Most dangerous Scorpion in the world?

Bug collecter

Arachnopeon
Hi Guys

I was wondering what is the most dangerous scorpion in the world and would u die if u didnt get medical treatment? thanks.:)

Tim R.

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Please correct me if I'm wrong guys.

Leirus quinquestriatus has the most potent venom, but Androctonus australis delivers a larger amount of venom, making it more of a threat.

Could you die from the sting without medical attention? They say a healthy adult would surive, but the young and elderly might not.

Keep in mind you can die from a bee sting if your allergic.

carpe scorpio

Arachnoking
Old Timer
This is correct, however I feel that Tityus Serrulatus kills a great many people due to the fact that it is a more house-infesting species. It is also more likely to spread to other port cities and can breed more quickly as a result parthenogenisis.

Last edited:

Kugellager

ArachnoJester of the Ancient Ones
Arachnosupporter
Mexico still holds the statistical record for the most yearly deaths attributed to scorpion envenomation...though in the last few years this has gone down. The main problem in Mexico is that there are several species of Cnetruroides that do well in Human created environments and the ground litter that goes along with human occupaiton of an area. Most of these species are also house infesting. The venom of many of them is comparable to several of the Androctonus genus...though in smaller amounts.

John
];')

carpe scorpio

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Yes, it is the tendancy of the foraging bark scorps (Centruroides/Tityus) that makes thier contact with human dwellings inevitable.

fusion121

Arachnoking
Old Timer
it depends on your definition of dangerous but as mentioned above Centruroides species definitely hold the record for the greatest number of people killed according to WHO statistics. In terms of the species you'd least want to get stung by it would probably be A. australis. But then its worth noting there could be worse, LD50 values are an acknowledged inaccurate measure of toxicicity to man since they assume a correlation in biochemistry between mice and men. And of course not all scorpion species have even had their LD values recorded, so its not an easy question to answer. I just take the view that getting stung in any form is to be avoided