinking cap, not sure what it was was or of the plastic #, even if food containers are presumed free of possible leeching. Also didn't consider feeders- the source is consistent plus universal without having any related issues. Maybe during the pokies former care. I see what you all are saying though and happy to rule out BPA (cos of the lil guys, im somewhat of a germaphobe) Worrying about something you can't even see kinda sux but I'm gettin better n thanks to u all and entire AB, startin to let go and let "nature" run its course. I appreciate all the comments, if what is known about BPA mostly concerns the hormones in mammals than I suppose it wouldn't make since for me to start drawing parallels to my Ts cos I'm crazy.