Tarantula prey item w/ unidentified "bugs" (what are these?)

Curious jay

Arachnodemon
From the vid I'd say scavenger mites too, as they aren't attached to the roach and feeding off it as a host, looks like they're cleaning particles from the hard to reach areas.

kean

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
those are ticks, like the ones found on dogs and cats.. they usually thrive on soil then transfer to a dog or cat's fur and serve it as host.. these are external parasites.. btw those are also small arachnids so it would not harm your T's.. they only cling on to mammals and sometimes birds and reptiles and feed off the blood.. but it's better not to have them with your roaches or inside your home.. cause they also cling on to humans at times..

oops i did not see the videos, but from first look i really thought it was a tick.. haven't seen those kind of mites before.. just the ones that are so tiny you wouldn't even see any legs on them..

Last edited:

Tongue Flicker

Arachnobaron
mite or a tick.. i wouldn't let it suck some blood to be sure it is a tick though. kill it!! :D

sweetypie

Arachnoknight
I recieved a message from someone "in the know"...
See below.

They have beneficial symbiotic relationship. The mite cleans the roach and if separated from that particular roach , it will search for the same roach and will starve to death if it does not find that roach. That means, not only is it not a parasite but it can not live on another animal. Here's a site that explains it. If only people could be as loyal to
each other as these guys are to their roach.

http://researchnews.osu.edu/archive/roachmite.htm

Rest assured, they are the opposite of dangerous. If you want to get rid of them , you can wash them off in warm water. Your hissers might be miffed at you for getting rid
of their little buddies. They have been studied extensively and can not live separated from the roach they were born on.