Stange Creature in Tarantula Enclousure

Philly

Arachnopeon
I just found this weird thing in my T's house and I literally ha
ve no idea what it is. I thought maybe you guys could help.
image.jpg
Sorry for the poor picture quality. I hope you can make out what it is.

prairiepanda

Arachnoknight
If kept moist, it will turn into a beetle that some Ts love to munch and others will ignore. It's not a threat to your T, and may or may not become a tasty snack.

However, if you've never fed it mealworms before, then you should remove it as you don't know where it came from.

Philly

Arachnopeon
I have fed her super worms before but not regular mealworms. I'm gonna keep the thing in a seperate container and see what it turns into, I'll report back once it emerges.

friendttyy

Arachnolord
That is a superworm pupae since you never fed it meal worms. BTW don't touch it, IT STINKS IF TOUCHED:mask:

natebugman

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Well, it is most likely the pupa of the superworm, Zophobas morio. The beetle that emerges from the pupa will be a black darkling beetle. Likely one of your superworms burrowed in before your tarantula could find and eat it.

---------- Post added 03-20-2014 at 12:41 PM ----------

BTW don't touch it, IT STINKS IF TOUCHED:mask:
I assume that you are talking about the adult beetles here. They can release a pungent smelling substance if they feel threatened. I've never had one do it. I don't believe the pupae have any defensive capabilities other than wiggling their bodies when picked up.

CreepyCrawlies

Arachnosquire
Don't these only hatch whenever its really hot and humid? Wondering what kind of T is in that enclosure.

natebugman

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Don't these only hatch whenever its really hot and humid? Wondering what kind of T is in that enclosure.
They will pupate at room temperature in dry substrate. But unlike regular mealworms, they will only pupate if they are separated from other larvae.